1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merry Christmas LGS!! December 2017 Challenge.

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by taylor, Dec 3, 2017.

1. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hey guys,

So, a few of you probably remember a couple of years ago I donated a metric ton of mdf terrain to my LGS for the Infinity Community. In the past two years, a lot of it has fallen into disrepair and needs to be replaced. I'm doing it this year with these.

[​IMG]

I have a ton of papercraft designs by Dave Graffam and a few others I'll be assembling throughout the month of December. I'll be posting my progress here - So stay tuned!

2. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

jherazob likes this.
  3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 is (slightly under) two years. Still, do they play football with the MDF buildings? Papercraft will last a month, with luck.

4. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Oh - lol. I just saw 2016.

The MDF doesn't "tetris" very well - it goes into bins, and it seems that it gets banged around enough that it's falling apart. I think people will be more careful with the papercraft, and if something does get destroyed, it's a lot more easily replaced than the mdf stuff.

5. Nincoreween

Nincoreween Macross Frontier Commander

Papercraft does have that advantage if it is built good.

6. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I just sent off 400 cardstock pages to get printed to make 4 tables. :grimacing:

The design of the Dave Graffam stuff is pretty solid, as all the walls are folded in half - so you have two layers of 100 lb cardstock glued together. I can't see it being any less durable than the Infinity cardboard terrain, which has lasted us years at our LGS. Here is a photo of a standard table layout we have there.

[​IMG]

7. Nincoreween

Nincoreween Macross Frontier Commander

It looks good and I would enjoy playing on a table like this.

taylor likes this.
  8. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!! :hushed:

[​IMG]

By the time this is done, I'm going to have 30x "small buildings", 15x large rectangle buildings, and 15x large square buildings. This also includes 15x Hab units, and 15x walkways that are 6" long.

The small buildings are 4" x 4" and 4" tall, the large rectangles are 6" x 8", and the large squares are 8" x 8". There are a few tall buildings in there (8" tall).

The cutting begins tonight... so stay tuned. :grimacing:

xagroth, Belgrim, snikch and 2 others like this.
  9. snikch

snikch Active Member

and its just a million dollar bill in paper for printing...just joking

Enviado desde mi ZTE Blade L5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

10. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I know a guy who deals in unicorn blood. That's what printer ink is made from, isn't it?

[​IMG]

unclesrouce, xagroth and Belgrim like this.
  11. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

unclesrouce and taylor like this.
  12. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Jesus. Not a bad idea, @jherazob !

Though it's the cutting I'm doing now.

[​IMG]

My wife and I burned through 200 pages tonight. Not too bad for five hours of work. :grimacing:

Hopefully I can finish the cutting tomorrow night and I can get to putting these bad boys together.

13. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

I admire your patience. I just got bored assembling and adding extra 3mm cardboards to Red veil and Operation Icestorm buildings. Assembling 400 pages of papercarft terrain sounds like pure madness to me, even when your wife is helping you ;)

Since you are doing this for your local community, why not involve some of its members as well?

jherazob likes this.
  14. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Thanks @Usashi !

It's like herding cats. They all have kids and stuff, and quite frankly, I would say it's less work to do it myself than manage a crew doing it. If they actually asked to do it, I would prefer they spend their time painting their models. :grimacing:

15. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So I got through about 400 sheets. As you can see, there are about 125 sheets in the background, but I wanted to put together a test building to gauge scale and durability. I'm pretty impressed.

[​IMG]

Obviously I need to do some finishing work on the edges (I spray some sepia wash through my airbrush on the edges to hide the cut-lines and it also adds a bit of a weathering effect). I also need to print out some ladders to match where they are on the roof bits. That's all coming at a later time though.

What do you think? Time well spent? This is a 6" x 8" building.

16. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely, time well spent, and you'e infinitely less lazy than me :tearsofjoy:

taylor likes this.
  17. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Definitely well spent.

You could print corner section separately and obscure the edges or adjust the project and add overlapping bleed in some areas

taylor likes this.
  18. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Thanks guys - that's not a bad idea, Usashi!

I wanted to do a "window test" with some frosted plastic pieces I got from the craft shop around my place. This is how it looks.

[​IMG]

And here is the same building from last night with the sepia wash applied via airbrush.

[​IMG]

19. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Add a light behind? So far it just looks plain grey.

20. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I'm actually thinking of adding silhouettes of people. The top level of these buildings have four windowed walls, so there will be a good amount of light shining through. :grimacing:

All the cutting is finished. I managed to complete five 6" x 8" buildings today. This should go rather fast now that it really is just folding and gluing now. :grin: A few members of our community are insisting on coming over and helping with assembly this week, so maybe we will have a full table to show off at the LGS by Saturday (our next scheduled infinity night).

I'll keep on posting as I progress this week.

Nincoreween likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation