1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yu Jing Fluff - Perception, Reality, Desire

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Devrailis, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Ah yes, the campaigns that are more or less won by a playerbase vote (since volume of wins are what matters).

Dragonstriker and xagroth like this.
  2. Saintrangers

Saintrangers Member
    Warcor

Noone is saying this are the same, the point is that each faction is not "good" that they are all shady as fuck, you are not reading about the horrors that got Pano to being the major faction because well they are the major faction, victors write history and all that. The point is that this is not a game where good guys fight bad guys, this is a game about people being people and doing horrible shit because they are people.

When it is another faction in the spotlight I bet you will see that, thing is if YJ where not doing shit like this there would be little justification for JSA's uprising.

Also Druze straight up commited war crimes so don't whine that you are the only faction being shown as this messed up. Its a game about messed up factions being shitty as.

Did you wave goodbye to the point of what I posted as it sailed above your head? that example was to highlight that throughout human history people have committed shitty acts on each other. CB's fluff clearly pulls from that.

3. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

And what happens in people's heads is immaterial, especially since CB was upfront that any story cooked up by the players wasn't canon.

chromedog likes this.
  4. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

That's... not how I took my fun, colourful, manga-inspired, escapist sci fi game.

I mean, shit, if I wanted to see depressing bullshit, misery and scumbaggery and horrible people I'd turn on the news.

To me this was a game where guys who weren't unnecessarily evil fought other guys who weren't unecessarily evil over things in wacky black ops scenarios, and I could kinda brush over the icki bits like the Morat IJA style prisioner camps that are mentioned in a small snippet in a big book.

Now we have mass graves broadcasted over the internet! A full book of them!

5. Saintrangers

Saintrangers Member
    Warcor

None of this shit is new, Druze committing war crimes since early in as far as I can see, if you want light fluffy stuff this might not be the right game. Or you know you could ignore the fluff like many do.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  6. A Mão Esquerda

Why can't you brush over the icky bits still? This game has ALWAYS had morally questionable actions, from the Kuang Shi to the slave Janissaries to the Morat prisons to ALEPH's motives to the Morlocks.

AdmiralJCJF and Saintrangers like this.
  7. DFW Ike

DFW Ike Well-Known Member

Well, before today, these were all very small parts of the publications. Today they just released a CBL dedicated to their brand new unit dedicated to the ethnic cleansing of the Japanese.

Dragonstriker, xagroth and Kallas like this.
  8. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Druze were introduced as a unit of no-nonsense PMC with the motto "we are bad guys but we can be worse"

Yu Jing, AFAIK, wasnt.

As for ignoring the entire fluff, working on it.

Can you undestand the difference between "a paragraph in a book" and "an entire book with full marketing compliment"?

9. Saintrangers

Saintrangers Member
    Warcor

yep good guys always strap bombs to prisoners and send them into combat

10. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

It's never really been like this though bud, the fluff has always been dark mate. Like you can still ignore it and enjoy it, but the tone in the game isn't anything new no matter how much people say it is. Like idk, YJ has always been a pretty straight up grim faction.

11. Dude

Dude Master in training

You know, if we're talking about actual good and evil, I think Ikari might be more evil that the Imperial Service. When the ISS kills civilians, it's because large sectors of the populace support treason against the Emperor. When Ikari kills civilians, it's to let everyone know they just want to be mean.

xagroth and Saintrangers like this.
  12. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Ikari is a mercenary outfit, Imperial Service is the paramilitary police of a state.

I kinda feel like they should be held to different standards.

xagroth and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  13. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

Yes, but if you consider how the United States approached war in WW2, we firebombed Japan without ceasing for months upon months...

So if the goal is to beat an enemy who are fanatically devoted into submission, there is a precedent to that.

I think at this point we all have our positions, and aren't moving... I think Uprising is bad for YJ, but hopefully, not the end of the faction. While I'm planning to play JSA, I still really like how vanilla YJ plays and feels, even while strongly disliking ISS in both gameplay and fluff.

xagroth, Aldo and Saintrangers like this.
  14. Dude

Dude Master in training

That's up to you. I'd keep in mind that they're both faithfully serving the priorities and procedures of their respective organizations.

15. A Mão Esquerda

Well, considering that there are multiple paragraphs in various books... because, of course, glossing over the background of the various Imperial Agents, and the Wu Ming, and the Invisible Prisons, and the fight against the Triads, and the Kuang Shi, and the Bao Troops, etc., is fine, but any expansion beyond that is a bridge too far.

Saintrangers likes this.
  16. A Mão Esquerda

Or to putting down a violent, virulent uprising that murdered Imperial Agents in their beds and spread to every part of the Japanese territories... and the amount of space spent talking about the worldview and ruthlessness of the Imperial Service covers a good portion of all of the YJ fluff...

Saintrangers likes this.
  17. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Pardon me, had 6 pages to catch up on.

This.

JSA needs to step out? OK, they were never a good fit, anyway. Permanently? OK, there's a few ways to do that, and quite frankly the Uprising almost as-written will do that.

It would have taken maybe a paragraph (well, a sentence here or there spread throughout the book) to write up the efforts it took to get the ISS and Yanjing looking the other direction for the various negotiations.

So much this. Again, Uprising is a Yu Jing versus the Human Sphere book. And there's no YJ in it. Why?

This.

pretty much.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, THIS!

very much this.

Yeah, it's why I'm not so happy with the new JSA. All the worst parts of the Edo-period social castes, and the worst excesses of the Imperial Japanese Army of the 1930s?

So, when will the JSA march through Nanking, Sinapore, and Hong Kong?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Where's the :puke: emoji?

Sweet baby jeebus, THIS.

A nation cannot afford to go there. The nations that do get taken over by their neighbors as soon as that dictator dies (or gets replaced by the UN/O12, see Iraq).

There were 30 thousand reports of China driving tanks over the folks at Tianamen Square, my grandparents have pictures from about 2 weeks before the tanks drove through.

China did it because those people were a threat to the stability of China. (I can follow the logic as to the Chinese did it, I happen to disagree with the thinking, but it does follow a logical process)

China did not then go and kill the families of all the protesters.

Kuang Shi are basically YJ's death row. People who have no desire to abide by social conventions or laws, the kinds of sick fucks that shoot up a movie theater for their 15nanoseconds of fame.

They're not some dark secret, YJ troops and civilians cheer when a KS dies. (Probably shouldn't cheer at the death of a person, but, well, I did cheer when I heard Bin Laden had Been Dead, with a very large glass of tequila.)

It's like saying that a country that has a death penalty has no regard for human life. Some people think that, but what can you do with a person that is a threat to themselves and others as long as they continue to breathe?

Very much this.

I'm OK with playing the jackbooted thugs enforcing the Implacable Will of the Emperor.

I'm very much not OK with taking actions that make the insurrection immediately worse and increasing the number of threats to my troops.

Well, what we did back in the Cold War was to play a little bumper boats, depth charge the crap out of some submarines, fire a few rounds across the bows of American Coast Guard ships up in the Bering Sea.

Along with a polite discussion between the KGB Chief of Station in DC and the Director of the CIA about whatever the hell the CIA was most recently up to, putting that submarine into Murmansk harbor. I mean, seriously, old boy, that just isn't cricket! Stay 6km offshore like everyone else!

If you cannot hold it anymore, there's no sense in bleeding out over it.

And again, this is like the US shooting down a Russian airlift OVER RUSSIAN AIRSPACE, and nothing happens.

Fuck.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I think I'm done.

18. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

It isn't explicitly an 'ethnic cleansing' unit.

It's just the unit that does the most aggressive quelling of unrest.

So, not my cup of tea, but it isn't the SS yet - they're not genocide noncoms, they are very much the 'unfair judge dredd who will blow up your apartment building because 1 guy was a rebel'.

19. Dude

Dude Master in training

I'm actually sorry to hear that. I disagree with a lot of your interpretation of the narrative, but I can't tell you to be happy with something that upsets you.

20. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

THE YUÁNDÙN DIVISION “The enemy does not show any respect for honor or rules. To protect the StateEmpire, we will do the same. We are the Emperor’s shield.”
    Colonel Peng Shou. Extract from the foundational harangue of the Yuándùn Division.

The Yuándùn (“Shield”) Division is a special task force of the Imperial Service created for contact operations and the suppression of high-risk threats. Known as “the butchers of Motobushima” for their cruel performance in the takeover of the city of Kuraimori during the Japanese Uprising, their infamous reputation precedes them wherever they are deployed, where they are feared and hated in equal measure. Following the operations in Kuraimori, the Yuándùn Division has earned a well-deserved reputation in the StateEmpire Army as a task force specialized in hunting Japanese, a task that they conduct with particular joy and efficiency. As a unit that is “all or nothing,” it is clear that members of this division will neither show mercy to Japanese forces nor expect it from them. The members of the Yuándùn Division are selected from among the best troopers in the Imperial Service and from some State regiments, which provide the heavy tactical reinforcements that a light corps such as the Imperial Service often lacks. However, it takes a special kind of person to become a member of this division. Beyond combat abilities, Yuándùn Division members are all committed to fulfilling their duty to protect the StateEmpire, a duty that prevails over moral sense. The purpose of this special body is to protect the StateEmpire from both internal and external enemies, using special methods and tactics, many of them of dubious morality.
    However, all the actions of this body are approved by the Emperor, the only authority to which they are accountable. The knowledge of being backed by the Emperor reinforces in them a sense of impunity and of importance in their mission.
    The Yuándùn Division goes to great lengths to safeguard the StateEmpire security, and there are neither lives nor rights that these corps are not willing to sacrifice to fulfill their duty.

A feature report by Amber Bohanian for the Modern Elite Groups series. Check it out at Sabot! Available on all Maya regions.

This is their fluff.

Also, can I note how horribly the translation job was? Not that the Spanish version is any better, but there are some real kentucky fried engrish parts in there.

xagroth and Eldritch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation