1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thoughts on Play by intent

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Death, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hah hah. I sure as shit believe that. :grin:

2. Varred

Varred Well-Known Member

Let me put it that way.

The elitist approach that nothing can be premeasured and physical skill in eyeballing, placing models and so on is what killed WFB.

Lets try to think on that a little bit, that even the oldest of us wargamers came to mremeasure everything in 9th Age now.

3. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Bostria allowed it and said it was legal (whether or not that was sincerity or sarcasm, who knows).

However, considering how brutal I've seen him be in these videos, I'd be surprised if he'd let something like that slide if he wasn't cool with it.

Hecaton likes this.
  4. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

What did he take back though? Because it was a simple path to move, to speed up play he placed the model to indicate the intended destination, and Carlos cooperated to help Killian identify his intended location. Notice that the outcome of Carlos' cooperation is that Killian is forced further back than he otherwise would have wanted. Killian doesn't just keep the first position he placed the model and say "my intent was not to be seen".

Could it be that people arguing against "intent" think "intent" is Killian keeping the most extreme position and saying "my intent was not to be seen"?

Zewrath, Hecaton, Andre82 and 3 others like this.
  5. Cry of the Wind

Cry of the Wind Well-Known Member

Yea my groups in Calgary and Toronto are the same way. Tournament I was in a guy let me take back an entire order because I didn't realize you can dodge forward in reactive turn (I thought it was like a failed guts roll at the time) and if I did that order it would allow him to get a second model into LoF of my important button pusher if he passed his normal roll. That in turn would possibly killed my buttonpusher who was otherwise safe and had not yet pushed a button to tie the game (he of course failed and I lost). I was still new (still am) but with our local crew that isn't uncommon behaviour and for that exact reason. We don't like winning because the enemy made dumb mistakes over grey areas or misunderstood rules, we prefer them to make smart mistakes haha.

6. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Anyone happen to know what stretch goal we unlock when the thread hits 50 pages? :smile:

Fool, Hecaton, cazboab and 3 others like this.
  7. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Can someone please tell me how to place my model or a silly at its final destination without looking at it?

@Stiopa Hey man, you've been reasonable so far, can you really reconcile this? that you arent allowed to move to the position you want, that you have to just move in generalities and pray?

#927 daboarder, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  8. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

chibi bostria

Ebon Hand, Fool, Wolf and 2 others like this.
  9. Varred

Varred Well-Known Member

@Todd all people against Storm will get an I. P. ban on 100 pages. No stretch goals roll then. Sorry. Just dont look at your models. They are pretty and painted good, but rules disallow it ;p

Hecaton likes this.
  10. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Lol... okay. Seriously, I have a USAriadna Army to paint before the end of January. This thread is WAY too distracting. Hah hah hah.

Cry of the Wind and david_lee like this.
  11. daboarder

Warcor

12. Varred

Varred Well-Known Member

@taylor Just remember to paint without looking!!!
    Cheers all

Ebon Hand likes this.
  13. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

We can have an entire different discussion on another thread about this, remember, I am not arguing here about how it should be played I am explaining how it is played by the rules.

Nah I would let him take it back, playing 100% by the rules is not how the game is played in reality and it will never will be, things get forgotten, minor things change, some tactical decisions are not what they seem, even in tournament environment we are playing a game to have fun.

He didn't even make an intent statement, Bostria said him he moves to ARO and suggested he may not be wanting that and he took back his movement, technically speaking its not even played right, by pure rules even under PBI interpretation he should have defined the path and them measure to that position.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  14. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I wish. Lol. It's like 3000 km away from me. I'm in Sudbury, Ontario.

I think the guy that assembled these models assembled them without looking. :rage:

Varred and david_lee like this.
  15. daboarder

Warcor

but seriously, how do I place a model specifically where I want it without looking at it?

Zewrath, Ebon Hand, Hecaton and 2 others like this.
  16. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Despite probably being the most viable means of clearly demonstrating an idea or point I think we can safely dismiss most videos to date by being full of errors.

daboarder likes this.
  17. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I am growing tired of this argument, you just place the model silhouette marker were you think it is the best position without drawing LoF, using help from your opponent or other aids to micromanage your positioning, nobody said place the model blind or without looking.

And it has been stated several times already.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  18. Whaleofforum

Whaleofforum Well-Known Member

I am not arguing out of conceit. I don't know if there's a single person on this thread who knows who I am. I am interested in logical arguments being made and persuasion, for many reasons, including achieving the right way to play the game. I don't share the attitude you've adopted where someone who is not affiliated to Corvus Belli to the degree that satisfies you has no place in arguing the rules, and a presumption that everyone is debating this out of conceit rather than trying to articulate their opinion of how the rules work and how the game should be played. Both are relevant. Besides, Psychoticstorm said that playing by intent was valid, as I showed in post #770. There are differences between misspeaking, contradicting, and misinterpreting. This is not as black and white as you say it is.

Hecaton and david_lee like this.
  19. daboarder

Warcor

Mate, you're the one stating that theres a poorly defined point at which I can no longer adjust my model and have to suck it up. its nonsensical and farsical.

I can quote you where you just told me that im only allowed to look before placing it but somehow during the placement im not allowed to ensure its in the exact position I as the moving player want it to be.

its utterly nuts.

edit: Im not even trying to take the mickey, youve said I can look but I cant look when placing the model. Why am I not allowed to use my damned eyes to ensure that the model is placed in a location I as the moving player want it to be?

Zewrath, Ebon Hand, Hecaton and 2 others like this.
  20. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

No aids and no cooperation is dumb. It's bad for the game. It delays the inevitable. It is not open and honest. I know it's become the approach to dismiss the etiquette box, but if we are talking about creator's intent as a guiding principle, lets not ignore that open and honest is right there in the book as an Infinity virtue.

Ebon Hand, Hecaton, david_lee and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation