1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westphalian Sovereignty and Infinity

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Hecaton, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

Exactly. That antagonism seems to rhyme with the sentiments of Brexit, but I wonder if the wider feelings of national identity still exist, with support for the armed forces, or international sport?

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  2. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

They do, but often in a kind of schizophrenic and cognitively dissonant manner.

Fire@Will and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  3. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

Yeah. I guess this is a theme which you can draw out in science fiction, when looking at people defining themselves against some non-human other, and trying to create some whole-human-race unity. Such as it might, or might not exist.

From a sci-fi perspective, it's possibly taken for granted that the people of Earth would willingly form a united Federation, without there being any inherant contradictions for individuals' own interest. That CB have tried to show this contradiction in their setting is not necessarily a failure, or plot inconsistency. The intepretation of the reader is not necessarily what the author intends, but does that invalidate the response?

Solar and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  4. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

They haven't really shown a contradiction. Yu Jing does not express regret that it signed the Concilium Convention; instead, it seems to agree with O-12 and PanO that yes, it is evil and deserves to have land taken from it.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  5. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Where did YJ say that?

6. Hecaton

I mean, in Uprising Yu Jing doesn't call what PanO and O-12 do anything like a ciolation of its sovereignty, it gets a bit salty but there's no questioning of the radical actions that were taken.

7. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

You're hilarious. :beers:

You're complaining that the background material in the war-game doesn't mention exhaustively all of the in-setting "real world" objections to what happened. Especially when the writing has so far only done that sort of thing in limited vignettes.

I can't wait for the follow up "Why does O-12 refuse to acknowledge the Combined Army's claims of Imminent Domain on Paradiso?" and "Why have the Shasvastii not received reparations for the destruction of their incubation caches?"

8. Hecaton

It's pretty important in defining the setting. The fact that you don't see it as necessary... I guess means you haven't read much of the setting material? This thread came about because I read all the O-12 info from the N4 core book.

Are you arguing that Yu Jing is equivalently alien to the Combined Army, and that diplomacy is more or less impossible? Or are you just bleating nonsense?

9. Hecaton

Man, and I just re-read the StarCo fluff from Uprising, and it talks about how the Nomads use StarCo because moving actual troops onto other nations' soil would be an act of war. The irony.

10. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

*eminent domain***
    ** I’m certain that there are parties pushing for such reparations
    *** eminent domain is the power of a state, provincial, or national government to take private property for public use. The core of the issues with O-12 as presented is that O-12 is not a government per se, but a supranational treaty organisation.****
    **** I know it was a joke, but it’s a joke question with a serious in-setting answer.

#50 Dragonstriker, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  11. Hecaton

O-12 is a de facto supranational government, though. It does things on its own without any input from its supposed member countries, and has its own citizens who are selected on a basis that comes off like eugenics.

12. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Reparations would require the conflict to be settled or a partial agreement such as part of a cease fire to be in effect. With the EI not in discussions beyond "surrender and/or die" and with Shasvasti really not wanting the EI to find out about the cache (if I understand it correctly), the only way for reparations for that cache' destruction to be called into effect would be if the Shasvasti full on betray EI

13. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

Agreed, but in the case in point the distinction between de jure and de facto is significant.

In the HS as presented, national self determination is not extant; everything is subject to the dictates of O-12, which is unrestrained and unaccountable.
    At least the EI is honest about what is required from vassal civilisations.

#freetheHumanSphere
    #overthrowO-12
    #O-12hostishumanisgeneris

#53 Dragonstriker, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation