1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsolved question list

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Arkhos94, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

A decent issue that that thread raises is "So what do you have to reveal when a camo'd Sensor prevents recamouflage? Do you have to identify the camo marker that prevented it (it stays a camo marker), or just say that it was prevented?" It has the potential to get really awkward, since you may or may not have had to double check that the camo marker was within ZoC to prevent it.
    "Hold on a sec, I need to measure to see whether this camo marker is within ZoC for no particular reason... And your recamo fails."
    With bonus rules question points because Sensor is labeled as Optional, so are you supposed to have the option of opting out (don't measure or check) if you don't want to give away that your camo'd Sensor trooper is there?

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

ZoC measuring will always be a matter of best judgement whether it needs to be checked or if it's clearly outside of range, and yes this may reveal your trooper's secret identity without managing to deny the re-camo attempt.

As Solkan points out, Sensor is Optional and when reading Camouflage and Sensor, it's clear that the re-camo denial is an effect of the Sensor skill and can thus be waived prior to measuring if you don't want to give your opponent any information.

BLOODGOD likes this.
  3. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Oh yeah that's the same question

4. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Not really. Even the issue @solkan points out seems to fall in line fairly well with already established rules. You measure to see if someone skirting your mine is actually within the trigger area, which effectively reveals the fact that you have a mine even if they end up being outside the trigger area after measuring.

Mahtamori likes this.
  5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The only sane way to measure ZOC is that at Resolution the ZOC of all active Troopers can always be measured if either player desires it.

#85 inane.imp, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Section9, daszul and solkan like this.
  6. Mahtamori

That is one mechanic to use for it, very Warmahordes 2nd Ed (if everyone was a 'caster), but I wouldn't go so far as suggest that it's part of the rules since it's clearly not allowed under the current version of the rules.

BLOODGOD and toadchild like this.
  7. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

If a mine is behind a waist-high barrier from a trooper with a direct template weapon, and said trooper successfully performs an Intuitive Attack on the mine, what happens? Does it make an armor roll (and thus reveal itself)? Nothing? Something stranger?

When troopers move through each other, do they "vault" or simply phase through each other?

When are mines removed? The rules say "after triggering" but when is this, explicitly? Immediately? At the end of an order?

Can the hacking program Goodnight be used on a posthuman (who has Remote Presence) in NWI state? Ditto for Su Jians in NWI and Karakuris in Dogged.

radka likes this.
  8. Mahtamori

As answered by IJW previously; no, you just inform your opponent that the trooper or device behind the Camo token is not S2, because the camouflage marker doesn't have any stats.
    Since the rules for moving through friendly troops never mention vaulting, you clearly do not vault over them.
    While this is hardly ever relevant (so why spend too much time on it), I'd say that yes it's explicit that it is removed as a direct and immediate consequence of triggering.
    https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/in-extremis-recovery.26574/#post-198589
    And yes, it sucks.

toadchild likes this.
  9. Mahtamori

During an Impetuous Order;
    Q: Can an Impetuous Trooper choose to move towards a target that is equal amount of orders, but further away?
    Q: Can an impetuous Trooper choose to move towards a target with a sub-optimal expenditure of orders (dismount from bike)?
    Q: Can an Impetuous Trooper freely choose which type of movement order from the list of legal orders e.g. in order to avoid having to take fall damage?
    https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/impetuous-move-direction-questions.27092/
    (More links to related questions in Solkan's answer to that thread)

radka and Vanderbane like this.
  10. Hecaton

@Mahtamori be that as it may, still worth getting official clarification. The "vaulting through models" is a mistake I've encountered in multiple metas, usually alongside people who insist that it's silhouette height and not silhouette attribute that determines who can move through who.

#90 Hecaton, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    oldGregg and theradrussian like this.
  11. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

Updated with :
    - CC when attacked from the back
    - impetuous movement questions

12. Mahtamori

Regarding moving through friendlies: what makes you think they'll read the FAQ if they don't read the rulebook?

Section9, Icchan, BLOODGOD and 2 others like this.
  13. Hecaton

They claim there's ambiguity (troopers vault over "obstacles" and obstacles isn't defined in the rules) and removing that ambiguity would set them straight, I think.

The reason I think it's FAQ worthy is I've encountered it in multiple metas, on opposite sides of the US. Clearly something is driving people towards that interpretation, whatever it is, and it'd be good to get it cleared up.

14. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

@Arkhos94, can you add another question about impetuous? In a recent thread @solkan put forth a good theory that while jumping may be mandatory sometimes for Impetuous moves, you only count it if you can actually land on the ground - falling does not create a “path” that impetuous can follow. This fixes some of the issues with impetuous troops suicidally leaping off of buildings instead of using the stairs.

https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/impetuous-move-direction-questions.27092/#post-210603

oldGregg and DukeofEarl like this.
  15. Mahtamori

I think it's a common mistake to make, because it's intuitive to have one rule for all types of movement and leaping over your friendly four-legged REM is also intuitive, but simply reading the rules a second time solves it so I don't think an FAQ entry changes anything.

Edit: I mean, we are both aware this FAQ is answering the frequently asked questions, but instead aims at the difficult ones.

#95 Mahtamori, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    toadchild likes this.
  16. Hecaton

I dunno @Alphz what do you think would solve it for your playgroup?

17. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

The only issue we have is the commonly mistaken height vs attribute which as mahtamori points out, could be solved with a decent second read if the game was hinging on it. It falls into the "nice to be clarified" but ultimately not that big a deal.

18. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

A reason why height vs attribute is a mess is because in English it is attribute, in Spanish it is height.

19. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It's based on the Attribute/Atributo in both languages.

By the way, allied troopers, and only allied, whose Silhouette Attribute be equal or inferior to the trooper's Silhouette Attribute does not block his Movement.

Del mismo modo, las tropas aliadas, y sólo las aliadas, con un Atributo de Silueta igual o inferior al Atributo de Silueta de la otra tropa tampoco obstaculizan su Movimiento.

20. Durian Khaar

Durian Khaar It's clubbering time...
    Warcor

This is interesting and a bit confusing because:
    A Silhouette 3 Remote can pass a S2 Human-sized Unit, but not the other way round. On the other hand, a S3 Scenery Object (most Objectives) is smaller than the S2 Silhouette and can be passed over by a S2 Unit

oldGregg and theradrussian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation