1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What programs do Hacking Devices start with?

Discussion in 'Modiphius Entertainment' started by Breadsmith, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Breadsmith

Breadsmith New Member

My group is starting to get into the RPG. I'm playing a hacker. However, we're unsure what hacking programs a given device starts with. I originally thought that all the basic programs that a device could run were loaded in, with only the Upgrade programs being purchasable. But every hacking program has a restriction and cost. Finally, there's a list of sample Program templates for NPC"s.

Does anybody know what programs a PC start's with?

2. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Breadsmith Do you have the Core Infinity RPG book with you? On page 351 it shows each type of hacking device and the amount of programs that type of device starts out with. For example, a Killer Hacking Device comes with 2 Claw programs & 1 Intrusion Countermeasure plus the Cybermask program upgrade.
    On page 352 is a table that shows all the hacking programs you can choose from. It seems that you choose what programs your character starts out with. For example, a Killer Hacker can't start any other type of programs other than 2 Sword programs. Anything would have to be added/bought later on in the campaign or buy a new/different Hacking Device that can contain a program you want if your current one can't use it.

Therefore I would simply choose the programs you want based on what your starting Hacking Device allows. If you want to talk over your program selection with your fellow role-players & gamemaster then do so. If I was the gamemaster I wouldn't mind your choices at all as long as you followed the Device's storage confinements. Such as taking 2 Claw programs on a Normal Hacking Device when a NHD only allows you to take 1 Claw program at the beginning of the campaign. Though there might be a lore reason that the character has more hacking programs than what is normal for a Device's storage allows. It all depends on the situation & backstory of the created character in question.

What type of Hacking Device are you planning to start with? What is the backstory of your character? Perhaps that can help in deciding what you should choose program & device wise.

3. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I think you are miss-reading the chart:

"The entry for each hacking device lists its Device Ratings, which are the maximum program rating they can run in each type." Core pg 352

Devices don't come with Programs by default, you have to buy them separately ('though I've been assuming they have at least one of each level when my PCs capture an enemy one).

Golem2God likes this.
  4. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

I realize that now. Though I don't see any harm in choosing/picking the first batch of programs for free. Then again that's just my opinion. I apologize for getting it wrong.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

You also don't need programs for the basic functions. You can do most things (attack, detect, hide etc) without them.

E-Warden, Golem2God and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation