1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morats Strengths, Weaknesses, and Revamp ideas N4 Edition

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by WiT?, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Urist

Urist Well-Known Member

I don't know how to post images on this forum without using an external site like Imgur, but the Infinity Discord channel has a list of models to be discontinued. Almost all of Morats is on that list to be discontinued in April, except the Raicho and Raicho Pilot.

It's certainly odd with TAG Raid Kickstarter having a bit of a focus on them with the Morat TAG, Prospector, Hunter, dog, the Dravot Engineer and Dravot Hacker.

2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

CB thinks they are an aggressive, combat orientated army, because they still don't fully understand the impact of vision mods on the game.

Because those are "tricks." Morats just use brute force, amirite? Nevermind that many of those "tricks" define brute force in Infinity (i.e. Mimetism -6)

This problem goes beyond Morats, vanillas in general are overpowered for this reason. Until vanilla factions have meaningful limitations, this will persist, but I imagine vanilla players would lose their shit if people started giving them those limitations.

That's because vision mods + fireteam bonuses are the most "brute force" thing in the game. Morats are not actually a brute force sectorial for this reason; CB might think they are, but they aren't. Corregidor is more brute force than them, and Corregidor has more hacking and other shenanigans too.

By design. Repeaters aren't supposed to overextend you in N4; they're supposed to represent unassailable zones where you can affect the battlefield with impunity. And factions like Corregidor are supposed to have non-LOS requiring attacks that don't allow counterplay, while giving up basically nothing in capability in response. Should have picked Corregidor or HB.

3. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Sounds odd that MAF is being discontinued. I heard nothing of the sort so I'm gonna take that info with a grain of salt.

If they are, the sectorial might get a final pass before that, so I'm not exactly sad either.

4. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

I would think that the timing may point to an Action Pack. If that is the case, they might get a MO like update.

5. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

What do people think of added 2x Imetrons to the faction instead of regular Gaki?

It's sort of like the EI keeping tabs on it's slave species, and they are veteran which ties into the army theme. But mostly, its just because Morats hurt for cheap orders and need something to help with that!

Also, their ALEPH counterpart gets them and we can't let that stand.

[​IMG]
    Post editor has a small picture of a landscape at the top, paste in a link in there to make it appear in a post.

Not gonna lie, my jimmies are rustled right now. I get the need to not produce everything for ever, but this seems to be their go-to for poorly designed sectorials rather than like, fixing them.

While you frame it more negatively than I would like, I actually agree with most of this. But fixing the entire game is beyond the scope of this project lol, the aim is to try and create a playable Morats within the head-scratching framework we've been given for them.

6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I think you'd be better served talking to CB directly.

7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'm also very curious now. Either their making room for another sectorial to be revamped, or they will get their own revamp.

The fact that the Raicho is the only one that stays honestly points to the latter. It's one of the most recent models to be updated, and the centerpiece of that army. So it would make sense for a new army to be built around that.

On the other hand, the fact that practically everything else is getting discontinued speaks against that. A lot of the Morat line was fairly up-to-date, so CB would shoot themselves in the foot to take out all of them, only to have to release new models for everything.

8. DaRedOne

Warcor

The first few models of that list have all been repackaged as C1 packages or gotten new sculpts.

So... I'm unsure? Still, I would doubt they'd make an MO-like remake for morats like this. However, we didn't get a profile for the Vurgok during TAG Raid so honestly it could go either way.

Most likely it's just an army that's discontinued. Although it is odd that they'd do that, since CA has 3 Sectorials and they said they wouldn't discontinue stuff from armies that have 3 sectorials.

Kinda feels like some important detail is being missed here.

9. TenNoBushi

TenNoBushi Well-Known Member

ALEPH has 2 Sectorials and one of them was discontinued, Haqqislam has 3 Sectorials with one of them mostly discontinued.
    I think it's more a question of global amount of stuff for all the range, what need a rework and what is selling.

LaughinGod likes this.
  10. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I always thought steel phalanx sold well. I certainly ran into enough SP players to suggest that.

If an army is selling bad, honestly, I think they should ask the community "why". If its a balance thing, they can draw from the community for a fix or even hand over a faction to some expert players to sort out.

11. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

With the Moratexit, no hope of seeing what the Taryot could look like, it will know the fate of the taqueul officer. :sweat_smile:

LaughinGod likes this.
  12. DaRedOne

Warcor

Guys, please, please, please:

If you're just gonna make a witty comment about CB's managerial tactics, or any other inconstructive comment about the thread. Don't. Seriously, don't.

WiT? tried to make a constructive post, a very good one by the way, and is trying to have a discussion. Morats being discontinued sucks and I don't like the idea as much as anyone else here. However, until we have an official statement from CB it is pointless to start cracking 'witty' jokes and being negative.

Let's be constructive, please.

QuietusEmissary and burlesford like this.
  13. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

I still think that they will get kinda like a soft revamp and OOP status in an Army Box. Consolidation of the SKUs into a single box, add the new Taryot and hunter to the army pack so that the usual salty people complain, freeze MAF for a couple years while keeping it "in stock".

Although it is true some units are crucial for vanilla CA, like Daturazis, seeing what happened to the Shaolin they might release a blister at a later date.

DaRedOne likes this.
  14. Daireann

Daireann Well-Known Member

The main weakness of morat in the future - no miniatures.

CB! STOP KILLING INTERESTING ALIEN SECTORIALS!

LaughinGod likes this.
  15. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

The way to have the Oznat/Hungries work is Peripheral (Control).

Mogra likes this.
  16. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I am really against removing aliens sectorials from distribution, sci fi/cyberpunk humans exist everywhere, but aliens are more interesting and unique to every game.
    We also have a new layer who wanted to start Morats, guess he will have to rethink that.

Daireann likes this.
  17. DaRedOne

Warcor

I'm gonna say it again before an actual moderator comes in and has to take action:

Guys, we don't know. Relax. Wait. Make your conclusions when we have the full info.

Until then, please, please refrain from posts that do nothing but complain.

18. joedj

joedj Member

Oznat + Gaki/Preta sculpts were the models (also Anathema!) that made me commit to purchasing Infinity/CA in N3.
    The army build limitations in N4 allow for the OP's adjustments to Oznat/Hungries Fire Team without the previous edition's 'abuse'. I appreciate the OP's efforts to re-tool the MAF sectorial to enable more broad/diverse use of these models!

WiT? likes this.
  19. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm going to second DRO here. We've had a jaunt into the negative space that is faction squatting and it's time to come back on track. Heck, maybe its a good opportunity for a 'final revamp' like we saw with the other armies. That could get a few of these changes on the radar, which makes it more important than before that the thread be constructive with talking these and other changes over.

There is another cool thread on this forum discussing "sectorial specific profiles". We've gone fairly light on that so far, with the emphasis being largely on making pretty bad Morat link units into playable links. But my personal preference is for all sectorials to go way deeper on unique profiles and lighter on power boosted links. I'm going to throw out a few ideas as well as mention the sectorial specific profiles that are already in the opening post - would love to hear input on them and to hear the similar ideas of other members!

Already suggested
    Some are not posted as MAF specific but easily could be
    • Cheap Kurgat LSG
    • Kurgat BSG Minelayer (vs only the MK12 minelayer in vanilla)
    • MAF specific "combat peripheral" for Kurgats
    • Oznat + Gaki & Preta Sync (vs only the Gaki synch in vanilla)
    • Regular Gaki in MAF (though this profile is contentious)
    • Preta w/ Mines
    • Rodok & Vanguard 0 SWC LT in MAF
    • Zerat w/ Infil+6
    • Zerat w/ synch Gaki
    • Yaogat Plasma Sniper
    Other ideas;
    • Daturazi with a Comms attack, such as Killer Hacking Device or Jammer
      Plays into their fluff, and with other gear restrictions like no chain or no smoke makes for an interesting warband
    • Hidden deployment Zerat MULTI Sniper
      Gives another ARO approach for the army. It's also honestly not strong.
    • Gaki w/ forward deployment skill and hidden deployment
      Another defensive tech, and unexplored design space. Would also be really fun and aliens-esk
    Finally, someone else who likes the Hungries sculpts. My only issue with them is how fragile they are, but they look fantastic if you build an appropriate base for them. Mine are leaping over some Aliens style eggs - a homage to their old minelayer ability (since I bought those way back when they could poop out mines).

This is my preferred method too. We had a variety of solutions within the group, with some others favoring a link or wildcard approach. My personal favorite is to make them similar to UberfallKommando with a "multiple bodies warband" type of unit.

DaRedOne likes this.
  20. DaRedOne

Warcor

I would be very onboard with this idea as well. Multiple bodies warband is a concept that works excelently as a missile and is the kind of agressiveness MAF could benefit of.

Another thing I would like is seeing MAF profiles get just a teeny tiny bit more elite. We already pay a premium for our models and they're kinda average. I wouldn't mind paying 16 points for a BS12 vanguard.

although I would prefer if they stayed at 14 points, were changed into MI and given 3 armor.

Stiopa and toadchild like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation