1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vird vs impersonators?

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Rocker, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

Yes, you have to discover the impersonator twice, and this could be terrible in the reactive turn, but don't forget when the impersonator revealed himself to shoot, if you have declared "wait" you return the fire with better odds than against any camo marker CO or TO. No a -3 or -6 for "Camo", only the -3 for cover, if exits and the -3 for surprise (only the first time until the impersonator go again into the "impersonator state", later no negative mods). Reallity is less chances to be discover than any other "marker" troups, but less chances to make real damage or more chances to be put down in the ground.

A TO could choose shoot a Target and not confront any other troups left the -6 modificator to the enemy CD Attack do the job and not be impacted, if a impersonator do this probably he will end impacted and dead. Think about this.

And this are some of the reasons why I say impersonators give us "more fear" than a "TO", but the fear don't make in game the impersonator more dangerous, only "in our heads". If any of my troups have to be shooted I will preffer always receive the shoot from an impersonator than a Camo (CO or TO).

I say again the impersonator has a really strong psychological component.

Best regards

volgo likes this.
  2. Lieutenant

Lieutenant PanOceanic Dabbler

I like this comment, very good points. I’m inclined to agree that TO is generally a much bigger threat than an Imp. This mostly applies to TO and Imp shooters. However, Imps are often times very good at CC and the Impersonation ability requiring the double discover makes it very possible for them to get in. And when armed with monofilament, this can be a very real threat to any unit.

VIRD’s natural defense again Imps (especially CC Imps, because a good deployment + the extraordinary shooting capabilities of Varuna greatly reduce the threat posed by any shooting Imps) is that it recruits mostly inexpensive line infantry. So if you deploy correctly, the best that CC Imps can do is successfully approach, take a swing at one of your units (probably kill it), and then get shot down by some of the greatest shooters PanO has at its disposal. So they kill a 20-28 point option, you kill one of their 30-35 point options. And they would have had to spend orders to do it. This only works if you keep your more expensive troops like Patsy safe and out of harms way during Deployment.

Smoke makes Imps much more dangerous. Generally, you want to hold back your MSV Kamau to ensure the best sniping advantage, but if you see your opponent drop an Imp, you may consider lining him up to defend vs the Imps smoke, perhaps even switching him to a fireteam other than the one he was planned for. (You can create your fireteams at anytime during the deployment phase.) At any right, setting up your deployment correctly will all but ensure that the best your opponent can do is snub a single unit before getting ganked.

The abundance of Camouflage also helps Veruna out in a large way, as many of your units won’t even be threatened at all by Imp markers.

3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Works even better when your LT is lurking under a camo marker.

While the resident Hassassin is not entirely correct, the basic Impersonation defense relies on making a second kill deadly or otherwise impossible for the Impersonator.

It is just about impossible to prevent an impersonator from getting that first kill, so you should be trying to make your 'obvious Impersonation target' not be your LT as the foundation-level plan. Even better if that 'obvious Impersonation target' is a cheapish holoecho that only looked like it was critical to your plan or otherwise an expensive model, though that doesn't apply to Varuna (no Holoprojectors to shenanigan with, sadly).

Wyrmnax likes this.
  4. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

Absolutely!!

I'am really disagree. If the target places in your Deployment Zone, then the impersonator has to risk himself to make a "roll" to infiltrate, so it isn't sure he can get there, and if he don't make the roll he has to expend orders to move to the target, them it could be revealed if in the way are troups before the target, making the expediture or orders a true waste of.

Varuna has the LT option under a Camo marker, and others Camos and Fireteams with, at least, burst +1. And MVL2. Nothing to worry about XD I think impersonators have a hard way in order to put down targets against Varuna.

oldGregg likes this.
  5. Lieutenant

All this talk is making me think that Imps (especially vs. armies with many inexpensive units) are more useful at influencing your movement and deployment than actually performing any sort of assassination. It almost seems that the role they play is one that forces you to be careful who you separate from the rest of your army, as being separated makes any single unit highly vulnerable. This seems very strong, as it’s rather order intensive to handle an Impersonator successfully in the active turn.

Urobros likes this.
  6. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

Well, impersonator is *THE* deployment check in Infinity.

If you deploy wrong against one, it will wreak havok in your army. If you deploy correctly, it will still take down a target, maybe two, but it will be limited to that.

The biggest problem on handling a impersonator properly is that it can effectively move 16" before you can do anything against it, assuming you pass both discover rolls. That means that it *will* get to its target.

7. Lieutenant

If two units pass a discover versus an Impersonation marker does it get completely revealed or just go to Imp 2?

8. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

Imp2.

You need to succed against Imp1 to get it to Imp2. then again against Imp2 to get it out of the state.

So a impersonator in Imp1 can do a mov-mov with no fear that it will not be in a marker state at the end. Then, if he was discovered, he can again do a mov-mov, but this time he might be out of a marker state at the end. Then he can do move-shoot ( or cc attack ). Really, a impersonator that starts at imp1 can reach anything out to 20" out of his position with pretty much nothing able to prevent him from getting there, as even mines will only explode if he is out of his marker state.

When people say that preparing against a impersonator is preventing him to make a 2nd kill, thats what they are talking about. You pretty much can't prevent him from attempting that first trade.

9. Lieutenant

Wow, crazy. Thanks for the response

10. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

This is pretty accurate.

I use my impersonators largely to influence decision making and exert “soft power” throughout the opening of a match. This works because they also have the raw power necessary to back up the threat.

I look at it this way; if any of the following occur, my impersonator did their job:

> Eliminate high priority threat
    > Eliminate Lt.
    > Eliminate ~ 30 points of enemy units
    > Hamstring Primary order pool
    > Force deployment error
    - opponent too conservative, needing excess orders to leave DZ
    - opponent too focused on IMP, leaving pieces vulnerable to long range ARO
    > Force first turn order expenditure to pursue IMP (2-5 orders min, depending on opponent order count ~ 20% of opponent’s order pool being wasted on my IMP is ideal)
    > Force second turn + order expenditure (Same as above, but reduced order pools will start to matter more - even ~ 10% order waste can be crucial).
    > Score or deny any Objective Points with IMP

I usually look to spend no more than 2-3 orders on my IMP each round, with less being another win, so long as any of the above are being met. A major caveat here relies on opponent error; I will spend more orders to capitalize on any errors made that allow me to achieve more than one of my above goals.

#30 oldGregg, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Urobros, Wyrmnax, Stiopa and 3 others like this.
  11. Lieutenant

Great post to keep in mind, thank you.

oldGregg likes this.
  12. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Ahh, I'm so looking forward to picking my Shasvasti up again.

Urobros, oldGregg and Barrogh like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation