1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wishing for a Scots based Merc Company...

Discussion in 'General' started by -Ghost-, May 30, 2018.

1. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

As it says on the tin, I would really like a Scotsman based company that fits into the Non-Aligned Armies or at least a Merc Company that has some Scottish units in it.

Hell, each one of them has either Hunzakuts, Al'Hawwas, Al-Fasids, or Bashis. So why can't things like the Caterans, S.A.S, Mormaers, and Volunteers be part of a distinguished outfit that has some mix in the sphere. Even if it was a French, Scotts, and Nomads (or Haqq) force it would be ace. You hear me, CB?! I want some variety with my Scotsman.

/rant

What do y'all think? Highlanders good as is, or are they getting a little stale?

Part of the backstory could be a contingent of the Ariadnan Expeditionary Force to Paradiso had a unit that was battered and beaten, then court martialed for a crime they didn't commit. They then escaped from a maximum security stockade in a PanO backworld to the Tunguskan world ship. Today, still wanted by the Hexahedron these men and women survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem and no one else can help maybe you could hire the Och-Aye Team.

In all seriousness though, the MRRF, Black Hand, and Scots could be in cahoots with one another. The Black Hand fronting the funding to gain access to Tesseum and the Scots running protection in exchange for tech and better QOL for their clansmen.

#1 -Ghost-, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Vandal and Del S like this.
  2. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

What about a PMC from Earth Scotland (which IIRC is held by Pan-O), that hires some Caledonians as muscle? Leading to hilarity as Caledonians language has gone a bit more Gaelicy....

PanOScot: Right, noo, ye attack from the right flank and..
    CaledonianScot: Dè? Chan urrainn dhomh tuigsinn
    PanOScot: ...Whit?
    CaledonianScot: O chan eil thu a 'bruidhinn Beurla
    PanOScot: So this is why ma great great great granda hated Gaelic.
    Ghost of PanOScot's Great Great Great Grandfather: Actually, it wis cos we got Gaelic programs on BBC2 instead of the Simpsons every Thursday.
    CaledonianScot: O dhia, tha an cartùn fuilteach seo air a bhith a 'dol airson 206 seusan ...

-Ghost- and McNamara like this.
  3. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

I guess you could consolidated McMurrough and the Catalans into one Sectorial, but that's basically it, the other units of Caledonia don't seem very mercy to me, all seem part of a military and there are no clues that they might hire out there services except of the mutants maybe (they are still part of a regiment though so while the individual might do it, it's unlikely the unit will).

Wulver link with Massacre and a Riot Grrl might be lots of fun, but I doubt it will happen.

4. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Wulver Mercs seems like something that should happen, actually. They've got the kind of outcast nature that would justify it.

Wrong independence-seeking portion of a former Imperialist European state, there :stuck_out_tongue:

barakiel and McNamara like this.
  5. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I'm sure that there's a Merc group which recruits extensively from Ariadna in the RPG...

6. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

Aren't they the Caterans!?:sweat_smile:

meikyoushisui and colbrook like this.
  7. Magonus

Magonus Well-Known Member

If someone wants to put together a fluffy roster, I'll add it to the Skunkworks builder.

8. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Presumably it's only existing ITS units it could have?

9. Magonus

Yep. I think the only changes Skunkworks made to CHA was NWI on the Mormaer and a 1-point discount to non-Chain Rifle Galwegians.

10. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

So, something like

11. Magonus

That works, though I'd cut the "Caledonian Aristocracy" Mormaers from the roster, and the Volunteer AVA down to 5 or 6.

No PanO toops for a PanO Scotland PMC?

Golem2God likes this.
  12. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

I leaned it more towards generic rather than Pano-Riadna/Calepanodia, if it was to be truly PanO owned, might as well swap all the REMs for their PanO equivelants across the board, add Machinists, Trauma-Docs and maybe AVA 3 Fusiliers? They all seem like they could represent better equipped generic PMC troops better than PanO's heavier stuff without resorting to KTS.

Probably makes sense to lose Mormaers, maybe also cut Greys and Volunteers down a notch.

Wondering if ORCs could be justified at AVA2/3 to pair with Greys a bit? I mean, it'd actually see ORCs getting used, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

13. Magonus

PanOriadna is fine by me, especially given the recent Uprising fluff with PanO meddling internationally. If you think it's a bit too much, then we can just lock it behind a password like we did with other crossover stuff.

14. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

The Varangian(sp) Guard is an Ariadnan mercenary company in the RPG.

15. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Well then, maybe something along these lines

Basic idea is, owned by an Earth-born Scot and some war buddies, set up his PMC, recruited a bunch of Ariadnans, bought some REMs and started selling shooting services. This list won't have a huge amount of variety, IIRC it'll max out at like 700 points if you were to buy the most expensive of everything there up to AVA, so it should probably be a little less flexible than the three NA2 Merc companies of canon - which IMO fits given they'd be a pretty small company all things considered.

@-Ghost-'s thread though, so maybe he's got a more interesting roster in mind for his Och-Aye Team :)

Varangian Guard seem to also have been from Paradiso in N2 from a Forum post I found. RPG Corebook mentions them on page 207, shortly after some sort of "Ikari Company" and a "Star Company" that I've never heard of.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can't find anything in the Ariadna faction book on them, sadly.

#15 Del S, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  16. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

Caledonia-MRRF-Tunguska

Volunteers
    Brawlers
    Caterans
    Zouaves
    Authorized Bounty Hunters
    Para-Commandos
    Dozers
    Isobel
    Grenzers
    Mormaers
    SAS
    Wulvers/Cams
    McMurrough
    Hecklers
    Stempler Zonds
    Transductor Zonds
    Tractor Muls
    Zondbots
    Anaconda
    Irmandinhos
    Spektr/Chasseur
    Warcors

Blair Reid HI (Based off Mormaer)
    Shock Immunity, V:NWI, Full Auto L2, AP Molotok, Heavy Pistol, T2 Knife
    Chain of Command profile has AP Rifle + Lgl instead.

Reid's Rebels (Working Title)

Del S likes this.
  17. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Can someone point me to where I can find these? I did some googling but all I can find is people talking about it.

18. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

I personally think that an All-Highlander Scots (or All-Caledonian) Force of Mercenaries will be quite interesting from a Game Standpoint of Fluff and Background-Based Rules. . .

While NOT a Recreation, but rather as a "Portmanteau Nickname" the Character of Liam Neeson portrayed in the Movie "Rob Roy" would be quite an interesting Named Commander Character to have. . .

I think that perhaps in the past an Ariadnan Miniature was done to resemble Mr. Neeson features, but could not find it. . . .!!!

Maybe also sacking a little the Hystorical Character background, could be a Loyalist of Caledonia that is forced to go away from beloved Scone Highlands because Poltiing of some nefarious Local Mormaer Duke in cahoots with a foreign Mining Concern (let's say a Pan-Oceanian Lobby acting as Invading Force. . .

19. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

Liam Neeson is already a Galwegiam sadly.

I just had this idea for a Highlander clan that looked to make a name for themselves and make some cash. They knew they would need the French starports tonhaveat chance to get out and sell their Tesseum and since the Black Hand/Tunguska already cooperates with the MRRF it makes sense that they get some contracts. Could be security or asset procurement.

Just liked the idea of a bombastic, honorable redhead being in charge of a rambunctious lot who like her want to make good money for their clan. Plus, I don't think we've had any HI characters outside of Neema.

Golem2God likes this.
  20. Magonus

Skunkworks is a fan army builder that puts together sectorials from existing units, as well as a few minor adjustments to existing profiles (Bolts, Raicho, etc). There's a bit more to it than that, but that was the basic telos.

The code and data entry of the builder is more or less done, we're just wrapping up art and debugging. So there's still time to add things like this Varangian Guard or whatever you guys come up with for a PanO-Scot PMC.

-Ghost- and Abrilete like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation