1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W tee Eff?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by ShaeKonnit, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Skyhusky

Skyhusky Well-Known Member

Huh. Never have seen that facebook group before. Thanks!

tdc likes this.
  2. ShaeKonnit

ShaeKonnit Well-Known Member

Well, we've had some developments on that property scam I mentioned on the old forum.
    For those who may have missed it, the initial story was that it looked as if someone was building a car showroom not far from where I work, down the Clyde valley. It's an area of natural beauty and conservation, so the placement of the shell of a used car lot was absolutely hideous.
    What was actually going on, was that a local businessman/crook bought the land and wanted to build apartments but both the locals complained and the local council disapproved - the area could only be used for livestock.
    Turns out there was a loophole which meant so long as he got livestock he could put whatever storage buildings he liked on the land. His livestock of choice was geese, and the storage buildings just to happened to be meant for cars.
    Anyway, this whole scheme was to make the idea of apartments seem much more palatable by comparison.

Well...

As some of you may have heard, in the UK we had a very sudden set of snowstorms across the north of the country, including Scotland.
    As the snow melted, rapidly, over the past couple of days there has been a lot of flooding. This plot of land intended for apartments was absolutely waterlogged.
    I mean practically submerged. And it wasn't even because of the river bursting its banks; the land was so uneven and the drainage so poor, that the work he'd already done to set up the phony used car lot only made it so much worse.
    This morning, a bunch of photographers were there taking pictures. I expect these pictures shall be distributed far and wide - could be that his plans of semi-legal apartments has been scuppered. No-one would want to rent a property on land like this!

In other, more family-related news, my cousin's mad wife who insists on breastfeeding her son even when he's old enough to declare, "No, mummy! Please! No!" has encountered another problem - schooling.
    It's clear she'd prefer him to remain in an infantile state, depending on her entirely, so she really doesn't want to send him to school and has been looking into home-schooling. The prospect of him gaining any sort of independence, be it social or emotional, apparently worries her. The main stumbling block is that she is not qualified to teach in any way, shape or form.
    At this point it seems she regards the kid as her son - my cousin, the father's, involvement seems minimal. Possibly by her design.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised to hear if she'd be looking into surgically re-attaching the umbilical chord.

#22 ShaeKonnit, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Belgrim, chromedog, xagroth and 2 others like this.
  3. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

This is really sad. I hate to see people ruining their own kids.

Lothlanathorian and Belgrim like this.
  4. Thrrax

Thrrax New Member

Was looking at adding a little more ram to my pc, and the price hike made me Wtf, bought some for £45 in march 2016, the exact same ram now costs over £100, with prices still rising!
    This sort of supply and demand thing almost makes me want a communist planned economy.

xagroth likes this.
  5. sonicReducer

sonicReducer Well-Known Member

I have cousins (2 brothers) who are trying to get as far away from their mother as possible because she is a stress machine. They are currently in St Albins, one is moving to Luxembourg (I think) with his girlfriend's family, the other trying to get into Australia. Their little sister is too young to leave. The boys' father used to beat them. Her father cheated and pissed off. Poor kids

6. Balewolf

Why do you want a failed economy?

Kahlain, Belgrim and jherazob like this.
  7. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

If the rise in prices exceed the rise in salaries (% wise) then yeah, failed economy incoming XD

8. Balewolf

Please tell me about any of the successful communist economies.

There are plenty of places to get RAM. Find the cheapest one, or wait for prices to come down as they priced themselves out of the market. It's not like you need to eat it. Most communist economies struggle to supply even the basic foods and necessities.

Belgrim and jherazob like this.
  9. ShaeKonnit

And that shall be a topic for another thread, please!
    It's mad enough in here.

10. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Equating control of inflation to communism is the same thing as saying that capitalism is the holy grail and definite answer to finish all economic systems.
    Incidentally, an uncontrolled capitalism leads to monopolies, so please think about how many times a monopoly was good for anything/anyone but those getting the money from it.

If you want to have a go at it, you can read the posts in http://eclipsephase.com/hypercorps-are-they-just-evil where there is an interestingly deep conversation about different economic systems and (tangentially) how an increase in interpersonal communication capabilities can increase the size of functioning societies without the need for centralized governments.

Edit: @Balewolf stop chasing ghosts, dude. You picked the theme, you decided yourself I was saying way more than I was.
    As I said in this post previously to the edit, go to that link if you wanna talk about governments and societies. I have neither reason neither motivation to do so, much less with someone prone to put words in my mouth.

#30 xagroth, Jan 25, 2018
    Plex and chromedog like this.
  11. sonicReducer

sonicReducer Well-Known Member

I got an RX 580 from Amazon for £102.50 and sold my R9 280x for £120

Don't ask me how and it probably used up all my good fortune for the next 20 years

Belgrim and xagroth like this.
  12. Balewolf

"I pointed out that communist economies have always failed! That must mean I love huge corporations and the total uncontrolled free market! Lets go kill some indigenous people and plunder their resources while gaining mad profits off my poorly paid labor force. I'll just be in my corporation building doing corporation things."
    [​IMG]

I didn't equate control of inflation to communism. I responded to, "This sort of supply and demand thing almost makes me want a communist planned economy." I just pointed out that communist planned/controlled economies have all failed, for laughs. If you want to discuss it further, you can create a new thread or go to PMs, but failing to see what I was responding to and jumping to such conclusions doesn't bode well for great discussion, and I don't really have anymore to add.

#32 Balewolf, Jan 25, 2018
    Belgrim likes this.
  13. Thrrax

Thrrax New Member

I know communism doesn't work, that's why it was meant as a hyperbolic joke reaction, rather than true feelings.

chromedog likes this.
  14. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

I think they dont' respect your authority. Maybe you should force them to date your wife's sister. Or Autism Quest. Or be chauffered around by your father in law.

Those would all be very acceptable and painful punbishments, if you ask me.

But, then again, I have some problems with the nature and quality of the "discussion" on the validity of economic systems.

Also, I think the Tarrasque mutated a while ago and became the Intent Discussion. To be honest, I prefered the old one.

I also miss painting fascism, but that's another story.

Belgrim and Pierzasty like this.
  15. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

You're slipping @ShaeKonnit, the old thread was vigorously policed for suspected commie talk, but this is actual commie talk and you're letting it slide :wink:

Kahlain and Aldo like this.
  16. ShaeKonnit

Ain't letting shit slide!
    Get all this commie, pinko, vegetarian bullshit in another topic!

leigen_zero likes this.
  17. Durian Khaar

Durian Khaar It's clubbering time...
    Warcor

Wait let me just get my pitchfork out...

*rabblerabblerablle*

18. ShaeKonnit

On a lighter note, I recently saw a pic of a truly inspired cafe from one of my pals in Turkey .
    I can only imagine the brainstorming session that led to them selecting this for a theme...
    (I've used some incredible editing skills to protect the identity of the guy in the pic)

Attached Files:

#38 ShaeKonnit, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Fool and jherazob like this.
  19. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

He's back! In cafe form!

Fool and ShaeKonnit like this.
  20. Balewolf

Are the neighborhood cats disappearing? If so, we know why they picked that theme.

Thrrax, Fool, jherazob and 1 other person like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation