1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting Frontline

Discussion in 'ITS' started by Triumph, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I don't like Frontline. It's a very dull mission that inevitably turns into a glorified Annihilation due to scoring at the end of the game and being focused purely on depleting your opponent's army. In general I'm not particularly a fan of missions that wind up playing like this. If I found something as basic, simplistic, and boring as this stimulating even in the slightest I'd be playing 40k.

Or the Ultimate Sci-Fi Skirmish Game™

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As a comparison I find Supremacy to be a great mission. Progressive zone scoring places a greater impetus on maneuvering to score not just punching your opponent in the dick until they can't stand up. Additionally the consoles give a greater variety in avenues to score (and prevent your opponent from scoring). To put it simply there is alot more going on in Supremacy and that makes the mission interesting.

N4 Firefight is another mission I find great. There is alot going on in Firefight and that makes it a continuously engaging mission, which in turn makes it a fun mission to play. Part of what makes it dynamic is that the numerous 1point scoring options between 3 Classifieds and Panoplies can actually make up a decent chunk of the mission's scoring value, so there is alot of running around trying to do things that don't necessarily involve punching your opponent in the dick repeatedly.

With that in mind when I went to adjust the mission for the local community to test I borrowed that aspect of Firefight to fix Frontline and ended up with this

Custom Mission Lineback (modified Frontline) MAIN OBJECTIVES

» At the end of the game, dominate the nearest Sector to your Deployment Zone (1 Objective Point).

» At the end of the game, dominate the central Sector (2 Objective Points).

» At the end of the game, dominate the farthest Sector from your Deployment Zone (3 Objective Points).

» At the end of the game, acquire more weapons or items from the Panoplies than the adversary (1 Objective Point).

CLASSIFIED » Each player has 3 Classified Objectives (1 Objective Point each).

Intelcom was kept and the player has the option of choosing one of their 3 cards. I found this helped smooth out the random factor that can hurt Firefight sometimes when one player gets some really shit draws that are hard to do. Between the option to Secure HVT and Intelcom a card they can get value out of 2 shit draws if necessary. Additionally with both players drawing a total of 6 cards to choose from it's far more likely both players wind up with at least one higher points value Intelcom rather than one player getting a high number and the other getting a low number.

Local community has tested this several times now and overall the feedback was positive. On a personal level I enjoy it far more than the standard Frontline and I feel comfortable enough to take advantage of the custom mission rules for ITS (which are a great addition to Season 12 @HellLois ) to add it to my local rotation of missions.

#1 Triumph, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Danger Rose, FlipOwl and HellLois like this.
  2. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Sounds good! I take note. Thank you.

Danger Rose likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation