1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W tee Eff?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by ShaeKonnit, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Meanwhile, in Spanish Law Enforcement news...
    Two notes of irony: 1 - He rejoined them, and you're not meant to be a Civil Guard with a criminal record. 2 - The Civil Guard is apparently nicknamed "Reputable".

xagroth and chromedog like this.
  2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I don't see the problem there... Maybe i'm biased for the political situation in here... XD

3. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

Personal politics aside (Big proponent of ending prohibition) if having a criminal record would bar someone from being a guardia civil then he certainly shouldn't have been allowed back

xagroth likes this.
  4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Regardless of prohibition rules, when you're talking about a law enforcement officer, you don't get to choose to break laws!

Criminally prosecute him for having the 817 kilos of hash! (It's Spain, pretty sure Multiple Jeopardy rules like in the US don't apply)

Brother Smoke and xagroth like this.
  5. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Aspect Graviton, Section9 and Xeurian like this.
  6. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Third note of irony: the strange part is that he was trafficking with drugs *while on leave*.

The boys in green usually do their drug trafficking while on uniform.

I-i-i-i mean isolated cases. Totes isolated unrelated cases. Nothing to see here. They would never engage in ilegal activities ever, they have the cleanest criminal record of all the States Security Forces.

The civil guard would be a joke if they weren't, you know, an armed police force with a military structure and a history of being violent assholes.

xagroth and Del S like this.
  7. Brother Smoke

Growing up in Cuba it was interesting to note that whenever there were complaints of corruption or abuse in the history books about colonial times it was never the tercios or the regular police, always the guardia civil.

Hell, even after colonial times. Two of my great uncles were killed by a guardia civil because they had a disagreement over who had won a controversia (kinda like a Cuban country rap battle)

Pierzasty likes this.
  8. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Fixed for historical reasons... "A buenas horas mangas verdes" (good timing, you green sleeves!) is an expression create because the Guardia Civil has always had a green uniform and used to get late to... duty.
    As in reaching the place where the robberies had taken place long after the bandoleros had left XD

9. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Or perhaps they were there from the very start of the robbery and came back after swapping uniforms! :open_mouth:

xagroth and Brother Smoke like this.
  10. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Organised crime involving law enforcement is fascinating.

Especially when you look at stuff like the post-soviet satellite states. The whole thing where the Bulgarian smuggling gangs were all 100% controlled by the secret police and then when the wall came down a lot of these secret police guys just... got other law enforcement jobs while controlling these groups smuggling vast amounts of drugs, arms and people into Europe. It's just mad!

11. Hansolo

Hansolo Well-Known Member

There's a great old Polish movie about this kind of stuff:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105185/

Basically a story how ex-secret police officers had to find their place in new, "democratic" country. And in Poland it's almost a cult classic.

Solar and Pierzasty like this.
  12. ShaeKonnit

ShaeKonnit Well-Known Member

Today we've been hit by the side-effects from the big hurricane.
    I was walking up the street to the bank. There was a bit of a breeze but that was it.
    Suddenly the windspeed triples and the rain was like a colossal bucket of water being emptied over the town. Across the street from me, as I walked, roof tiles were flying down to the pavement.

So, maybe houses weren't being lifted up and sent off to Oz, but it's certainly not something I'm used to.

13. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

I knew what it was before I clicked the link.

Also, is there any ex-Soviet-satellite country without a mass corruption problem related to former secret police/intelligence services? If so, let me know, I'd love to see how they got around it.

Brother Smoke likes this.
  14. Brother Smoke

That is a physical impossibility. Communism, much like the ghost pepper, breaks things on the way in AND on the way out.

Dragonstriker and Vakarian like this.
  15. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Russia, because they aren't "former", just rebranded:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

16. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Still not a satellite :P

17. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Still not without corruption and cronyism, also.

18. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Perhaps not, but its half as big as the moon, so if it was a satellite it'd be the second biggest!

19. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

and most of it's landmass comprises of cold and inhospitable terrain

20. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

The Baltic states are doing pretty well in that regard I think, Estonia was 22nd in the world for corruption in 2016, and Estonia wasn't that bad either

(Russia was 131 on the list fyi)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation