1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Karakuri render

Discussion in 'Japanese Secessionist Army' started by Knauf, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

What is it you dont like about them, cause all I've seen from everyone else is that they are perfect...

2. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

The ponytails look like they will be fairly easy to cut off if not wanted. Maybe once seen without paint too, will make a difference.

Golem2God likes this.
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

possibly...

[​IMG]

Personally I see those Kawaiikuri more like the Hollow Men's cheerkillers than the murderbots disguised as geishas they used to be :/

4. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

Kawaikuri is what i am calling them from now on.

5. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I'm just not a fan of the whole chibi or whatever you call that specific style. It works and I can see why people like it, but I was hoping for something else. Nothing to worry about, though.

6. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Thanks for the upfront answer

7. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Kawaii. Ultra sickeningly cute.

Chibi is when it is shrunk down but head and a few other proportions remain uncharged.

8. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Has anyone considered that they might be able to be small compared to human frames encased in armour partly because they dont need their frames encased, since their frame is the armour. And that's also why they have TI, theres no squishy bit to penetrate into.

9. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

They are robot geisha.
    Which are usually not the most physically imposing of figures at the best of times. They aren't meant to resemble armoured hulks.

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  10. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Wouldn't immunity: (critical) do a better job of representing that than TI?

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm honestly so fine with the miniatures. JSA is a parodical interpretation of several layers of the most authoritorian periods of Japanese culture possible. Mixing up Karakuri dolls with Kawaii meta culture with Samurai by drawing too much inspiration from old manga and mistaking them for historical depictions makes a lot of dark sense. They're digging for a national identity in 200+ years old source material, so what does being off by 50 years really mean to them.

It's just that the in-game stats are hilariously sturdy to the point where they easily rival the two most expensive and advanced robots humanity has produced so far (Ajax and Achilles if I'm not too far off). They're also produced and maintained exclusively by a faction that's designated as a minor faction because they lack the resources to be a major player. We're also 15 years onwards in the game and reverse engineering (by Yu Jing primarily) or espionage (Hexahedron's signature move) should have happened in this period.
    On top of this is that the Karakuri are meant to have a bunch of miniaturization going on to hide weapons inside the body, not just miniaturization of vital systems, and it's not like they have multiply redundant leg or arm joints.

The combination of tiny fragile looking miniatures and a statline that is often TAG-level durable makes it seem the real reason they exist is Maryne Sue.

Someone who haven't seen Infinity before can look on a game and intuitively identify that an Az'rail is hard to take down, that a Taigha relies on not getting hit, that a Jotum has a LOT of armour, that Ajax is both sturdy and a nightmare in melee, that a Fusilier or a Shaolin have no armour worth mentioning, and that Dakini and Karakuri are roughly equals...

Zewrath, xagroth, RolandTHTG and 8 others like this.
  12. the huanglong

Maximum applause

Dragonstriker likes this.
  13. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

And still no E/M vulnerability

xagroth and the huanglong like this.
  14. the huanglong

One time when I was playing around with my own ideas for Karakuri redesigns they had prominent wind up-keys on their back or heads to try and justify that particular effect.

15. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

That would have made sense. Ah well.

16. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

And somehow Ikari gets almost as much! :joy:

17. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Have you SEEN what people do with/to their sexbots? Total Immunity is absolutely necessary.

18. the huanglong

Hang them?

19. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

This is about what CB and most of the "japanophile Otaku fanbois" know of Japan. It also almost defines JSA.

[​IMG]

Dragonstriker likes this.
  20. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

I mean I could argue the toss on a lot of little design decisions but I dunno it's that constructive.

Infinity has a lot of logically ridiculous but at least meant to be cool ideas -some of which I find cool and some of which I find ridiculous. I love it as a whole though.

I like Karakuri a lot more than I like JSA being the ridiculous hat for a combat unit sectorial, or cheerleaders taking point in a firefight in TJC. But what do I expect from a game often sourced in Anime. I like that they made a brave and creative but within genre choice rather than just recycling another moderately cool GITS cliche for once. In fact I might use Karakuri as my Cheerkillers, they seem appropriately cheerfully dystopian for my idea of Tunguska.

To me Total Immunity represents a movie trope that isnt that realistic but is fairly popular - the thing the Just. Won't. Frakking. Die. No matter what you hit it with, like the Terminator. To me thats a cool theme for Karakuri, I understand YMMV.

#240 Hachiman Taro, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation