1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do we have 5 very samey heavy infantry?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Mahtamori, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Well shit you're not actually dead.

2. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Never used this ... maybe one time? I wrote this before, but I would downgrade them to Zhanshi with BS12, 1W+NWI maybe even 4-4 keep the other states.

Counts as Zuyong is good idea count as Zuyong/Shang Ji would be even better ;-) Give BTS 3.
    add frenzy - keep weapons.
    NO! - I think you like to join the Wu Ming?

Jep. Don´t forgot "imm cont.dam."

3. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Right now I'd say I'm mostly happy with:
    Zuyong
    Shang Ji
    Mowang
    Hsien
    Hac Tao
    Su-Jian

Those I feel need tweeks to be mostly happy with are:
    Crane (6-4 Move)
    Jujak (Immune Continue Damage)
    Liu Xing (More weapon options)
    Haidao (Count as Invinicbles in IA and add to White Banner)
    Wu Ming (Add Frenzy)
    Zhencha (More weapon options, needs to be at least on par with the Sombra)
    Yan Huo (Delete Bioimmunity, Add Immunity (AP Ammo, Crits) 6 BTS)

The only one that I think that needs an overhaul is
    Hulang

My wants would be to:
    Add Frenzy (He needs to come down in cost! With his Mim-6, his loosing cover is mitigated)
    Change Forward Deploy to Infiltration (-3). This allows for more options in your half of the table. He could go beyond but at a huge risk of not making the PH roll.

Add weapons
    Heavy Shotgun
    Red Fury
    Different types of CCW. Exp, DA, E/M. (However his PH needs to go up or Martial Arts go up)

Higher BTS or add Tinbot. I've found he's easily hacked and needs some marginal defense.

4. Triumph

Hulang is fine. It works really well at 400 points, the game is fundamentally broken at 300 points it's never going to successfully compete with other options without making it over the top streamlined but that's less a problem with the unit and a bigger indictment on the staleness of the 300 point metagame where it's a requirement of units to be ultra efficient and where you can't afford to spend points on situational gear and skills without it being a detriment.

#164 Triumph, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  5. archon

archon Well-Known Member

I would mainly agree with this list. In the case of Liu I think you mean we need more minis (Multi and Spitfire).

Yan Huo threatment is a very good idea. This would make him the firepower-roadblock he is meant to be.

I would make the Jujaks 1 W + NWI to make them a little bit cheaper.
    In the case of the Haidao I have the feeling, CB wanted it so: Make FT chaep or keep the boni up. Oh and I don´t see them in WB, this would be to close to IA.

I think CB wants to give us a Shikami light here. So I don´t think he will get a 24" high burst weapon. First I would clean up the profiles. Remove multi rifle and just mirror the combi profile with FTO instead of FD.
    Frenzy is a good idea if not imepetious, could make him dirt cheap and give him a straight battlefield role.
    The FTO version could easily chill in the fireteam until its time to go hunting.

I would also remove the mono, give him AP+DA (EM is overused but would be even better) and raise his PH to 13/14 +3 Dodge - finish ;-)

Hacking protection: Get an EVO or put him in a Tinbot link.

Oh one last thing: As I read the Aristeia card of Lei Gong I wish Krit would give him his Feuerbach and CB can make a S2 Su Jian out of Lei Gong, that would transfer his A! role better. Oh and smoke.

#165 archon, Dec 27, 2022
  6. Triumph

The multirifle is what makes it dangerous. You're buying the unit to put a mimetic -6 gunfighter in a link, if you then arm it with a combi you're ruining the purpose of bringing it.

Bringing the Hulang to do CC is a trap. That is not its purpose, it's just a niche option you can take advantage of sometimes. Its primary role is shooting things.

It has D-Charges on every profile. DA+AP CCW is more or less pointless, having the Mono option makes more sense.

archon likes this.
  7. archon

archon Well-Known Member

You are right, I see him as a CC unit and would use the fireteam as a transport or opportunity. Of curse the MR is better and more expensive.

Okay - I forgot the D-Charges. So its EM then ;-) No mono means more PH, more PH means better dodge and extra Dam in CC. And I also think mono is more expensive.

8. Space Ranger

That might be right IF 400 was the standard. But it's not. I can't seem to get anyone to play other than 300pts.

If White Company can have them, then why not White Banner? I don't even understand how WC gets Naval troops to work for them as mercenaries. Even if its just an AVA1 thing, it would be good.

Do you mean stronger or better ranged weapon? He already has B4 SMG. It's not like other troops like him don't get similar. Sombra Red Fury, Prowler Spitfire, well Nomads get stuff like that.

Mono is not bad but it's only good on certain things like TAGs and other HI. I'd be happy with almost anything different but he would need either better PH or better Martial Arts to go with it.

9. Triumph

The fireteam is transport, but it's transport to get under 16" and start hitting targets with the multirifle/flamethrower rather than transport into CC. IA does not effectively transport anything into CC due to no vis zone grenades. It compliments the Shang Ji covering their generally sub-optimal range bands and handling the close up firefights.

The issue at 300 points is you don't have the room to fit it into lists. You can't build that kind of redundancy into an army because the odds are your NCO option in the form of Krit or Tai Sheng has already filled this role in the army and you don't have the room to buy a second option, and the combo of LT+1 and NCO is too good to forgo instead of the Hulang.

The game is fundamentally broken at 300 points. You will never "fix" the Hulang so it can compete at 300 points without making it cheat its nuts off like an Asawira or Teuton (Magisters got lots of buffs, including +1 BS and a -4 point cost so they could actually compete as a fireteam lead instead of link filler as renamed Teutons), but again any game that needs to cheat like that to balance these kinds of units is fundamentally unbalanced in the first place. At 300 points there is no fix for the Hulang without making it utterly unrecognizable.

#169 Triumph, Dec 27, 2022
    Benkei and archon like this.
  10. archon

archon Well-Known Member

WC looks to me like they want to finsih it quickly an throw together mainly Pan O & Yu Jing sprinkeld with Haqqislam and accidental rules, that make certain units better than in there home sectorial (more before the fireteam upgrade). I think too much HI options will get WB to close to IA.

Better range.
    [/QUOTE]

11. Triumph

White Company isn't built around fluff or theme, it's designed by a power gamer and then dressed with very a loosely fitting theme to retroactively justify optimised choices to try and get a Pan-O/Yu jing player to buy into a second faction, and then hopefully a third with the Danavas or Varangians.

Approaching that bullshit from the perspective of lore and fluff is an exercise in madness.

12. Space Ranger

I kinda agree with you but again, no one wants to play 400. At least more than a one-off thing.

BTW I also forgot about the D-Charges. Now that you are no negatives to using them in CC, it's pretty good if not better.

Yes I too think of him as a CC guys. Because well, that's what I want. I miss having JSA and he's the only one of two HI with marital arts for a while. He was I think created for CC. At least when he first came out. Otherwise why even have a good CC and MA? If I remember right he didn't even have the non-FD profiles before.

13. Space Ranger

I can't argue with either of those :grinning:

14. Triumph

N3 it had FD lvl2 baseline. There were no FTO options for it when it released, all it did was Duo.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation