1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do warcors do?

Discussion in 'News' started by Thaddius, Feb 4, 2019.

1. RogueJello

RogueJello Well-Known Member

I remember a lot of back and forth, but honestly that's exactly what happens in the rules forums as well. Since none of the stuff in the FAQ had an official answer, there is little, if any real solution to things in dispute.

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yup, see Uber.

Which is why I think the judge was very wrong to dismiss the WotC Judge suit.

When WotC makes a schedule for their 'volunteer' judges that doesn't give them any ability to say 'no', that is an employee.

Hecaton and RogueJello like this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Yes, there has long been an issue with the way Corvus Belli manage their forums with only two moderators: @pyschoticStorm is an associate of the company, and Koni is an employee. Thus massively understaffed, they're inclined to a tacitly hands-off policy.

The chequered history of trying to manage with a more hands-on approach is evidenced by all kinds of debacles, including thread-locking any discussions of rules interpretations that upset the vocal element; Koni's removal of the recent Warcor FAQ thread, which now hinders honest dialogue in this thread; and ... <fearful pause> need I even mention The Morat Thread from the old forum?

This isn't intended as a criticism of the moderators themselves, but to point out that it's clearly very hard for them to manage in any other way than taking the attitude that forum posts are best left as is, where is.

The basic idea is that over time, the online community will itself develop an appropriate attitude to those people they themselves regard as whiny little bitches, hostile trolls, or inveterate flame-boyz respectively.

Which is probably fairly accurate, except that it leaves the forum overrun by endless new threads about the same complaint by the same people; plagued by hostile trolls roaming free in their herds; and terrorised by Molotov cocktail-throwing maniacs behaving like extras from Mad Max: Fury Road. :smile:

<sigh> Still, it's a great game; and we can presumably all agree about that at least?

#83 Wolf, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Balewolf likes this.
  4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the explanation for the term "the fanatic peat"?

:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  5. RogueJello

F'ck no! I hate this game, totally sucks, which is why I spend hours each week complaining about it on the forums. If it was a really good game you might have a point. :)

Honestly, I don't get people who seem miserable about it, and want to spread it around, seems like they would be better off personally doing something else. It's just a game, and spending time whining when you don't like it is just throwing more time and resources into something you hate.

Icchan, Wolf and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  6. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Yup.

Dragonstriker, Wolf and RogueJello like this.
  7. FatherKnowsBest

I don't remember ever seeing one or agreeing to one. More that we had to keep logging enough "official events" to retain membership.

8. Section9

I'm trying to prevent the game I loved from becoming the game I hate. And that's why I am very vocal about some things.

9. RogueJello

Yeah, but that's different.

10. Section9

Still seems to have gotten me tarred with the 'hater' brush

jimbo slice likes this.
  11. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

The difference is that these guys said they would take input, then slyly ignored it. There wasn't any back and forth on individual rules issues, just on the issue of them assuming rules authority themselves.
    Some of the answers were blatant misreadings of the rules or were house rules that claimed they weren't. Or attempts at rebalancing. There was plenty to dispute.

Dragonstriker and Abrilete like this.
  12. Hecaton

@Wolf considering you're one of the prime beneficiaries of the mod teams' interventions it's weird to complain they're too hands-off.

13. Hecaton

It's because we like it that we want its flaws acknowledged and worked on. Uncritical support I won't give (even if some people think that's my 'place.')

Dragonstriker and Pierzasty like this.
  14. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

it was WarCor Chris who wore you like a hat, not sure he has a forum handle (as it'll be the same) but credit where it's due.

Also the warcor sub forum is much the same, just with more direct badgering of Koni for spoilers in the hope that he lets his guard down from the fatigue of constant tags attempting to get him to divulge information, much like a pack of hyenas relentlessly persuing a wounded buffalo.

15. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that the WarCor program mostly only tends to be discussed when people have something to whinge about in terms of what WarCors are doing. So you get a negative perception.

In reality, in my experience, WarCors are an integral part of gaming groups and provide an excellent network for pushing organised play. That's more on them than CB: they're mostly guys who's be doing it anyway, but the extra support is obviously nice. Also there is probably a perception of WarCors being a secret cabal of sorts, which I imagine is just not true at all.

16. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

Artists impression*
    upload_2019-2-20_17-0-20.png
    I think this is about as accurate description of the warcor sub forum as I can muster

*Any likenesses to actual forum avatars are entirely coincidental

Deltervees, barakiel, POP and 10 others like this.
  17. FatherKnowsBest

And how long is the list of unanswered questions now? It was quite long from my days with no end in sight.

18. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

Nathelis is truly too pure for this world.

19. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Where are you starting from? :upside_down_face:
    I’m pretty sure we could get a list of unresolved 2nd edition rules questions to rival anything that people can come up with for N3. Because that’s how it works:
    Step 1. Produce a set of rules.
    Step 2. Release those rules, and a million monkeys will show you everything that’s wrong with it, over the coarse of the next five years.

If you’re involved in step one, it’s worse because you get to find out everything that you thought was fine isn’t. :face_with_head_bandage:

At the moment, we have CB’s FAQ timeline statement, and Bostria’s admission in the Colder than Carbonite Q&A session concerning the inevitable rules cleanup.

Hell, this is still the edition where we had N3, the provisional transition FAQ, and then HSN3.

20. gamma ray

gamma ray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

In my defence: I merely stated Shasvasti or riot.

(I've saved that picture, bloody great!)

ev0k and Wolf like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation