1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch build terrain tutorials?

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by evilmonkey, Jan 5, 2018.

1. evilmonkey

evilmonkey That man over there

I recently got that Infinity itch again after quite a while and need some terrain tutorials. I noticed we now have a new forum lacking all the great old tutorials for scratch building terrain. Anyone have links to some good scratch build terrain tutorials? I was looking for things to augment all my start set terrain(Icestorm, USArianda, and Red Veil). Scatter terrain and the odd building would be great. I loved the old cube building tutorials. I am trying to avoid laser cut right now as I lack the access.

Golem2God likes this.
  2. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

A very easy way to do some nice looking terrain is to buy card boxes, and print out textures you can find on the internet to glue to the boxes. It takes a little bit of work (resizing some of the textures, etc), but it's very affordable to do this way. I'm currently taking the next step and just making some papercraft terrain that is turning out quite nicely. You can check it out here.

Golem2God likes this.
  3. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

#3 chromedog, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    timberfox, cazboab and jherazob like this.
  4. chromedog

5. evilmonkey

The video was for the exact kind of buildings I was looking for. Sadly some of the other links didn't seem to want to work for me.

6. evilmonkey

The data sphere link was also very helpful.

7. aphexblue

aphexblue Well-Known Member

Test

#7 aphexblue, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

It seems the site changed layout, try http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/scifi_door_texture-200009.html or one of the 24 pages that appear (5 images in each, click those later). Sadly it seems many or all images have a text in left top corner, thus you will have to do some fixes if you want to use them.
    Failed, try again. *grin*

9. evilmonkey

Thanks. I am going to try to find some time this weekend to work on some terrain.

10. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

I had a whole folder of paper craft terrain somewhere...

11. chromedog

I still do.
    Combination of Ebbles, Worldworks (Rezolution stuff), and others. It's been migrated from several computers.

Slacker69 and xagroth like this.
  12. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Kids these days. So lazy, buying boxes. :smileycat: Save some money for important things, like more minis, and use boxes from various things you've purchased. You can reinforce them with corrugated cardboard inserts that you've made, if needed. For example, here in the USA, Celestial Seasonings tea boxes make for near perfect shipping containers.

Since we are discussing gluing printed textures, I am bringing over, from the soon to be dead forum, a great piece of advice from Eypyeash:
    The loss to the community of advice like this, and so much more, when the old forum goes patas arriba, is such a waste.

#12 Red Harvest, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    taylor, xagroth and jherazob like this.
  13. Mob of Blondes

Patas arriba? Already chaotic. *grin* Estirar la pata... some day.
    But archeologists will like an archive... *whistle*

14. evilmonkey

Wait the old forums still exist... For now? There was so much wonderful information on those forums especially for terrain.

15. Mob of Blondes

Yes, still up, but this Monday it should go read only. No clear date for final closing, or if CB will do some kind of archiving. Just like the other time, maybe users will archive it, just in case.

16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

I think the switch to read-only will be a mess. ( Patas arriba means, more or less topsy-turvey, in English.) We don't know yet the final fate of it. Maybe it stays as an archive. Maybe only for a few months. A good bit of the info was moved to the DataSphere some years ago, when CB planned to close down their forums altogether. So not all will be lost.

unclesrouce and chromedog like this.
  17. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

They said that, for a few months, the forum would remain as "read only". However, nothing prevents a migration of useful posts from the old forum to the new, and the pinning requires a PM to psychoticstorm.

If you think the original author of an important post has forgotten to migrate it, or has banished entirely, then just migrate it yourself, but remember to give the proper credit to the original author (and be ready to remove the post if he comes back asking you to, for example because he's writing a new version). That goes, for example, for bostria's modular builds and the like.

Also, a list of good places to buy some of the materials would be great, and I'm not talking about recycled ones XD

jherazob likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation