1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I played White Banner and I liked it

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Triumph, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

For the people coming into this thread wondering if I hit my head recently:

At 400 points

Purely to humour a local player's request our local group agreed to play a 400 point game at one weekly meeting (keeping the 15 slot limit). To my surprise, I actually liked the 400 point format alot and as it turned out so did everyone else. That was well over a month ago and my local group hasn't switched back to 300 points since upping the points limit. At this point everyone prefers the new format and it's highly unlikely we ever switch back.

I intend to make a general post about it at a later date but I felt like making a thread specific to the discussion of White Banner and its standing with the other options in faction.

Don't get me wrong the format isn't a silver bullet. It doesn't fix garbage profiles like the Tian Gou and Qing Gao. However that aside one of the big issues I've had with buildings lists in N4, and this isn't just for White Banner, is that there are a far greater amount of gear checks you need to hit. The lists have often felt extremely cookie cutter because almost the entire list is busy meeting various gear checks before I can really add any flavour to it. Jumping to 400 points offers enough breathing room in SWC and cost to actually leverage the increased AVA options available to the sectorial.

For White Banner the extra 2 SWC is huge, at 6 SWC it struggles hard to differentiate itself from Vanilla because the sectorial is super fucking SWC hungry. The star players of White Banner the camo team of Long Ya, Hundun, Guilang, and Daofei are particularly guilty of this. 8 SWC gives you enough room to get a healthy amount of these units and also get a good value Fireteam Core or Haris. At 300 points you can't really get the fireteam in as well, which means why the fuck would you play White Banner over Vanilla who can also leverage NCO and better LT options and a wider roster of camo units.

That bit of extra room though? Really make the sectorial feel like it goes from grinding like clunky jank to spinning smoothly with a purpose.

#1 Triumph, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  2. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

It makes sense to me. I've had a hard time making lists for WB due to some of the limitations. While I think all can do well at 400pts. White Banner sadly needs it.

Stormygeddon likes this.
  3. Triumph

No joke I think Infinity on the whole operates better at 400 points even if there are a few sectorials that are still ass (such as ISS and USARF), but I'll save that for another thread.

4. Space Ranger

The one thing is that if there's still the 15 cap, you will hardly ever see some of the cheap line troops like Zhanshi. But man it's nice to be able to take a lot of the troops I really want to.

──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10 [​IMG]2
    SHÀNG JÍ (Tactical Awareness) AP Heavy Machine Gun, Chain-colt ( | TinBot: Firewall [-6]) / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 49)
    SHÀNG JÍ (Tactical Awareness) Heavy Rocket Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 38)
    SHÀNG JÍ (Hacker, Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt ( ) / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0.5 | 41)
    SHÀNG JÍ (Lieutenant) MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 36)
    LÉI GŌNG Shock Marksman Rifle, Nanopulser, Blitzen / Breaker Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 34)
    YĚ MĀO (Hacker, Killer Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 29)
    GŬILÁNG (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Flash Pulse, Shock Mines / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 26)
    GŬILÁNG (Hacker, Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Shock Mines ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 30)
    DÀOFĚI Spitfire, D-Charges / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 55)
    TIGER SOLDIER (Paramedic) Combi Rifle, Light Flamethrower ( | MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 31)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]2
    SHAOLIN Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 6)
    LÓNG YÁ (Minelayer) Panzerfaust(+1B), Flammenspeer(+1B), Submachine Gun, AP Mines / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0.5 | 17)

6 SWC | 398 Points

Open in Infinity Army

5. Triumph

My finding has actually been the opposite, line troops are still showing up and the SWC troops are also actually seeing play again. With 100 extra points and 2 SWC it's easier to find your list with no room left for more bodies, yet still a few points and SWC left over. At this point upgrading a basic trooper to a random grenade launcher, HMG, or MSR into a line infantry team is a viable option instead of just having another combi Zhanshi following Shang Ji around.

This is less so for White Banner, who are super SWC hungry, but has been common for my IA lists at 400 points. However the Zhanshi are still turning up in White Banner because having a basic hacker in a tinbot link from the Shang Ji plus a fuckload of Guilang Minelayers projecting a repeater net and mines is actually really solid. I played into Shas tonight and between the Guilangs and Long Ya I had five minelayers and my opponent's Caliban were super sad about the amount of crap they were looking at wading through the board to actually get at anything.

You can definitely play the Shang Ji core you've listed, but I find there's way more list variance at 400 points. Zhanshi core plus wildcards is still totally a top end option for both IA and WB.

#5 Triumph, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Space Ranger likes this.
  6. Space Ranger

What can I say? I have dreams!

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10 [​IMG]4
    GŪIJIĂ MULTI Heavy Machine Gun, Heavy Flamethrower / DA CC Weapon. (1.5 | 82)
    [​IMG] GŪIJIĂ PILOT Submachine Gun / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 0)
    KOKRAM FTO MULTI Rifle(+1 Dam), Chain-colt, D-Charges / Heavy Pistol(+1B), CC Weapon. (0 | 36)
    ZÚYǑNG (Lieutenant) Combi Rifle / CC Weapon, Breaker Pistol(+1B). (0 | 26)
    ZÚYǑNG (Paramedic) Combi Rifle ( | MediKit) / CC Weapon, Breaker Pistol(+1B). (0 | 28)
    ZÚYǑNG (Tactical Awareness) Heavy Machine Gun / CC Weapon, Breaker Pistol(+1B). (1.5 | 37)
    TAI SHENG Breaker Combi Rifle, Chain-colt, Flash Pulse ( | TinBot: Firewall [-6]) / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 39)
    SON-BAE Yaókòng Missile Launcher / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (1.5 | 16)
    SHÀNG JÍ (Tactical Awareness) AP Heavy Machine Gun, Chain-colt ( | TinBot: Firewall [-6]) / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 49)
    SHÀNG JÍ (Tactical Awareness) Heavy Rocket Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 38)
    SHÀNG JÍ (Hacker, Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt ( ) / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0.5 | 41)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1
    PANGGULING (Deactivator, Repeater) ( ) / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 8)

8 SWC | 400 Points

Open in Infinity Army

7. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

So I don't play competitively (meaning no tournaments...I get burned out if I play two games back to back), so this sounds very interesting to me. I wonder if I can get my small group to adopt the 400 point threshold. Problem is, they like to prepare for tournaments and, locally at least, that means 300 point games.

8. Space Ranger

Maybe not a tournament then. Just do as a thing for when you regular play. I don't think we could it it because we have a lot of new people. We are talking about doing a few 150-200pt tournaments.

9. Triumph

Heh, well as it turns out the trick for our group was the person in question convinced the guy running the tournaments to get on board and try it out.

Anyway this is the list I was running this week.

Looting and Sabotaging

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10 [​IMG]1
    DÀOFĚI (Lieutenant) Spitfire, D-Charges / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 55)
    DÀOFĚI (Hacker, Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle, D-Charges ( ) / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0.5 | 56)
    YĚ MĀO (Engineer, Deactivator) MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt, Panzerfaust, D-Charges ( | GizmoKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 31)
    YĚ MĀO (Hacker, Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle, Chain-colt ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 31)
    GŬILÁNG (Minelayer) Boarding Shotgun, Shock Mines ( | Deployable Repeater) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 27)
    GŬILÁNG (Minelayer) Boarding Shotgun, Shock Mines ( | Deployable Repeater) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 27)
    CHAĪYÌ Yaókòng Flash Pulse / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 7)
    WÈIBĪNG Yaókòng Combi Rifle, Flash Pulse / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 15)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]2
    LÓNG YÁ (Minelayer) Panzerfaust(+1B), Flammenspeer(+1B), Submachine Gun, AP Mines / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0.5 | 17)
    HÙNDÙN (X Visor) Heavy Rocket Launcher ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 27)

8 SWC | 398 Points

Open in Infinity Army

This is a modified version of a 300 point list I tried to work out a long time ago but could never get it functional to the point where I liked it.

The original was never made specifically for Looting and Sabotaging, so don't factor that in too much I just happened to realise I could adapt it to work well. The original idea was to project a strong minefield as a defensive tool that could also threaten to deploy a hacking network defensively as well.

Original

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10 [​IMG]1
    ZHANSHI (Paramedic) Combi Rifle ( | MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 13)
    ZHANSHI Combi Rifle / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 11)
    ZHANSHI (Lieutenant) Combi Rifle / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 11)
    CHAĪYÌ Yaókòng Flash Pulse / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 7)
    MECH-ENGINEER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 15)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]2
    HÙNDÙN (X Visor) Heavy Rocket Launcher ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 27)
    SHAOLIN Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 5)
    SHAOLIN Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 5)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

So the issue I ran into workshopping this list is it's fantastic during deployment but becomes very very clunky after that. Deployment is awesome, you get your mine/deprep camo spam network down and it looks fantastic. The main issue that drags everything down is the fireteam, specifically the hyper vulnerable Zhanshi LT in that link is a massive anchor hanging around its neck.

The Guilangs are great openers and fantastic skirmishers but they don't hit quite hard enough to crack well defended targets like an entrenched enemy link. They need someone to either come in as a second wave or to brute force ahead of them. It's really hard to make this happen with the Zhanshi link containing the LT, and even if you're successful you're opening yourself to your opponent counter attacking you into LoL the following turn.

The list is also contains a fairly exploitable linchpin with the Shang Ji HMG. An impersonator managing to suicide trade for it or your opponent managing to brick it then deleting the Engineer with a missile can put the list so far on the back foot it struggles to get back into the game. Again, Guilang are fantastic but they're not well rounded enough to carry the game on their own.

Expanding to 400 points solved these issues for me and more. Whacking a pair of Daofei into the list made the LT far more durable, freed the Shang Ji's link up to attack aggressively, doubled the hackers up to improve the value of a defensive hacking network. Additionally it vastly improved insulation against the list getting alpha struck with two Daofei able to back up the Guilang in the event of the Shang Ji's link getting crippled by my opponent's opening turn.

In general 400 points generally improves firepower redundancy and makes it more difficult for overbearing alpha strikes to entirely deciding games on turn one. I think this is a healthy thing for the game in general.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation