1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcards (not) replacing all Fireteam core Troopes

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hachiman Taro, Jun 2, 2019.

1. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It's exactly as it says:

For a Fireteam: Core (and only a Fireteam: Core) you must include at least one of the troopers listed in the chart for that Fireteam. So you could substitute all but one mandatory trooper, but never all of them.

2. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

Is it a problem for harris or duo through ? When a wildcard trooper has the harris skill or the duos skill, he can usually form his own harris/duos.

For example, if you make a "djanbazan" harris with 2 odalisque (including an harris odalisque) and Leila, then your are doing an odalisque harris

3. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

If the trooper doesn't count as X, and we see a duo with 2 mandarory troopers, could the wildcard substitute one of them? As an example, the gecko+mobile duo, can lupe be put in there for a gecko+lupe duo?

Why does wildcard works differently when joining a core and when joining a haris/duo/other? There is a problem there

4. ijw

Yes. "Wildcard character: Lupe can be part of any Fireteam of this Sectorial Army."

Gecko + MB is a Fireteam in the Sectorial, therefore Lupe can be part of it.

It works differently because the rule says it works differently.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  5. Armihaul

You know, that fireteam duo states that needs 1 gecko and 1 mobile.

And. Please, tell me where in the official rules is the wildcard rule for haris? What I am trying to explain is that, even when you could be correct, the forum is not a correct place to state or change rules. And doing it like that is bringing problems. We can find the rule for core linkteams, ok, but not for haris or another. Also, you said that they work differently, but then you say that lupe could substitute a mobile brigada in there making both rules the same

Can't you see that is absurd?

6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

There is no reason to suspect otherwise.

yes and no, but beyond this things do change and things get tested.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  7. ijw

Yes, it does. 'Any Fireteam' means 'any Fireteam'.

I don't understand. What rule are you looking for?

No, it isn't. Which is why the additional rule for Fireteams: Core is on the wiki.

There is no equivalent rule for Fireteams: Haris, because it's a restriction for Fireteams: Core.

OK, now I think I see where we are getting mixed up.

The new rule does not describe how Wildcards can be part of a Fireteam, it adds an additional restriction, which only applies to Fireteams: Core. As this restriction doesn't apply to Fireteams: Haris, there is no equivalent new rule for Fireteams: Haris.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  8. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Why does a Fireteam Core not require one member to have the Fireteam: Core Special Skill, while both Haris and Duo require the equivalent skill?

9. ijw

Because there's no such Skill, and adding it wouldn't help anyway - several Wildcard units like Kamau would have it.

AdmiralJCJF and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  10. Armihaul

This is making less sense every time

Wildcard does not works in a "count as" basis and can "join any fireteam", but you are telling me that they can substitute any mandatory trooper when there is no rule for that, only the extra pseudo limitation for core, which is only for cores but also works on any other fireteam?

I get where are you trying to go, but I don't see that the rules are enought well explained for that

11. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Alright, let me rephrase.

What is the purpose behind the Fireteam: Haris and Duo Special Skills?

12. ijw

It's inherent in being able to be part of any Fireteam. Have you read the stickied Fireteam summary?

The new restriction does not 'also works on any other fireteam'.

I haven't specifically asked, but structurally it's there to provide limits on those types of Fireteam.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  13. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

Regarding harris, one of the purpose is : SWC tax on 3 men fireteam.

AdmiralJCJF, ijw and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  14. Armihaul

Ok, but 'forming part of' and changing mandatory requirements are different topics. Jet, we are assuming that the wildcards can be used as part of the mandatory troopers when they don't count as those troopers, breaking the requirements for some fireteams. It is a contradiction.

15. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

This almost inclusive list of Fireteams has a Special Skill relating to them and is required in some capacity in order to form the Fireteam. They also serve to provide other limitations.
    Do you think it would've been beneficial for Fireteam: Core to follow that same structure?

16. ijw

No, they're not two separate things. I think this is part of what's causing confusion. The Wildcard text doesn't say 'can join any Fireteam except ones that list specific compositions', it says 'any Fireteam'.

Again, have you read the stickied thread? Because this has already been covered.

17. ijw

What would be the benefit?

What I would prefer is for Army to remove 'Fireteam: Core' from the Special Skills sections of all units.

AdmiralJCJF and Ginrei like this.
  18. Armihaul

Yes, I have read it. But then again, where does it says that the wildcard can substitute any mandatory trooper? Why can it substitute a trooper A when the link is A+B+C?

Yes, it can be part of any, but the extra requirements should be fullfiled too, shouldn't they?. If not, can the wildcard substitute the trooper whith the haris hability (another mandatory requirement for a haris fireteam) even when the wildcard doesn't have it? I know that it can not. Then why can they substitute a mandatory trooper when is another requirement?

You are saying that one rule can step on another, but the reason seems arbitrary to me. The only way to fullfill all the rules, seems that the wildcard can not substitute mandatory link members, but then again it crashes with the new "limitation" for cores (which is no limitation but a modification to get extra options)

19. ijw

Again, it's inherent in 'can be part of any Fireteam'. If you think that isn't enough (and don't want to take my word for it that it's been confirmed by CB), it's shown in the Military Order examples where a Wildcard Knight of Santiago takes the place of one of the four 'mandatory' Knights Hospitaller in a Crusade Fireteam.

Note that your 'mandatory trooper' is functionally identical to 1-x troopers from the same unit. Ruleswise there is no difference in how mandatory the Hollow Man and the Kriza Borak in a Special Duo are, and how mandatory the two Hollow Men are in a normal Duo of Hollow Men.

And again, the new rule does not allow extra options, it reduces options.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  20. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

As it stands that makes sense.
    I'll take that as a no. But to answer your question, I think it would help to provide consistency within the rules. Consistency makes things easier to understand for players.

The situation right now is that Fireteams have different ways of requiring what troopers are in them. They require a trooper possessing the right skill or being one of the listed troopers on the chart. Only one method should be used to determine what troopers must be part of a Fireteam.

Hecaton and Ogid like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation