1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'merica in a month! (USAriadna Thread)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by taylor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hi guys,

I took on a USAriadna commission, and the client needs it for the start of February. Here are the primed models.

[​IMG]

Here is what I've got to paint.

3x Mavericks
    2x Desperados
    1x Devil Dog Team
    1x Dozed
    1x Remote
    1x HVT
    1x Marauder
    1x Foxtrot
    1x Minuteman
    7x Grunts
    1x Spec Op
    1x 112
    1x Van Zant

I'll update as I go!

2. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

You’re gonna paint more minis in a week than I have painted in a year?
    I hate myself.

3. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Lol... I painted almost 300 models this year... but don't feel it's fair to hold yourself to that standard. I'm a commission painter.. It's my second job.

4. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

By this year, i meant 2017... lol. It's only 14 days into this year. Lol.

5. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So, everything has a base coat, and I'm almost done the grunts. Here is my progress.

[​IMG]

6. bayushi

bayushi Well-Known Member
    Warcor

You paint way too fast. If only I had half your speed.....am on break from work and am only averaging at best 1.5-2 minis in a week. You sir are speed painting fiend.

taylor likes this.
  7. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hah hah. Thanks man. To be fair, the quality of your work is MUCH higher than mine. Also, I've been painting for 25 years, and almost two decades of that was Warhammer fantasy, which have HUGE model counts (kinda like how kings of war is now).... and I only got an airbrush like five years ago... so it was all by hand.

I appreciate the kind words though. Hopefully I'll have the grunts finished tonight. My client wanted the models for this Saturday, but I doubt that is going to happen. I told him best case scenario, fully painted and based by the 30th. After that, I have a few more local infinity commissions (some PanO) and then the entire assembly/painting of a guys Kingdom Death Monster pledge... and that NEEDS to be done by March 10th... as he is taking it to a convention in Toronto.

.... it's going to be a busy few months. If it paid better, if make it my full time job... Lol.

TheMethOfCookingArt and jherazob like this.
  8. bayushi

Warcor

I’ve been painting closer to 30++ years. And I just seem to be getting slower. To be fair I think we all started with GW or back then Citadel miniatures. I still have the original plastic beaky marines that come 30 to a box when 40k was first launched ...

I can’t paint fast enough to be a commission painter and I don’t have the patience or motivation to paint 30+ models of the same colour for a playable army anymore. Infinity suits me just fine due to low model count and variations in models and colours. (Nothing is as depressing as seeing 50+ space marines on the paint table needing to be painted in the same colour)

#8 bayushi, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    WolfofWinter, jherazob and taylor like this.
  9. bayushi

Warcor

Perhaps I should hit you up for a commission paint job.... :tearsofjoy:

10. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

You'd be surprised. The longer I game, the more I meet people that started with WMH or some other game... or even infinity when it started to go mainstream.

What I find frustrating is seeing these young pups that have been painting for a fraction of the time and are leagues ahead of an old timer like me.

Back when you and I started painting, there were no fancy tutorials... but those god awful GW painting guides in white dwarf (you remember the ones... 3 steps... bas coat, highlights, finished model completely based with that terrible green edging :tonguewink:). We essentially had to re-learn to paint in the early 2000s when online paint in guides became a thing... and old habits are like those pesky suryats... they die hard. :neutral:

It's good to see there is hope for me yet. Your most recent Druze stuff is inspiring. :grin:

11. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

you best file the sides of those bases smooth boy!

taylor likes this.
  12. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Lol... I will be.. at least that's something in my control. The amount of mold and flash on these models was pretty inconceivable... and hardened glue spills. I fixed what I could without tearing all the models down, stripping then, and starting from scratch. I'm not being paid for assembly. I don't mind doing some clean up, but time is money.

I'm kind of passive-aggressively hoping my client stumbles across this plog... Lol.

13. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Well.. It's Wednesday and I'm done painting the grunts (not basing mind you).

[​IMG]

Please keep in mind, the client is paying for tabletop quality - he doesn't want masterpieces, but rather just to have something painted he can put on the table.

Next up will be the devil dogs. I have some dental surgery tomorrow that is forcing me to miss our weekly dodgeball game - so I'll be at home plugging away at this. :grin: (like that... but with stitches.)

14. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I finished the dog portion of the devil dog unit. Not bad considering I have a mouth full of stitches and had some wicked bad nausea. :mask:

[​IMG]

15. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The dog now has a handler.

[​IMG]

16. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Getting closer! Almost finished the spec op for my client.

[​IMG]

WolfofWinter, Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  17. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Finished my client's "counts-as" dozer.

[​IMG]
    One more model and we are up to 200 points!!

Belgrim, Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  18. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Here is the full 200 points for my clients. Im going to try to get it up to 300 points by the weekend... but no promises. I have a massive Kingdom Death Monster commission due at the start of March.

[​IMG]

19. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So, here is a traktor mul. I have til February 14th, right? Hah hah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WolfofWinter and jherazob like this.
  20. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I took a quick break today from painting usariadna and decided to paint a pair of civvies for a client this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WolfofWinter, Belgrim and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation