1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity at 400 points

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Triumph, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I meant to make this post discussing core game play issues with Infinity at 300 points and the benefits that moving to 400 points has alot sooner but things got busy and I kept pushing it back.

Firstly for context until December 2021 I had the luxury of being in a covid free area meaning when N4 released in September 2020 I had the benefit of being in one of the very few gaming communities that got to play on a regular basis with no interruptions.
    • Between September 2020 when N4 released and about mid June 2021 we played at 300 points. During this period we had 2 local tournaments run in the state, one of which I organised and the other was run by someone else so I got to participate. We played 300 points standard for a bit over 8 months.
    • From approximately mid June 2021 to the present we've been playing at 400 points. We didn't get to play much during December or January because of Covid returning and causing restrictions. We've had a bit over 6 months playtime in total using 400 points and I've run two local events at that points level so far.
    We started playing 400 points not for serious reasons. One player felt things were a bit stale and wanted to try some 400 point games just for the meme value, so we collectively decided to humour him. I did not expect to be here arguing it's a legitimately better way to play Infinity.

Two big issues that Infinity has at 300 points:
    • It is very difficult to adequately meet mission demands while also building a list that can meet a checklist of other things it requires. ARO defenses, Attack pieces, supportive units, relevant order count, counters to enemy issues such as Impersonation/hacking/Guided Missiles/linked MSV AROs. List building is heavily railroaded by this and leaves little room for flexibility. This is further exacerbated the more complex ITS missions get, 300 points puts a heavy limitation on how interesting mission design can get due to metagame influences that need to be addressed in list construction first. Particularly for sectorials with limited mixed fireteam options building lists with adequate mission redundancy can be punishingly difficult in some cases. All in all lists are frequently stretched thin barely or often failing to meet requirements.
    • The meta for Infinity at 300 points is heavily slanted towards gaining momentum by delivering a crushing alpha strike in the first turn then riding that momentum through the following two turns. Sniping important units with guided missiles, assassinating important units with impersonators, hammering an opponent with their own TAG, gutting someone's lines with a drop troop or McMurder, or unleashing an Avatar or fireteam with 14 orders to stick the boot into them. It didn't really matter we found games were largely being decided by what happened on turn 1 and how well people built lists to attack hard and/or avoid being hit hard. There was very little room for a comeback baring catastrophic dice or a terrible unforced error once one player gained a solid momentum advantage on the first turn, and the missions almost always tended to be an afterthought.
    For our most competitively minded player, who plays a very wide selection of factions and sectorials, this condensed into The Mission Does Not Matter. MURDER WINS. His modus operandi regardless of what army he was playing on a given day was to focus on alpha striking the shit out of his opponent to remove either their ability to fight back with adequate attack pieces or sufficient orders (or both).

When we started playing 400 points he went from easily winning almost all of his games to straight up struggling and losing alot of them. We had a conversation about what was going on and the conclusion reached was that his strategy of a total focus on alpha striking was actively hurting him at 400 points.

Part of the reason was opponents just in general had a slightly higher ARO presence. Sometimes an extra TR bot here, another mine there. It did usually take him just a little bit more effort to hit his opponent as hard as he was used to. The main reason though, was increased list rendudancy. I talked about this in the Yu Jing forum but adding 100 points and 2 SWC was doubling my HI counts for Invincible Army. More armour, more wounds to chew through, and most importantly more combat effective models.

He was finding that his attempts to rush down the opponent were no longer leaving them in a crippled state. He'd get a good kill or two as usual, then find his main attack pieces over extended against an opponent who was still combat effective and could kick his teeth in without having to waste orders running across the table or often worrying about burning orders on trash AROs like flash pulses. In the case of first turn pitchers and guided missiles, it simply wasn't order efficient to go after one or two high priority targets anymore and trying to do so was leaving him with an under developed board state his opponent, no longer crippled by an alpha strike, exploited against him in their turn.

In a nutshell his games weren't being reliably decided by turn 1 killing momentum anymore.

My personal experience playing at 300 points has lined up with this also. My lists were built largely without mission parameters in mind and were built to fight and cripple the enemy as quickly as possible or to avoid an alpha strike as much as possible. It came to the point where I took the same two lists I entered in a tournament, both of which I built to fight player archetypes rather than any mission focus, and then played them for 10 weeks straight through a rotation of missions. I didn't need to make changes, simply focusing on killing my opponent was an optimal way to play. Frankly the game was becoming stale for me at this point as I was unfortunately finding list building was largely in a solved state and cookie cutter lists were actually becoming a thing.

Since switching to 400 points I've found Infinity has benefited from:
    • Stronger list redundancy. It's so much harder to cripple a list from an alpha strike and lists tend to have a better variety of tools available to make sure they can solve problems.
    • List variety is so much greater, there is more room for traditionally less cut throat optimised unit profiles to see the field. Units like TR Baggage bots, or the Zencha Hacker are two examples of profiles that have never made my 300 point lists but often show up in my 400 point ones because I start upgrading units with left over points because I'm at the 15 unit cap.
    • Playing the mission actually matters because there's less emphasis on alpha striking.
    • An extra 100 points and 2SWC disproportionately affects armies. We have found that while top end contenders such as Avatar based lists definitely benefit from it, mid tier and weaker armies, particularly the less brutally point and SWC efficient ones tend to get much greater value out of it. I've made a point of how much it helps White Banner in other threads.
    On that last point that's not to say this is a silver bullet, USARF, MRRF, and ISS are all examples of armies with deeply ingrained metagame issues that need to be addressed. In the case of USARF and MRRF it's largely their tiny and dated unit rosters that need expansion and a total overhaul. All three are examples of armies that were heavily designed around when cheap unit spam was king in the metagame and to lean into that, and all need a total rework to get out of that rut.

#1 Triumph, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  2. Lesh'

Lesh' Infinity LATVIA
    Warcor

were you still playing by ITS rules with 15 unit slot limit?

I personally think that's intentional by game designers.

bladerunner_35, saint and chromedog like this.
  3. Triumph

Yes

It might be intentional but I don't think it's healthy for the game. I've certainly found myself in the situation where I had to choose between putting in a mission oriented unit, or putting in a unit that can counter a Grenzer MSR so I don't get shut out of the game by a BS19 sniper. Facilitating murder has won out by a large margin every time. Needing to make choices is a good thing, needing to make choices because otherwise you'll get donkey punched by your opponent isn't.

List building at 300 points is too cut throat right now which leads to the issue of favouring hyper optimised units and creating cookie cutter lists and list variety stagnation.

It also has a limiting factor on how interesting or narrative focused you can make ITS missions. Take Mindwipe for example. We tested that when it first came out and we were playing it at 300 points. We found the mission was too difficult for many factions to reliably have enough combat effective assets in a competitive list that could threaten the objectives on turn 2 and 3. We were discussing the need to bring the servers further up the field to make it easier to complete the mission objectives at one point.

We revisited it at 400 points and came to the conclusion that (in conjunction the Uberhacker errata) the mission was actually fine balance wise. At 400 points there was sufficient list redundancy that losing 1 or 2 models wouldn't suddenly put the game in an unwinnable state.

4. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

Why is this always the first question when ever the topic of 400 comes up? 400 is still a standard points format in ITS that conforms to the other rules of the game.

Remember when you started playing and made the jump from 200 to 300 and things opened up a lot and the game got a hell of a lot better and played much more smoothly? Well going from 300 to 400 is a lot like that.

Frankly why wouldn't we still play with the 15 cap? The only factions that are adversely affected are already struggling at 300 and need serious overhauls to be functional anyway. Runing uncapped at 300 results in absurdly high model count lists, this becomes far worse at 400 making the 15 cap absolutely necessary.
    Additionally, while a small subset of factions already in a quite bad state are functionally unchanged as far as relevance goes and others that were in a not great position got substantially better almost entirely off of the extra SWC.

#4 Tourniquet, Mar 10, 2022
  5. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

Poor USARF, could be a great excuse for them to get a trip hammer or other TAG available.

6. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Althought I've always thought that the limitations a 300 point match imposes are interesting from a list building perpective, it is true that in N4 alpha striking feels more powerful.
    I've never played at 400 points, but I'll try to get a few games.

7. Triumph

USARF has a tiny roster and is in dire need of a wider selection of units, but the quickest, dirtiest fix you could make to get them combat effective is make Minutemen a Vet Kazak equivalent and allow Marauders to link with them.

USARF as they stand are a prime example of an army that gets utterly crippled by an alpha strike, Guided missile or otherwise. Their main brute force projection revolves around a 1W minuteman with an AP HMG and the Unknown Ranger. Those units get picked off before they get to do anything or (or die to a stray crit) their list falls down like a house of cards.

8. Ashtaroth

Ashtaroth Aragoto GP Organizer
    Warcor

It would help a lot (at least to me) to visualize some of the lists you speak of. In particular, I would be very interested in seeing a 300pt list and a 400pt list from the player that had the drastic change in the results, as you mentioned. And maybe some of yours, or of some tournament.

Because, you keep telling us that 400 is better, but show us nothing. You talk about list diversity, but honestly, from what you said, it's just empowered established archetypes, be it because of redundancy, be it because now you can have A+B in the same list. And like you point out, it still doesn't address some armies, whose strategies became inadequate or hard to pull off in N4. One can thusly argue that, at least the 300pt format still lets you play ISS, USARF and whatnot, even if they don't perform like other factions as easily. What about 400? Is it just the same "top tier" factions with more sprinkles added in, or are there really new archetypes formed? If yes, please some examples!

One very interesting point you touch, is that defense is particularly hard (I agree!). You say that 400 mitigates this, by giving redundancy, but a lot can be argued there: mispositioning, misunderstanding of faction strenghts and shortcomings, how to layer defenses, upgraded quality and number of the Alpha Strikers etc.. Defending in Infinity is hard. One could say that 400 point really just makes your mistakes less punishable, because it's not as critical to lose that one HMG, or that one Hacker. But that is also an exciting moment in a 300 game. A very tense and deciding moment (do 400 point games also have the same amount of emotional engagement and tense moments?).

Anyway, 400 point makes defending less difficult but ultimately still doesn't address the advantages of the active turn. As in: you may have more bodes and Ws, but the active B4-5 weapon will still plaster them. The game still has the same lethality and efficiency even if you have some extra wounds on the field.
    Again, I think, that some practical examples could easily prove a lot of what I said wrong. Nevertheless, I am curious.

Lastly, I am really happy that your playgroup found a way to have fun with the game, which, really, is all we are here for.
    Cheers

Abrilete, WiT? and Brokenwolf like this.
  9. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

try a thousand point game. We usually do one once a year and they are AMAZINGLY fun. But yes, i agree. Infinity is better at 400 points.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  10. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Tried this! ‘Twas carnage… but immensely fun. Also try doing a fatal four way with alternating actions at 500 points each. Even more insanity. I haven’t played any 400 points yet in N4, mainly 150 and 300 but I can see how some missions are problematic for list building. Will have to give 400 a go.

Cthulhu363 likes this.
  11. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

+1 for 400 points.

I found games went from "do you have the tools to deal with X? If not, lose" to "everyone has the tools to deal with everything - have you eliminated those tools yet". I really enjoyed that difference in approach because gear checks are not fun.

But that was either late N2 or early N3 and I haven't tried it in 4th with a unit cap.

Tourniquet and Triumph like this.
  12. Triumph

If you follow the links I put in the first post they'll take you to some more in depth discussions about some of my specific 400pt lists, including one that was a reworked version of a failed 300pt list.

He doesn't use the forums unfortunately. He has played WhiteCo at two events and won both of them at 300 and 400 points. I don't have the 300pt lists because he didn't upload them, but I do have the two 400 point ones here and here. I have played into his WhiteCo alot and from memory I can pretty much recount his standard list at 300 basically downgrades alot of those secondary threats like the Haris team, the Hawkwoods, Nokken etc into cheaper hyper cost efficient filler alternatives like a Peacemaker and Fugazi, and the Jujaks turn into Fusiliers. His lists at 300 is pretty much a Danavas, Clipper, Fusi/Orc/Valerya core plus Guilang, Peacemaker and then what little room is left is filler and maybe a Karhu.

He actually complained alot about WhiteCo being a solved army when we were playing at 300 points. There was so little room for truly effective variation over what he was already playing.

You can still play ISS, USARF, etc in 400 points. They're just as shit though it doesn't really do anything to fix their problems.

It vastly improves other armies particularly those that struggle with SWC and have less efficient link options. I believe that the format has a marked improvement on armies such as CHA, which at 300 has a definite problem with getting overrun by all out aggression. At 400 points it is much harder to simply run at them because they now have the SWC and points to actually leverage a greater AVA of Scotsguard which means you can't ignore camo markers anymore to rush down their fragile link teams or you might cop a missile launcher to the side of the face.

Obviously our local scene doesn't have enough data for me to make definitive claims for every faction in the game but I can say from personal experience as I said in the post about White Banner I linked it immensely improves their strength. At 300 points White Banner is not worth playing, at 400 points they're actually a good sectorial that I place on par with Invincibles and Vanilla.

In terms of a "new" archetype? I wrote about my experiments with a recursion archetype and trying to make that work. I first tried this at 300 points and while I could create a list representing the archetype I couldn't get it to function in reality. The main issue was it was hamstrung by the usual issue that 300 points brings, there was only enough room for 1 attack piece the Shang Ji and the whole list folded like a house of cards if it died or got shut out from doing work, there wasn't enough diversity in active turn pieces to make the list function reliably.

At best this wound up being a meme at 300. Amusing when it worked, but far from reliable.

At 400 points though recursion very much works. Although in practice 3 Husong tended to be overkill, 1-2 Husong plus two TR Baggage bots was more than sufficient and the extra points funneled into active turn killers kept enough heat off Kokram to let him focus on just continiously fixing REMs and dropping area denial.

Let's be real here. Getting crippled by a hard alpha strike is only fun for one person at most, and from my experience, I don't find it particularly fun either way. Those alpha strike based 300pt Invincible Army lists I played at a local event? Well I won the event in a pretty boring way. All three of my games were decided on turn 1.

Game 1 I played into MAF. I went first and turn 1 I killed his Raicho with guided missiles.

Game 2 I played against WinterFo. Went first, brute forced through my opponent with a core link fighting its way into his DZ through all of his AROs and gutted his army. The Shang Ji handled the things that could see Lei Gong, who then ran through all of the Karhu with his Albedo.

Game 3 I played against TJC. Went second, opponent's alpha strike killed my Son Bae but failed to down my Shang Ji. I brute forced my way into his DZ and gutted his army including his LT.

The common factor there in all those games is turn 1 was a battle for momentum. I secured momentum in all three games and there was no strategic decisions my opponents could make to come back from there. The closest I got to losing was to some god awful dice in game three allowing a Spektr to outlive almost an entire turn's worth of shooting at it.

Yes, games are way more interesting at 400 points from my experience. With alpha striking being less efficient at 400 points it promotes more focus on playing the mission, which in turn leads to more swings in game state with players skirmishing over objectives and attempting to score instead of just securing momentum turn 1 and maintaining an iron grip on the game from there.

Back and forth makes a game stay interesting whereas one player curb stomping from turn one isn't really much fun for either player.

For the same reason @WiT? says the game is more fun when both players have the tools to play the game and don't instantly lose to a failed gear check.

Yes, outside of the SSS tier ARO links, active turn absolutely maintains an advantage nothing changes there. The difference is players are greater incentivised to spend orders to play mission objectives rather than just trying to curbstomp their opponent turn 1 because as discussed this tends to lead to an over extension that neither scores nor actually successfully cripples an opponent. Obviously, this is only applicable if the mission allows for it but I've also been fairly vocal about fixing missions so they don't just play as annihilation by a different name. You may have noticed Frontline had some changes this season.

#12 Triumph, Mar 10, 2022
  13. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

I think this is an interesting topic and look forward to seeing the discussion that comes from it. Where I live we did not see the sun for two years, so I have not played a huge amount of N4. I was also never a tournament player. I do not have the perspective to contribute, but I find this interesting and want to throw out some questions to those who play in this 400 point meta.

What do you think is the root problem in N4 that is fixed by switching to 400 points? I recognise it is that you are able to fit-in redundancy and weather alpha strikes, but what is the root cause of this issue? Are there fundamentals in the game rules that are breaking the game and need to be fixed? Is the issue that certain profiles are perfectly optimised for ITS and most others have too much bloat, therefore those profiles need to be fixed to make more sectorials viable at 300 points? Is the issue the way ITS missions are structured and they are no longer allowing for the limitations imposed by 300 points, therefore 400 points is better suited to ITS (or, perhaps, ITS needs to be tweaked to work with 300 points)? Perhaps there is no problem and it is merely that 400 points is a point where the game is just more fun and the only 'problem' is that 300 points is considered the standard? I could imagine the truth is a blend of several things.

toadchild and Abrilete like this.
  14. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

This is a really cool idea. Feasible? I don't know. But its certainly interesting. Did you have success with this at all?
    I disagree with this. Its surprising how often that the amount of damage, even for a reasonably decent gun (such as linked BS13 mimetism HMG) comes out to 1 wound. I went through a spree of games against JSA heavy infantry a few months back, and the amount of times that their guys took 1 wound and hid, rather than 1 wound and KO, from some kind of HMG sweeper was really eye opening.

15. Triumph

At 300 it's a meme, at 400 it works great.

I've actually found that frequently I want fewer Husong and more Pango TR. I try to cover fewer DZ to DZ lines and more lines reaching out to about the center of the table. This makes it harder for the opponent to pick at the TR bots to open up movement for skirmishers with minimal order investment, they often need to commit 2-3 orders to bring a desired gun to bear on the target then further orders to shoot at it to bring it down versus my considerably fewer orders to repair them.

The concept is make the opponent need to spend more orders bringing them down than I do picking them up, plus it's more likely to cause an attack piece to leave their DZ and wind up in a more vulnerable location that I can exploit. Local Haqq player does a similar thing with Al Fasid, puts them in "shortstop" locations where head on they have limited directly forward range but they have long oblique angles, tries to force an over extension to come and deal with them.

Why is it an issue in N4 when it wasn't as bad in N3? Power creep, as many people have noticed playing around an alpha strike is stronger in N4 than it was in N3. Avatar with more orders than before, Guided missiles are more prevalent and hacking defenses were weakened considerably (I can't defend myself with a KHD that puts a -9 on my opponent anymore and Trinity sucks compared to Redrum as an ARO deterrent), link teams got bigger and badder and it's easier to funnel more orders through them in many cases.

Moving to 400 points as I said puts more combat effective resources on the table without in most cases driving up the order count to insane levels. I mentioned WhiteCo have in my meta been heavily abused in this fashion to focus purely on alpha striking the opponent. 100 extra points doesn't help them gain more orders, the damage they can inflict is still more or less capped at what it was before while their opponent has more resources to now weather that attack.

#15 Triumph, Mar 11, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Elric of Grans and RolandTHTG like this.
  16. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

Very interested in this proposal. As things stand, I build overwhelmingly for firepower to cripple my opponent and deny them a chance to play, as that is easily the most reliable strategy across the board.

I'll add that this ends up being very rough on less experienced players, and I imagine it carries over to most communities. How can you tackle the game's learning curve when the most consistent and best strategy is to ensure your opponent can't even play?

#16 Weathercock, Mar 11, 2022
    Triumph and Abrilete like this.
  17. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

dont curbstomp the newbies, and if/when you do walk them through the things they did or didnt do well.

However at 300 you take the one or key pieces they were relying and they are combat ineffective, at 400 they will have a few more options up their sleeves meaning that absolute aggression while still significant doesnt cripple them so badly they are locked out of the game.

other than that, pick one of the VERY FEW (I hate the current ITS mission design) missions where outright murder arent the optimal play.

18. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Well I'm sold, one of my biggest gripes with the games so far in N4 have been the amount that one player never got into the game and just either had a crap T1 run of dice and got spannered, or got alpha'd on T1 and got spannered.
    Will give this a go for a few months and see how we get on.

Mahtamori likes this.
  19. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I theorize that as Infinity increasingly is about the one or two over-efficient hero units (be they characters or just a specific profile that is very good in moderation), just having access to more decent units that aren't as efficient but can still challenge those hero units smooths out individual faction power curve.
    It's an aside, but I will never understand people who think the active turn advantage in Infinity is too high or think it needs to be addressed. In the active turn you're actively spending your resources in the only way you have to gain advantage and unless the dice hate one side those advantages are never quite enough. It weirds me out whenever I read that these advantages needs to be addressed.

#19 Mahtamori, Mar 11, 2022
    Triumph, Tourniquet and SpectralOwl like this.
  20. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

While I'm comfortable enough with 300 points battles, I don't suffer too often the "to be killed in the first turn", thanks "gods", I'm one of those players which will more than happy to play 400 points tournament in time to time. Here our "locals OT" aren't too open to this format, but I think mainly because most players around are too rusty thanks lack of games by the multiples stops for COV, as many of us have suffer (and I said this without any bitterness, because not would have allow to play Infinity it was nothing compared to what others had to suffer. I know I was lucky to can say that my main problems with Covid were "no to play Infinity").

The things with @Triumph began the post were something I have experienced indeed playing 200 points, but not 300. What I find more appealed to play 400 points is the way some profiles can be placed in table when you hardly could put that troupe in a 300 match (same happens when playing 200 points). In my experience, for example, playing hassasin, I find better list to 300 than to 400, because if I have to play 400 points, with the 15 troupes limit of N4, I find myself without pretty much any ARO options... You probably will say "what are you saying dude", but I will try to explain. The thing is when I play 300 matches I can deploy my 4 or 5 reliable ARO daylamis or the Ghazi and cause a lot of problems to my enemy. Even I can do use of one HRL Muyib in a full 5 members fireteam to complete my "Active ARO", but if I go to 400 points list if I want to do the same ARO team, I can't, because I have no way to fill the gap, only using TAG which could be not the best choice for the missions or the rivals I will face, so, I could place several muyibs with HRL in haris or 5 member fireteam as AROpieces, but what I will gain doing this will be almost nothing compared to the "basic" ARO I can have playing 300 points.

Something similar happens to me if I want to play with Merovinge, while I can place a lot of "spam" playing 300 or less points, I can't do it to 400, so in reality I'm loosing more than I'm gaining for playing 400 points, but in the other hand, things like Winterforce can be really hard to 400 points, because you almost don't have to choose, you can place pretty much any combination you wanted, the mk12 boyg become something worthy because you can put a lot of SWC in nisses, nokkens, orcs, KoJ and still you will have points to spare in this guy, having another heavy piece to fight with.

While some armies spam focused can be reorganized to play effectively in this "15 troup" meta, they drastically get down when high the quantity of points the tournament is. It happens some similar when you play to a 200 points, things like Caledonia become something any player should be afraid of, because it has too easy to play a full 15 members list with at least 15 orders, probably more thanks to the "impetuous ones".

So, I think we should play more games to others points limit than the "plain 300", because allow differences, but I disagree that 400 points will be better than 300 in general, because I'm pretty sure some armies can't fight well enough to this limit thanks to the 15 troups limits. A few armies almost don't fell the change to play from 300 to 400, but others will improve drastically, while others only become worse.

But, I'm aware of this is my opinion only, based in my experience, so I'm more than happy to see how others players do and understand the game. Even, I will try to play more 400 games to have some more to say about :)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation