1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Karakuri render

Discussion in 'Japanese Secessionist Army' started by Knauf, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

New karakuri is just stupid looking, it's not just the design but the idea that the robot is trying to be cute and posing that way.

It's a robot. It doesn't need to and shouldn't use human movements. Ergonomics is not a thing for it.

wuji likes this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Agreed, absolutely.

Whole different conversation. There is an ergonomy necessary to any movement, so whether it needs a proper human one is up to whether it needs that for some reason (gestalting into one, blending in to society, having social work loads like interrogations, etc)

Still... they look so weird next to the other JSA forces. Both kinda Japanese (tropey) styles, but two diametrically opposite ones.

3. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if ergonomics is the right word but you're definitely right that it doesn't make sense. At least the geishabot design, if it had clothes, could have passed as anthropomorphic. (Jokingly) this is like that skit from Robot Chicken with the Robot and the Dryer... * klang klang klang klang*

4. jake richmond

jake richmond Well-Known Member

I am so glad you're not in charge of anything.

5. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

It is a robot build by humans to serve the purpose humans build and programmed it for, if they programmed it to be cute and humanlike it will be cute and humanlike, if they did not want to they would make a remote like all the other remotes cheap and efficient not looking like a human frame and not having hidden weapon systems.

Abydog, Cthulhu363 and stevenart74 like this.
  6. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Japan is probably one of the most notable nations in robotics development today, and the differences in Japanese perceptions of robots compared to the west is a pretty heavily observed phenomenon. We almost always consider mimicking human performance to be the greatest test of any robot (see the Turing Test) so it sounds perfectly reasonable to me that we would eventually want them to be bipedal (see Boston Dynamics) or otherwise emulate human behavior.

TAGs will never exist in real life because of the square-cube law, for example. I'm not sure why putting faces on robots seems so beyond the pale.

This just strikes me as a very weird place to draw the line.

7. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to the way she is running.

Compare these two models running similarly. You should choose to ignore the outfit and just look at the articulation in the body. Buuuut, even if you dont ignore the the human female's "sexy" outfit, the robot still has a sexier pose...
    t1.png Screenshot_20210328-073326_DuckDuckGo.jpg

8. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

9. Briaros6

Briaros6 Active Member

I’ll be buying a box for my JSA army. It’s a good sculpt and so far the first render has a nice dynamic pose that looks like it’ll be fun to paint. And ASCII faces for the win! If you’re complaining that a “robot” doesn’t move like that then you may want to upgrade your dial up connection, throw out the Betamax, and get with modern technology because robotic technology has far surpassed the mentality of just linear motion. If you’re complaining that it doesn’t look like a geisha that’s on you because that’s not what they’re supposed to be to begin with, they’re killer bodyguard puppets. Mind you this is also from the opinion of someone who grew up watching Battle of the Planets, Buck Rogers, Akira, Robotech, and the like.

10. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

I totally imagine a new karakuri dressed in a big overcoat with a hood showing up to assassinate some enemy of the government... Where have I seen that before...

[​IMG]

As others have said, if it serves the purpose of the designer to make them anthropomorphic, then that's what it's there for. Being humanoid super monsters who act cutesy after you blast them with a missile launcher might do more psychologically to the enemy than a regular remote. Or maybe they went humanoid with human ergonomics because then they could manipulate weapons and machines meant for human use. A karakuri could hop in a car or on a motorcycle, operate a keyboard, pick up a combi rifle, etc., while a Rui Shi could not. In a world designed for human interaction, having a human-shaped robot has a ton of advantages.

11. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

It winked at me!!!

But, real question, what is scarier to people here: A segmented emotionless polymer/alloy face or a Daft Punk Helmet complete with various emojis and pig tails?

stevenart74 likes this.
  12. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

100% emojis and pig tails. Especially if i just blasted it and it keeps coming. *shudder*

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  13. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

Even worse than Pigtail Emoji-Face. . .

"Hello Kitty" headed Karakuri that keeps coming, saying in a shrilly voice "Iiiiiits Tiiime to Plaaaaaayyyyyy!!!". . .

Nomads obviously will steal the tech and change "Kawaii Anime" faces with those of the "Little Pony" Crew. . . .

Will be Applejack Not-Karakuri, Rainbow Dash Not-Karakuri, Pinky Pie Not-Karakuri (this one with Explosive Suicidal D-Charges). . .

Cthulhu363 and wuji like this.
  14. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I greatly suspect you guys are being facetious, and "it was niiiice". But I think our childhoods were vastly different, I was never afraid of chucky, i was totally afraid of the shit like the candy man. That being said, neither robot concept was particularly scary to me, I should have used the word creep factor. But in that case, I see how both are creepy in their right. I swear, the other two sculpts better have some iron man style arm and hand weaponry and leave the head and chest gun concept at home. Flash pulse can easily be conceived as projected from the face as is.

stevenart74 likes this.
  15. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

The stl files are ready, with alternative parts for the head and gun arm. The right hand was sculpted to accommodate pistols, tantos or even rifles to be added via spare bits or own weapon prints.

Right now we have:

- Neutral left arm
    - Left arm with integrated Red Fury
    - Left arm with integrated Red Fury (v2 with more visible parts)
    - Left arm with integrated Panzerfaust (v2 with more visible parts)
    - Head with neutral expression
    - Head with mouth rocket (can be trimmed down to simulate a lens for the FO device)
    - Combat heels can be cut off without compromising stability and pose
    - textured base included courtesy of the artist

Further poses are possible in the future, but this is quite costly. This one is on the house, so feel free to use it at your leisure. If you want to expand this package with your own parts or contract an artist to do so, this could turn into a nice open source project.

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE FIXED VERSION BELOW

#195 Knauf, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Willen, wuji and stevenart74 like this.
  16. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

@Knauf . . .

The "Geishabot Idea" File is quite cool; thanks for the sharing, could be retooled to a lot of useful side projects, such as a A.L.E.P.H. H.V.T. or "Bodyguard Candy-Arm" for one. . .

Also Tohaa and some Combined Races have weirdly flowing robe-dresses and "Long Togas" (that could somehow seems Kimonos and Yukatas) in their "Civilian Concepts"; maybe JUST an alternative Headsculpt could be an appropriate alternative. . .

Knauf likes this.
  17. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Yeah, the head is really the only on-the-nose Japanese thing about it. The Kimono is easily masked as a generic robe.

stevenart74 likes this.
  18. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I have no attachment to either. I would prefer a segmented emotionless polyalloy face to one based even loosely of a pair of helmeted faceless disc-spinners.

19. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

stevenart74 and Willen like this.
  20. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mahtamori, stevenart74 and RolandTHTG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation