1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impetuous Order, Super-Jump and Smoke Grenade dodge Question

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Anonymous, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, so here it is.

McMurrough activates with his Impetuous Order he is in contact with a wall he can jump over with his Super-Jump skill.
    He must do this, however, upon landing he generated an ARO to a Sniper Trooper who declares shoot as his ARO.

Can McMurrough attack with a smoke grenade to dodge the shot in a FTF roll?
    Taking into account Jump here becomes a short movement skill due to Super Jump, Jump + Attack does not seem a valid skill declaration, in the second bullet point it says.

"Impetuous Orders allow only a number of fixed combinations of Common Skills, as indicated by the Impetuous Order Chart. During an Impetuous Order, you cannot declare Skills or combinations of Skills not in the Impetuous Order Table."

Airborne Deployment
    Move + Activate (Activate + Move)
    Move + Attack (Attack + Move)
    Move + Dodge (Dodge + Move)
    Move + Idle (Idle + Move)
    Move + Move
    Jump
    Climb

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

RAW no, Jump + BS Attack is not allowed as an Impetuous declaration.

Note, nobody* plays it that way. Everyone* plays it that Super Jump allows you to declare Jump + CC Attack/BS Attack/Dodge/Idle. I highly recommend that you do too.

* That I am aware of.

chromedog likes this.
  3. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Why is this not FAQed yet? It doesn't seems logical at all, and it puts impetuous models with advanced movement skill in a disadvantage if the RAW is enforced.
    It would be as easy as adding. "If the impetuous trooper have any skill or equipment that let him use the common abilities Jump or Climb as short movement skills, they may use them instead of the common ability "move" in the Legal combination of skills table."

chromedog and Hecaton like this.
  4. inane.imp

It's not an issue for Climbing Plus because they can declare Move on a vertical surface.

Basically, for a long time Infinity has run on the fact that a community of people have understood how the game has been intended to be played and have played it that way despite what RAW may be. This grew out of the fact that the RAW English version of N1/N2 was (reportedly) unplayable. This is increasingly no longer the case.

KestrelM1 likes this.
  5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what defines a model as "climbing"? If a model deploys on a vertical surface, they haven't declared Climb skill, does that mean they can declare Dodge or BS Attack as long as they avoid trying to move?

6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Climb
    I think that covers it.

chromedog, Wolf and Mahtamori like this.
  7. inane.imp

As long as the user is holding on to a vertical surface, he cannot declare any Skills other than Climb.

This has, with the exception of ladders, been read as being universally applicable IE. It does not rely on the skill Climb having been declared.

Admittedly, thanks to the diagram, it gets a touch weird with respect to ladders (it usually being played that you can declare BS Attacks and Dodge while on a ladder).

See my earlier point [emoji14]

https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/prone-and-ladders.590/

https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/holding-to-ladders-and-shooting.26877/

chromedog likes this.
  8. Mahtamori

Well, it's tangential, but reading the climb skill as directed does answer a question from the weekend's big tournament; i.e. you're still climbing and can't declare BS Attacks while on a ladder. The more on topic to this would be that moving on ladders has the potential to possibly block the use of some skill combinations, more precisely (and reading it as literally as possible) you can only declare Move+Move if your first Move doesn't clear the ladder since Idle is not allowed while Climbing

xagroth likes this.
  9. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

It's true, climbing plus just let use move to that, my bad. But the other case should get fixed, it's not good having too many of these "common agreement" rules, specially when fixing it is as easy as a line in the next FAQ.

10. inane.imp

It really doesn't tell you that though, look at the diagram ;)

11. Mahtamori

What diagram?

12. inane.imp

The one showing a model shooting while on a ladder (General Movement Rules, Ladders and Stairways).
    [​IMG]

13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I'm actually down with stopping McMurrough from doing that. Would slow him down.

14. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

But don't forget superjump is "optional", so no superjump has to be declared with impetous order. You will do jump if is the shortest path, if don't you only walks.

15. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

But even with that it's a pretty weak excuse for that rule, climbing plus and other optional skills works just fine in an impetuous order.

And also thematically is odd. Impetuous try to represent a frenzy model that really want to reach the other guy. But that suddenly forgets that he can just jump over the building AND rip his ass in the same order... so he just jumps and let him get a free shot :/

Urobros likes this.
  16. Mahtamori

Not sure I'm willing to trust that that diagram shows the unit shooting and not showing it getting shot. Particularly since the climbing diagrams were outright showing breaking the rules until a recent faq errata and that jump diagrams show models jumping through (not around) scenery when jumping downwards.

17. inane.imp

I get you. I'm just pointing out that it's not as clear as it should be. Last time we discussed this I used the diagram to 'prove' that you could BS Attack while on a ladder. I'm no longer so certain.

Wolf likes this.
  18. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

When you use a ladder you are not climbing but using the move skill to move up that vertical surface, it's kind of similar than when you are using climbing plus.
    I'd say it working as climbing plus (you can attack or ARO but get no benefice for cover) would make sense. But the stair part is not detailed or in a FAQ/example, so it's not so clear.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation