1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wet pallete question

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Wombat85, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

When I use the wet pallet the medium disappears in about 45 minutes, leaving a pigment smear which stays good for days. Is this normal? how do people 're-hydrate' the pigment so it gets good flow characteristics?

Thanks

2. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

Some paints don't re-hydrate well (any of my whites are done after the first day). Make sure you've got the sponge/paper towel fully saturated. Sometimes you need to add more water to it throughout the painting session (with the dry winter air right now, I have to add more about every time I refill my drinking water). Also, some papers aren't all that great and won't get the moisture up to your paint. I have a P3 painting pallet and ended up trashing half the papers it came with as baking paper is much better.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

On my experience with a wet pallete (I had to start using one after moving to Madrid... that 50% or so less humidity really shows up XD) is:
    • Grab a cheap piece of tupperware
    • Grab a cheap wipe, cut it to the size of the base of the tupperware. I use two layers of the cheapest (it's like 1 euro per roll).
    • Grab some vegetal paper (it's used for oven cooking, kinda like rough semitransparent paper you put under what you wanna cook so it won't stick to the mold) and cut it to the same size of the wipe.
    • Pour water on the wipe, so it is throroughly wet.
    • Place the vegetal paper
    • Place the lid when you finish!
    The type of paint is quite important however. None of the metallics I use react well with a wet pallete, and the rest of the colors are Vallejo. Try to get the good amount of liquid, since too much will decant the pigments and leave stained water, and too little will leave a dessicated smudge. Also, mix before using the stored color.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  4. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

All of the above and specially emphasis on the metal paint, I d'ont know how some people can use them with water. I have a lot of problem myself so in the end I use medium for those kind of paint.
    My own wet palette is made of piece of foam from an infinity box, random baking paper (still I ensure that it is a white one not a yellow one to avoid false color render) in a plastic box. If I keep it in the fridge between session it will last even longer.

Balewolf likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation