1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yu Jing Fluff - Perception, Reality, Desire

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Devrailis, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Go read, like, literally any of the background.

But this is certainly the point at which to remind you that this is supposed to be about the Yu Jing background and how it could be written more sympathetically, not your personal issues with Christianity.

chromedog likes this.
  2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I've read a lot of it. I remember plenty of propaganda-style fluff talking about how awesome the church is, but I don't remember anything saying it had shrived itself of that kind of corruption. In the end, though, I'm talking about PanO as a whole; the default assumption for PanO seems to be "mostly good, with the occasional bad apple" whereas the assumption for Yu Jing seems to be "mostly bad, with the occasional heroic individual." My comments upthread about "Harvey Weinstein types" are in the vein of imagining a paradigm where those views are flipped.

3. AdmiralJCJF

@Hecaton , you have some really bad approaches to discussion.

This one is over, move on or you'll just be on yet another blocked list.

4. Hecaton

I'm entirely unclear as to what you're salty about.

5. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Indulgence can be brought, the easiest and most critiqued way is on the behalf of somebody else.

6. AdmiralJCJF

While that's implied, it's not outright stated and it goes against both the Catholic and Protestant positions which made up the unified Christian Church.

And why is a moderator (of all people) continuing an off topic discussion?

7. psychoticstorm

It is kinda relevant kinda not, the topic transmuted a long time ago in contrasting were Yu Jing and PanO are "evil".

A Mão Esquerda and stevenart74 like this.
  8. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

How NICE. . .

We are here hell-bent towards ANOTHER Hate Rant about how nasty are the Christian Priests, that SURELY ALL are Serial Raper of Childrens; how wonderfully devolved had this Thread. . .

But since We are on a Yujing Thread, rather than a Pan-O Thread; SHOULD WE REALLY discuss of the typical approach of old, corrupt, rich CHINESE / JAPANESE / KOREAN Pedophiles style of "Mistel Halvey We-Hyn-Styn" towards the Bishounen and "Aidoru" Idols of the Oriental Media. . .??

I now envison this very Thread going nicely side-to-side to the Off-Topic English, with the "Bad Kempeitai Name" one with its nice Homosexual Hater and "Anti-U.S.A. Stuff". . .!!

unclesrouce and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  9. AdmiralJCJF

Was about to quote a bunch of misinformed stuff people are spouting about PanOceania and correct it (again), but this isn't the thread for that (still, and despite what some, including the moderator it would seem, believe).

Instead I'll just remind everyone that this is supposed to be a conversation about Yu Jing.

Perhaps we could suggest some more ways that Yu Jing could be reflected positively in ways that don't come off as propaganda.

I'd also like to read about a Yu Jing battalion holding the line after a Sepsitor attack tears apart a PanOceania unit, or a single Shasvastii manages to get a Nomad force to turn on one another. Or read about the ISS breaking up a human trafficking ring shipping slaves into Haqqislam.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  10. psychoticstorm

I think Yu Jing are reflected quite correctly and positively in the fluff or at least not worse than any other faction.

A Mão Esquerda and stevenart74 like this.
  11. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

Concur TOTALLY with @psychoticstorm assessment. . .

What I really, Really, REALLY like about the Background of Infinity is the ANY Faction (even the Combined Army and the Druze Mercs) have their own fair shares of "Dark Villains" AND of "Shining Heroes" AND of ALL SHADES of Grey in-between (UNLESS is 50 Shades, in that case is JUST poorly written B.D.S.M. Softcore penny dreadfuls !!). . .

12. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ Well-Known Member

Yu Jings "shinning hero" works for the EI now...

Dragonstriker and Flipswitch like this.
  13. psychoticstorm

She died a hero, she was not a hero though, remember her background.

To be entirely fair though and I have said it again, she would have either been simply removed, lost her tactical jump or what happened to her, at least with the later move it gave Yu Jing the right to say they had a honourable martyr in Paradiso.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Problem with the removal was that it also removed the identity of the faction and reduced it to simply an army repressing the JSA. Having identifiable individuals with stories is important, and with her removal CB stymmied the storytelling for people who don't buy the books and delve into the lore.

The person was important, Tactical Jump was not, so the only real problem was that Yu Jing didn't have any loyalists left to carry their story so the story of Yu Jing became the story of the JSA - hence threads like this.

15. Hecaton

I really disagree. Especially in the case of the Yu Jing/PanO rivalry.

Dragonstriker and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  16. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

In part that may be reception... I've found both in global campaigns and in general discussing Infinity in person/on forums, that the most negative bits of the Yu Jing background are remembered, while the positives are forgotten, whereas for PanOceania the opposite is true. There is probably a lot of psychology behind that, we could start pulling in Edward Said and explain it.

In the case of the material itself, and how it approaches the rivalry between the two powers, I'll apologize-and-still-do-it keep harping incessantly on the dialectic nature of Yu Jing.

It may be that Yu Jing's dichotomies unbalance everything it presents... material focused on Yu Jing falls into the duality of the Rival and the Hyperpower, the antithesis of the StateEmpire to PanO's thesis.

Material focused on PanOceania is outside that framework, not dialectical but... exceptionalist? The United States of America may have been left in the dustbin of Infinity history, but PanO has in many ways taken up its philosophical underpinnings. Yu Jing's place in PanOceania's story of itself (and thus the material we get) is essentially dismissive: there is one Hyperpower, there are no rivals.

#116 Shiwen, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    xagroth, Section9 and Devrailis like this.
  17. psychoticstorm

Well the Yj Jing PanO rivalry is mainly represented in PanO oddly enouph, the PanO secret services for example were formed because Yu Jing had overwhelmed them in secret services and spying, same goes with PanO industries been silently acquired by Yu Jing and what PanO should do to stop it.

Ko Dali when she was removed was nothing else but a Combat Jump tiger with a really short story, removing her combat jump would be everything the troop had and having so many light flamethrowers at the deployment zone of the enemy turn 1 before he moves was broken and had to be fixed.

They chose the latter way to fix it.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

To be honest, @psychoticstorm, a) from my digging, Tactical Jump was changed (from what I can tell, both in late 2012) about the same time that Ko Dali was sepsitored, meaning that for game play reasons the removal actually doesn't make sense* and b) we're not really discussing game play

P.s. also, Defersen is "nothing else than a Hacker Hospitaler" so...

* That is to say, they also removed the same ability from Van Zant and Van Zant is still alive and kicking in Ariadna

19. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

Let's not kid ourselves, Van Zant escaped the sepistor because Van Zant makes for a poor Zerg Queen ^_^.

20. psychoticstorm

Since I had to go get the old book out, no Van Zant did not loose his tactical jump and tactical jump did not change during paradiso, tactical jump was massively changed in N3 but for all first and second edition it was the same, LT goes in all other AD troops can come from were he/she entered, with coordinated if they so wish, Ko Dali and 3 other tigers in the enemy deployment was not a welcoming sight, she had to go and CB chose that way, Van Jant was not that much of an issue because Ariadna AD troops were not Tigers and did not bring the devastation Ko Dali brought with her.

Now if the discussion moves to "do we need Chinese special characters", the answer is yes, JSA got too many because of their nature and this limited actual Chinese special characters to evolve, I hope their departure will open the way.

Barrogh, xagroth, Space Ghost and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation