1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting Operation: Icestorm

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by royalpain88, Feb 27, 2018.

1. royalpain88

royalpain88 Member

I bought this set on December 30, 2017 and here we are, February 26 and finally, progress. Now, onto a detailed report of my progress to date.
    1. It took me 2 days in between available time with commissions to assemble these, find out who is who and get them primered and painted a basic blue and red.
    [​IMG]
    Panoceania.
    [​IMG]
    NOMADS.
    [​IMG]
    After that, time got away from me but when time opened up again, I began work on the first 3 miniatures for Mission 1. I decided to paint the Alguaciles first. I asked a few weeks ago for the concept artwork since I liked how this look over the studio models. Don't get me wrong, those look fantastic but I liked how they looked in the concept artwork but couldn't find them really. I just saw glimpses on Beasts of War. The thread can be found here. https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/operation-icestorm-painting-help.1476/
    I done the areas that go in black first followed by painting the areas that go red.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next to be painted are the areas that go a dark gray. As a painter on a budget, I use paints found at Michaels or A.C. Moore or Wal-mart. The color is called Pavement as the red is called Red Tuscan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next are areas that go white. I used a white called Titanium White.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next, some areas and pistol grips went a lighter grey. I used a paint color called Dove Grey.
    After that, the lighted areas went a sky blue that I have forgotten about. Will edit this section when I return to the shop.
    [​IMG]
    With the uniforms done and touch ups applied, I painted the initial flesh tones. The flesh tones varied from craft paints to Tamiya and Vallejo and Model Master.
    [​IMG]
    The weapons were painted in a Model Master enamel paint called Gunmetal.
    [​IMG]
    The female Alguaciles clasp for her pistol holster, the raised portions of the guns magazines and dry brushing of the weapons went Tamiya X-10 Gunmetal.
    I have heard lots about Tamiya and I have treated mine with Tamiya's Paint Retarder and Thinner with excellent results.
    [​IMG]
    Next came the hair color. The dark skinned fellow I decided should look like Simon Phoenix from Demolition Man. Don't ask me why. I figured that since this is, from what I am told, an anime cyberpunk themed-ish game that the hair colors should be whatever I felt like they should go.
    [​IMG]
    Two things happened here. 1: Portions of the armor and uniform were tactfully done in Army Painter: Dark Tone wash. May need to correct this later.
    2: Fases were done in Army Painter: Flesh Tone wash to show off facial details better. Thus why our dark-skinned guys goatee was painted to more of a partial beard.
    [​IMG]
    Next, the eyes. This is why I did the wash. The eyes were easier to see and with a TINY brush seen in the background, I managed on the first try.
    [​IMG]
    With the eyes done, I redid the female and caucasian guys face.
    [​IMG]
    Next came the eye colors. I really need to do something about the lighting in my domain.
    [​IMG]
    Next came the hard part. Pupils. Why? Because I am a crazed person who prides himself with doing difficult tasks.
    [​IMG]
    Painted the bases in pavement to make them neutral for most games they may be fighting on and done.
    [​IMG]
    Well, not quite. I noticed that the wash brought out a funny detail with this guys right ear. It looked like a blue tooth looking thing so it was painted as such.
    And with that, the Alguaciles are 99.9% done. I have to seal them in a sealer that I use a lot of and next, Panoceania Fusiliers.

2. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Good work dude! These look fantastic. Keep up the great work! You nailed that red from the concept art perfectly.

3. royalpain88

royalpain88 Member

Now then, after a week of silence, I shall resume. Since I last typed this, I have begun work on the PanOceania Fusiliers.
    [​IMG]
    Besides their general spray of a light blue to tell the PanOceania units apart from the NOMADS, I had painted the inside portion of their pants and portions on the outside of the female Fusiliers pants Vallejo Khaki.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Back to the female Alguaciles. As can be seen, I painted her lips. Why? Because I can.

[​IMG]
    Now 2 things happened here. 1: The outside of their pants a Raw Umber color as the portions of their boots and armor that goes blue a Uniform Blue.
    [​IMG]
    As can be seen, I started with the black before the blue but decided against this idea and stopped. I am thankful the seams were modeled on these minis or this would of been a DIFFICULT task to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I resumed painting the black. This one was tricky but with a very good TINY brush, I managed. Whew.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As a model railroader at heart, I have access to some great model paints long before I ever heard of Vallejo. The brand is called Floquil and these are unfortunately unavailable. This particular color I used is called UP (Union Pacific) Gray. Plus I done additional touching up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I intentionally dimmed the brightness so the pink could show but it turned out to be far pinker than what it actually is. Oops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And we conclude with what I have done today. Their guns were painted in my favorite Model Master Gunmetal. More additional touching up was done as their sidearms were also done up. I should break from the concept art here and paint the pistol grips in a different color besides grey.
    And that's it. All that is left now is the dry brush the guns, repaint the pistol grips and proceed to their faces which consists of the initial skin paint, a wash of the faces, the whites of the eyes, eye color, pupils and skin touch up and then for skin and armor, a tactical application of a dark wash. That is still days worth of work with my current daily cycles.
    With snow in the forecast for this Wednesday, I may not be done with these 3 until probably next Monday. I be happy if sooner. Until next week.

jherazob and taylor like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation