1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats up with Data sphere?

Discussion in 'News' started by andre61, Aug 16, 2018.

1. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

Do any body know what's going on with Data sphere? There is no new up dates in sometime.

2. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

It's volunteer based... so people will have to write articles for the blog or post in the forums (there old and new attachments work, woah!).

3. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Well, it was started when CB were going to shut down their own forums, so a group of enterprising peeps started up DS as a way to continue things.
    When CB DIDN'T kill their forums, the immediate need for it went away.

m2cat likes this.
  4. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Was there any good reason/justification why they wanted to do it ?

5. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

Seeing as I was one of the most dedicated editors over at DS at one time, I think I can answer this:

Basically, with the flow of time, the editing team has eroded to the point where there was no one willing to contribute anymore. The blog was in many places outdated with N2 information and rehauling it would take too much time from any one person. The owner and the driving force behind DS (Scorch) gave Infinity up and moved on to new projects.

The forums died for a couple of reasons, main one being CB not shutting down their own forums, but second being that most of discussion is done on Facebook nowadays, anyway.

Today, the Polish community is using the forums as their national forums, and the rest of the website is more or less inactive.

DS was a nice project when it was needed, but with the plethora of information available on blogs, forums, and Facebook, artificially keeping it alive was too much work for a volunteer staff of editors.

Wolf, Belgrim, xagroth and 4 others like this.
  6. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

No.

Mob of Blondes likes this.
  7. andre61

I could be wrong, But was DS the Online Infinity Magazine, So! I take it that there is no longer a online mag for infinity? And that would be very sad.

prophet of doom likes this.
  8. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

More or less. It was mainly a blog run by hobbyists for other hobbyists, with various articles, some regarding tactics, some regarding hobbying, such as terrain building or painting. At this point in time, unfortunately, there's not enough will (among volunteer editors) and room (on the Internet Infinity hobbying scene) to provide such service anymore.

chromedog likes this.
  9. andre61

I guess a off line mag is out then as well then? Sad, GW has one, and I think their games are crap.

10. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Also unenforcement of rules, so the "independent" side of DS doesn't matter much.

Sad thing is that feature wise (attachments, logins, themes...), it seems to work better, and was cared about more than this one.

m2cat and prophet of doom like this.
  11. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

Nice to hear that someone thought of DS as the online magazine for Infinity... I enjoyed writing articles for DS for a while and DS has helped me introduce 20x20 to a wider audience I had ever imagined. If I had just made my own blog, no one would have taken notice.

My observation is that blog writers enjoy writing for a while, and then they run out of topics or the activity becomes stale. If they don't get enough feedback, the writing effort seems to be in vain. Thus, bloggers come and go. There certainly are more blogs on Infinity out there. Some of the things posted here may as well be an article for Data Sphere. Apart from this, there are you tube channels, podcasts, etc. But you will notice that the authors only do their thing for a while, no matter which medium they use.

I still have the power to post articles on DS but I don't want to run the show by myself. I also don't feel the need anymore to write articles on various topics concerning Infinity. I certainly enjoyed doing that for a while!

I do, however, want to continue with my 20x20 project. I had moved it to the Pride of Rodina, but that blog also died. I am contemplating starting my own blog for 20x20, but have not found the mojo yet to do so. I am also not sure whether enough people would pay attention for it being worth it.

Belgrim, Errhile and emperorsaistone like this.
  12. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

@prophet of doom

Would CB object to you running a thread on here for 20x20? That would be a lot easier than creating a whole new blog, and has about as much exposure as you could hope to get.

Wolf likes this.
  13. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I have threads on 20x20 now and in the past. There were never any complaints. The fb presence of cb once even advertised an article on some blog talking about alternative scenarios and 20x20 was mentioned.

True, I could just link to the google drive document. I don't think it would get as much attention as a well-known and respected blog. That is why I approached the Pride of Rodina. Now, if I would create my own blog that would probably not solve the issue because it is wouldnt be well known and respected. But it would give me the freedom to write whatever I want! Maybe without anyone ever reading it.

Which Infinity blogs are still active and well frequented?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation