1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hemos actualizado nuestra Política de Privacidad acorde con la nueva RGPD. +Info // We've updated our Privacy Policy to comply with the GDPR. +Info
    Dismiss Notice

What if

Discussion in 'Rules' started by konuhageruke, Jan 15, 2020 at 8:18 AM.

1. konuhageruke

konuhageruke Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So yesterday I had a small dispute on a friendly game.
    My firirend was arguing, that with What If he can use any character tactic that is not in the tacktics deck. I was on the side that he can choose only from those cards that were not picked for the characters he currently plays with.
    I do not have the card with me, so I am not able to quote the words. What is the correct approach?

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  2. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

It reads:
    What we meant is that you only choose from the Tactics of one of your Team's Characters. You cannot choose from whoever you want. So is the name: "What if I had chosen that Tactic...?"

:wink:

3. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Huh. I'd honestly never considered that interpretation your friend selected. Unfortunately, it doesn't stand up to the wording.

What if only allows you to select an unchosen tactic for one of "your characters".

Obviously, Aristos you are using in any given match are "your characters".
    Likewise, any outside your line-up are clearly not your characters (for the purposes of the game).

I had thought there may be some ambiguity for characters not in the match but in your line-up, if you were very generous and loose with meaning, but even here it seems pretty clear-cut. Nowhere in the AGL document does it refer to Aristos in your line-up as "your characters" until they've actually been selected to play.

So, yeah.

4. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower
    Warcor

I can see an argument, in a tournament or league setting, that "My 8 are my Characters".

And then arguing from there that you could pull a Tactic from any of those, regardless of the 4 you have in the Hexadome.

But @-V- is clear above, so there's no further discussion.

inane.imp likes this.
  5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

This would actually be interesting as it would open up the tactics of banned characters.

6. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Warcor Aristeia

Despite the card not being as precise as it could be the intention of the card is pretty clear, if you ask me.

7. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

@rag1n I wouldn't be that sure in tournaments because of this ruling:

RESERVE ZONE Each Player will designate an area next to their Control Panel to place their miniatures, their Team Characters, and Initiative cards when they’re not playing.

SUBSTITUTIONS At the beginning of the Nanotherapy Step, during the Recovery Phase of each Round, the Players can exchange any number of Characters in Reserve Zone for Characters that are in the Infirmary. When a Character from the Reserve Zone replaces another in the Infirmary, the Miniatures, the Character card, and Initiative card of that Character needs to be exchanged with the Character they are replacing. The Initiative card of an Incoming Character is placed in the same position as the Outgoing Character. The incoming Characters will receive, therefore, the -2e State when going to the Bench during this step.

I have never seen somebody use this. However, it is quite powerful. And the Reserve Zone mentions Team Characters as well. So which characters are meant? Only the ones in the Hexadome or in the Reserve Zone as well?

#7 HarlequinOfDeath, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 2:46 PM
  8. Damiel

Damiel Domaru sexytorizado :3
    Warcor

Those two are only for Open tournaments using Final Boss (Semy 2.0) mod. They don't apply in any other situation...

:3

9. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

Oh, my mistake. In this case it is pretty clear how What if? works imo.

10. krotos

krotos Well-Known Member
    Warcor Aristeia

So I can use tactics from characters that are battling in Hexadome or from whole 8 team that I bring to tournament?

11. Damiel

Damiel Domaru sexytorizado :3
    Warcor

As the Wiki says:

So, only battling Aristoi

:3

(Edit: further reading, at Steup entry:

:3)

Croepoek likes this.