1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What tilts you in game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Tom McTrouble, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

The term "Tilt" very likely comes from pinball but much more importantly has become widespread in usage because of its application in the game of Poker. It is applicable in any high-variance game, and essentially refers to an emotional tendency to alter one's decisions as a result of perceived bad or good fortune during play. A "Tilted" player is one who has undergone a series of lucky or unlucky events and makes incorrect decisions in light of recent events, without regard for solid, rational, judgement.

Because Infinity is also a high variance game (unlike Chess, for example) it does apply to infinity players. A series of enemy crits or armour saves can easily cause a player to lose hope and take unnecessary risks or to even concede in spirit, but never forget that tilt is also about the other side--having good luck and then disregarding one's decision in the game as a result. All too often, a player who takes an early lead might become overconfident, overlooking things that can squander an advantage, and end up loosing as a result.

The only thing that really bothers me about Tilt in infinity is the effect that it can have on another person's sportsmanship. If you're having a bad game because of the dice, the worst thing you can do is behave poorly in social terms, detracting from your opponent's enjoyment of the game as well, just because things didn't go your way.

Belgrim and Robock like this.
  2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

The worse part in my experience is when you luck is so bad it affects your opponents sportsmanship.

3. Vaulsc

Vaulsc Well-Known Member

I just said that :)

4. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

What I meant is when your bad luck is so bad your opponents starts take pity on you, or worse starts playing bad or insists on resetting the game.

Lohdroz, FatherKnowsBest and Wolf like this.
  5. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

I think infinity could use more passion when played. I enjoy a heated game where every die roll is a roller coaster of emotions between the two opponents. It's great getting invested and immersed in the game, as long as you're all friends afterward.

I think the game is a lot more enjoyable that way versus just lazily rolling dice and not caring about the outcome.

Danger Rose, Robock and Wolf like this.
  6. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

This is the worst feeling. In recent history I have lost several games because I went on auto-pilot after getting some good fortune or a big play.

I'm in this boat too, although luckily most of the people I play with also care about winning and we are all bros after for the most part.

7. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

"Bro, who cares, it's just a game"

- man stabbed over gambling debts

chromedog, Danger Rose and Belgrim like this.
  8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Unlikely, those suits are hot as hell. Unless you're saying you can keep it up while in a sauna?

I was Smokey Bear for a parade once. Holy hell, never again. I think I lost 12lbs of weight in sweat!

9. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Coolant suits aren't that hard to fabricate.

A mate has made a couple for some TK (501st) stormies. Consists of a coolant vest, pump and heat-exchange system via peltier diode - and a battery pack. (essentially a repurposed liquid cooling system for a pc. The coolant lines are the reservoir, the pump circulates it through the heatsink and peltier diode.). Works well enough for 5-6 hours (compared to not using a cooling suit at all).

Just as viable for a fur-suit as it is for hard-shell armour costumes.

#49 chromedog, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  10. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

And I just learned what a peltier diode is.

Never thought I would actually learn anything useful from a discussion on furries

Barrogh, Robock and chromedog like this.
  11. chromedog

I've been an electronics nerd longer than I've been a gamer (got my first soldering set in 1980, didn't start gaming until 1986).
    Those powered coolers you can put in your car to keep stuff cool OR warm (when you plug them into the electrics via the ciggy lighter socket) - yeah, Peltier diode is the reason.
    Wired up one way, they pump heat IN to keep stuff warm. Wired up the other, they pump heat AWAY to keep it cool. It's rare for a diode to work both ways (they're normally considered a "one way gate").

leigen_zero likes this.
  12. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Never replaced a CPU?

13. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

Actually I haven't, I tend to go so long between hardware upgrades (read: average of 10 years) that I end up building a whole new pc and just salvaging hard disks. (though I am aware of the process of swapping out a CPU).

Knowing how something works and using something are pretty different, like most people go their whole lives using a microwave oven without ever knowing how a magnetron works.

chromedog and xagroth like this.
  14. chromedog

Likewise. I tend to go 9-10 years between computers. By the time it needs "upgrading", the old hardware is obsolete anyway, so I usually put a new one together and also use the old HD as the secondary drive on the new one.

xagroth likes this.
  15. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

My computers just die on me. It could be the fact that my house is dusty as hell and I never clean the PCs. Usually it's the fan that fails first. (Yes, I know I'm a walking IT nightmare.)

DrunkCorsair, xagroth and chromedog like this.
  16. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

What fucks with me is when I'm unable to grind an effective aggressive assault to a halt. Like, when a Su-Jian is about to come roaring through your backline and I'm like "aw shit I'm so fucked" and I probably make mistakes as a result of that. But I know that I do that so I purposefully build lists and play in a way to prevent it.

Also when your opponent just cannot fail and ARM save is bad but when you simply cannot press a fucking button on an objective it's a nightmare oh my God just fucking PUSH the FUCKING BUTTON YOU MORON.

17. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Call me masochistic, but I love these moments. The moment I see my oponent place that order next to his Su Jian/Swiss Guard/Rasail/Any tag and I just go "Okay, time to weather the storm". It feels kinda cool. It's a bit of an underdog syndrome, I guess, the idea that winning out of a disadvantage position is somehow better.

I got into Infinity because of how cinematic the game feels, and sometimes I see myself taking less than optimal choices because the optimal choices are boring. I mean, if by the end of the game there isn't at least one play I can make a story about, then that game was probably not worth playing to begin with. At least that's how I see it.

Danger Rose likes this.
  18. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

I... tilt whenever I have a ninja.

Because my ninja hiring agency seems to go find a hobo from behind the local pan-donalds. Because these idiots take 4+ orders to push buttons, and if an enemy ever gets LoS, they die instantly to being shot at, at any range band, by anything.

I have never had a ninja kill anything. They get crit in any and all face to face rolls against people rolling 1 die.

19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but at least my hiring agency finds scary-competent Zanshi and Keisotsu HMG gunners. Sniper going after my (in-cover) HMG, I'm at -9 between range, cover and camo. Sniper: 10, 9, 2, no crits. Me: Crit! Sniper: :dizzy_face:

theradrussian likes this.
  20. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

My local PanO player decided to play Yu Jing ISS, and I have found that there is one unit that actually tilts me.

KWANG SHIS!!!! Holy shit, those M**f**kers don't die. And they run into you like zombies from 28 Days Later! And they have PH 12!!!! WTF!!!

/rant

Anyway, I'm blessed with my gaming group. We all laugh at everything that happens. Like everyone being so afraid of the Kriza Borak, that in Turn one, every one of us killed it before it could do anything.

Lohdroz likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation