1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scribbler's Painting Log

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Scribbler, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Scribbler

Scribbler Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Here is where I will be posting pictures of my models as I complete them. Below is a list of the armies that I collect by faction, with the list of units that I have already painted and posted. Each entry is permalinked, so you can just click on whichever entry you would like to see and be taken there.

Enjoy!

PanOceania

Yu Jing

Haqqislam

Ariadna

Light Infantry

112s
    Dozers
    Kazak Doktor
    Line Kazaks & Intel Spec-Ops
    Col. Yevgueni Voronin
    Frontoviks
    Streloks
    Kazak Spetsnaz
    The Unknown Ranger
    Airborne Rangers & Roger Van Zant

Medium Infantry
    Tankhunters & Vassily Plushenko
    Grunts, Intel Spec-Ops & Rosie Munroe
    Marauders
    Mavericks

Heavy Infantry
    Veteran Kazaks
    Ratnik
    Minutemen
    Blackjacks

Remotes
    Traktor Muls

Skirmishers
    Scouts
    Pavel Aleksei McMannus
    Foxtrot Rangers
    Hardcase Frontiersman

Warbands
    Dog-Warriors
    Antipode Assault Pack
    Irmandinhos
    Devil Dog Team
    Desperadoes

Combined Army

Light Infantry
    Med-Tech Obisdon Medchanoid & Slave drones
    Morat Vanguard Infantry & Treitak Spec-Ops
    Kurgats

Medium Infantry
    Raktoraks
    Yaogats

Warbands
    Oznats & The Hungries

Tohaa/Spiral Corps

NA2/Mercs

Light Infantry
    Wardriver

Skirmishers
    Kunai Solutions ninja

Warband

Liang Kai

#1 Scribbler, Dec 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    Golem2God, DaRedOne, Oni and 3 others like this.
  2. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Pics don't show up...

Koin-Koin and chromedog like this.
  3. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Same here.
    Looks like a login to your hosting location is required.

4. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

Are these linked from Google Photos? I found out the hard way that that tends to be problematic.

5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

As a general rule, you cannot use any of the big Walled Gardens (anything by Facebook, Google and probably Apple) to host pics to share somewhere else, they categorically don't want anybody wandering off from their corrals so they will fight against this, sometimes aggresively. Better to use an actual image hosting and/or web serving platform.

6. Scribbler

Huh, strange. Pictures were showing up just fine for me. Let me see if I can fix that.

EDIT: @jherazob, @Koin-Koin, @Uthoroc I tried going through Imgur to re-post the photos. Can you see the pics now?

#6 Scribbler, Dec 30, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    jherazob likes this.
  7. Koin-Koin

Not all but yes, much better.
    In doubt, open th page in a private tab, it helps a lot to identify issues.

jherazob likes this.
  8. Scribbler

I'll remember that in the future. I'm not particularly useful with computers, so any advice helps.

Also, out of curiosity, I only posted five pictures, but there looks to be some vestigial text that came with it. Can you see all five of the pics? Also, What happens when you click the link to Imgur? Does it send you to see all five photos?

Thank you!

Koin-Koin likes this.
  9. Koin-Koin

Yep 5 pics.
    The missing link should be traces of the previous links.
    And the link is working fine.
    Nice paint scheme btw​

10. Scribbler

I just finished painting my Yaogats. It took a lot longer than I expected it to, probably due to not starting out particularly enthusiastic about the unit. I hadn't imagined myself using them very often, but then I looked at their updated profiles and read @DaRedOne's MAF tactica. I now almost think I'd prefer them over Rodoks, at least in a haris. Despite this, it still took me a month to paint the whole squad.

During the process, I also tried experimenting with a different technique I hadn't used before (which I am call Layering), which was to work through the model in layers. In this case, the process was applying a grey basecoat and then painting the armor plates before coming in for the details. My previous method was to divide the model in my head into head, body, and individual limbs and paint those almost completely before moving on. This method is not particularly efficient, nor suitable for getting large numbers of models done at once, so I had been going through my collection one model at a time. Hopefully, the Layering technique will allow me to speed up the process and be more productive. Anyway, the final results are below.

If photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/R3MKi1X

Yaogat Group Photo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yaogat - Combi Rifle/Panzerfaust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yaogat - Boarding Shotgun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yaogat - Spitfire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yaogat - MULTI Sniper Rifle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oni, redeemer, jherazob and 3 others like this.
  11. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Oi mate! I'm glad you enjoyed the guide and got inspiration for your murder monkeys. And they're looking sweet too.

Love the sleek, dark look. Here's hoping your red-handed killers get to kick a lot of ass in the near future!

12. Scribbler

Thank you! For now, I'm letting a friend play Morats for our campaign. He's a very new player, but he seems to have picked up the game pretty easily. He really took me apart on the last game we played, so with time and experience, I'll bet he'll shape up to be a strong player!

Of course, I'm also looking forward to kicking ass with these morats at some point.

DaRedOne likes this.
  13. Scribbler

Edit 2/28/21: I decided that the Krakot was screwed up too badly, so I stripped the paint off of it and will start again. Pictures will be posted when he is been redone.

Here is my Krakot. I completed him a few months back, and then proceeded to screw up my paint job by over-applying the varnish. I tried to fix the frost by applying a gloss varnish (GW 'Aardcoat) and then reapplying the matte (Stormshield), with touch-ups where needed. Now that I'm done, I feel that my work on the Krakot is acceptable, but I think that the frosting was so severe that the 'Aardcoat didn't do much to help. With how badly I frosted some of my miniatures, I think I'm going to have to get in with a paintbrush and redo some of my work, which is frustrating. At least I now have an idea of what it takes to correct frosted miniatures.

#13 Scribbler, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  14. Scribbler

Here are the final results for the Worm Squad. These guys were, for the most part, a lot of fun to paint. I used some color combinations that I hadn't tried before: a base coat of Zandri Dust followed by an Athonian Camoshade wash. Originally, I was considering following up with a glaze of Death World Forest (as I had just discovered glazing), but the Zandri Dust and Camoshade combination looked so good that I decided that was unnecessary. However, I still attempted to use a glaze to produce a glow effect on certain parts of the models, which I think turned out quite well. The only thing that I didn't like about painting the worms was all of those dots along their sides, especially when their coils made it hard to get to them. Overall, I am super pleased with how they turned out, and I'm a little bummed that they aren't really auto-includes in CA lists anymore. However, I'm sure that I'll still get plenty of use out of them, and I can still show them off to other people.

If photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/uOAOXlG

Group Photo
    [​IMG]

Med-Tech Obsidon Medchanoid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slave Drones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

redeemer, Oni, DaRedOne and 3 others like this.
  15. Scribbler

Originally posted December 29, 2020

Out of all of the morats that I have done, I am the most satisfied with the Kurgats. This is purely because I think I now have a good grasp on properly sealing my paint jobs. All of the other morats that I have worked on have a serious Sugar Glaze of Doom because I heaped the Stormshield on too heavily, and I'm going to have to fix that. Once that issue is addressed, I'll post photos of my Vanguards, Rodoks, and Krakot, as well as the Worm Squad.

Enjoy!

If photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/1W5pghF

Kurgat Group Photo
    [​IMG]

Kurgat - Boarding Shotgun
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kurgat - Autocannon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Scribbler

Aaaand...Vanguards done and ready to go, finally! As the basic line troop of the MAF, they got the dubious honor of being the testbed miniatures for my morat theme and all of the hiccups that came with it. I already knew the general scheme that I was going to use on them: grey basecoat, black armor, and dark blue and green details. I also decided that I was going to base them using the leftovers of a mineral mining kit that I picked up from Hobby Lobby, which I did by gluing the dust to a texture paint and hitting it with a wash of Reikland Fleshshade. After this, I took took some unused kitty litter and glued that on using a thinned down PVA glue. Originally, I thought that I could seal the bases with some Stormshield, but the results were not very good and I couldn't be bothered to rebase my guinea pigs, so I left them as they are. I later discovered that applying a second layer of PVA over the kitty litter works much better, and it's now the base theme that I use for my whole MAF army.

Looking back, I'm super pleased with the entire scheme of the army as a whole, but I kinda wish that I had chosen an easier base scheme because the one that I'm using is pretty time consuming to make. The only other thing that I'm not super happy about is the amount of varnish I put the the Vanguards, but upon closer inspection I found that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, especially when taking my Rodoks and Krakot into account. Overall, I'm mostly happy with how they turned out, and I think the most extra work that I might do would be to redo the two bases that I varnished so they don't look so wonky next to the rest of them.

If the photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/FpE8ZEW

Group Photo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morat - Combi rifle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morat - Hacker
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morat - Machine gun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morat - Missile Launcher
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morat - K1 Sniper rifle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Treitak Spec-Ops
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyat - K1 Combi rifle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oni, jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  17. Scribbler

And now we move on to some of the more awkwardly posed models in MAF: the Raktoraks. I honestly don't have much to say about working with these guys because the Raktoraks are basically Vanguard models with slightly different armor and helmets. The only thing that threw me originally was that they have those large pauldrons, and I was worried that painting them solid might throw off the proportions of the rest of the scheme and make them look weird. I found that this did not happen, and I personally find them to look really cool and distinct with solid Kantor Blue pauldrons. I later noticed that I also painted the Vanguard hacker's pauldron the same way, so I even managed to stay consistent with the rest of the morats.

I also tried experimenting with making a rusty pile of tactical junk by using an Agrax wash and a Skrag Brown drybrush, however I think that I went too heavy on the wash and turned the Leadbelcher base into bronze. I guess that means that the metal is really rusted then. I'm also considering looking into ways that I can weigh down the vulkan shotgun Raktorak just because of how off-balance he can be, but that would be for a future project.

If the photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/S1vNcm0

Group photo
    [​IMG]

Raktorak - Combi rifle/Light flamethrower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raktorak - Vulkan shotgun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oni, jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  18. Scribbler

Here are my finished Oznats and Hungries. The Oznats were interesting to paint, as they are modeled quite differently from the other morat troops I've painted so far. For instance, they don't have a lot of armor on their shoulders, which meant that I had to adapt my paint scheme in a way that I hadn't expected. I also couldn't paint a blue rim on their kneepads, so there is a lot less blue on the Oznats than on any other morats. I think that it actually works quite well, because the Oznats feel distinct from the usual morat regiments, so I like the idea of them looking a little different from everyone else.

The Hungries were an interesting story. Originally, I thought that painting them would he difficult as I'd never painted a giant space bug before. But as it turned out, they were super easy to paint; I just needed to apply a basecoat and detail the claws and heads and put a drybrush on certain parts of the model. Once the wash was applied, I just needed to do a minimal amount of highlighting, and they were done. I did have to come back and do a few touch-ups after varnishing them, however, and there's still a visible Sugar Glaze of Doom on their limbs, particularly on the Gakis. However, it wasn't quite bad enough to make me strip the paint and start over, so I left it as is. Luckily, by this point, I was starting to figure out that I needed to go easier on the varnish, so I didn't screw up my Oznats with it.

If the photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/8ikeKyb

Group Photo
    [​IMG]

Oznat - Combi rifle/Smoke grenade launcher
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oznat - Vulkan shotgun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Hungries - Gakis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Hungries - Pretas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#18 Scribbler, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    redeemer, DaRedOne, Koin-Koin and 5 others like this.
  19. Scribbler

Now for something different: USAriadna. I finished completely painting my USAriadna at the end of 2019, but the way that their bases turned out at the time was an absolute abomination of red and brown that needed to be redone. Considering that I had never rebased a miniature before, this was quite the learning experience, but the end result is a work of art, in my opinion. To accomplish this, I started with a basecoat of GW Agrellan Earth and a drybrush of Karak Stone. I followed up with a wash of Seraphim Sepia before finishing it off with another drybrushing, this time with Ushabti Bone before sealing it with a coat of Lahmian Medium. For the finishing touch, I attached a grass tuft with some elmer's glue.

The first rebased USAriadnan to hit the spotlight is the Unknown Ranger himself. I don't have much to comment about on the process of painting him, as I'll go into detail about how I went about painting my USAraidna when I post the photos of my Grunts, as they were the template that I used to develop the theme. The only thing worth noting is that I discovered that putting another layer of wash on the model can work wonders for getting rid of a Sugar Glaze of Doom, even though the photos below might suggest otherwise. I don't think I put the wash on his spitfire, which is where it is most obvious.

EDIT (October 19, 2021): New pictures of the Unknown Ranger after I did a quick touchup on his AP Spitfire

If the photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/eqfdFiA

The Unknown Ranger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#19 Scribbler, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    jherazob, Oni, DaRedOne and 2 others like this.
  20. Scribbler

Grunts finished and ready to hit the table. This is probably the unit that I am most excited about fielding, not only because Grunts make up the backbone of USAriadna, but because I also love the models. For their paintjob, which I used as the standard for my USAriadna, I started with a basecoat of Zandri Dust, which covers the majority of the model. I left their plate carriers, backpacks, and boots untouched, and for the rest of their uniforms, I striped on Abbadon Balck, Castellan Green, and Mournfang Brown to make a camouflage pattern that should be reminiscent of the modern day multicam used by the US Army. For their armor plates, I used Deathworld Forest. I was originally planning on painting some wooded furniture on their weapons as well, but I changed my mind on that because most modern weapons have polymer furniture, and Ariadna is at least technologically advanced enough to produce plastic. The only exception to this is the machine gunner, who I had already painted on the wood finish.

I already went over how I did their bases, but I realized that I forgot a rather important detail, so I'll go over it again briefly. I started with a layer of Catachan Flesh on the base before applying Agrellan Earth. The reason for this is because I found that putting Agrellan Earth on a flat black base produced some very dark cracks that didn't look natural to me, whereas the brown showing through the cracks looked much more like what you'd find in nature. After I let the Agrellan Earth dry, I drybrushed on some Karak Stone, washed with Seraphim Sepia, drybrushed with Ushabti Bone, and then sealed with Lahmian Medium before applying a grass tuft.

If photos don't show up, try this link: https://imgur.com/a/qES2aqC

Group Photo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grunt - Rifle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grunt - Light grenade launcher
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grunt - Heavy flamethrower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grunt - Machine gun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grunt - AP Sniper rifle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grunt - Intel Spec-Ops
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rosie Munroe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation