1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vanilla or OSS against Varuna

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by yoink101, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

Yes making your sniper a easy target for your opponents anti aro units is a mistake. However if your ARO unit is doing a good job they will have to deal with it sooner or later anyway.

2. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

I'm totally fine with losing a Kamau to a Dakini Core that moved upfield. This will make it easy to kill the entire Dakini Link fairly efficiently.
    Really nice trade imho.

Andre82 likes this.
  3. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

also the kamau have 1/2 chance to be revive next turn so gogo ^^
    Varuna always win \o/ Ad Majorem Varunae Gloriam \o/

4. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Provided he's still alive by then :)

5. Spinnaker

Spinnaker Vanguard Officer

"I put asissted fire on a dakini" is hardly ever going to be a waste of orders as you're almost always doing it anyway, and the Kamau is only killing that sacrificial Dakini 30% of the time thanks to ghost remote presence (and even if he does, the main job of a core link in most of my lists is "kill the long range ARO pieces" - once that Kamau is gona that 5 man bonus is not important).

Sure, 4 orders is 4 orders, but you're most likely running a Shukra in the same group so you'll still have 6 orders to spend even if your opponent used command tokens to strip your pool - that's 6 orders that can go into nagas running around the midfield scoring objectives, or into rezzing that downed dakini with an engineer and pusing the team forward into a position where they can assert board control using a multi sniper.

And, as Barakiel said, if you force the VIRD player to deploy his team conservatively then you've already gotten value out of that team. It's likely you were already going to be taking a Dakini team, so the only real extra profile you need is the Danavas who is useful in other cases as well.

6. Autil0n

Autil0n New Member

I'm pretty new to Aleph and Infinity in general, so I was wondering if someone could help me out. Why can't the Kamau delay his ARO to shoot against the Dakini HMG inside of the White Noise?

7. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

The Delay from SSL1 is only available inside your ZoC. SSL2 does not upgrade it

8. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Because the White Noise and 6th Sense rules don't allow it.

"Hold" is an option that's specifically available vs Marker State units, such as Camouflage. It isn't an ARO that can be declared any time, but only in certain circumstances. In this case, the White Noise interaction has no rules that allow you to Hold.

Autil0n likes this.
  9. Autil0n

Autil0n New Member

Ahh I see. I reread the ARO rules, and you're absolutely right. Thank you very much for your help.

Nenyx and barakiel like this.
  10. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

There is also a general rule to ARO: you must ARO when given the chance (holding vs a camo IS an ARO choice), or lose all ARO for the turn.
    For example, you have a white noise area, a lone active miniature, and a MSV-2 defensive miniature who is more than 20 cm from the area (so that zone of control doesnt trigger). If the active miniature use a first action: move inside the white noise, the defensive trooper cannot see it. He cannot ARO. If the active trooper then use a second action that allows an ARO (like moving outside the white noise, or shooting his opponent), the reactive player can ARO, because he didnt lost his capacity to ARO since he couldnt do it before.
    If the first action was moving outside the white noise area, the opposing trooper could ARO - and he HAD to ARO now or lose all chance. Of course versus a lone active trooper the choice is obvious, he would ARO.

Now with the arjuna, the case is a bit tricky, because there are 2 or 3 miniatures activating with the very same order. First action, the arjuna move/stay in the white noise, so the defender cannot target her since he has no sight on her (my first example). BUT, the kyranbot move outside (second example), so the defender can ARO the kyranbot.
    In that case, the defender can ARO on the first action. He MUST ARO or he loses all rights to ARO during the turn. Of course, he would prefer to ARO the arjuna rather than the kyranbot, but he has no choice, he either ARO the kyranbot or have no ARO at all.

11. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

It didn't raise much reaction but I think that's the most efficient answer.

Drakios with 2 bots has all that's necessary to bring down any ARO from Varuna (plus you can always keep one bot 5/10 cm in front of drakios to force your opponent to ARO on the bot and not on Drakios)

Once Drakios bots killed the Kamau, a cybermasked Scylla is an excelent second wave of attack to kill the croc men/zulu cobra/Patsy harris...

Nenyx likes this.
  12. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Except that Drakios is not available in OSS :) But yes, Drakios is a pretty powerful first turn killer.

But Drakios and Scylla in the same list ? You have no friends, don't you ? :p

13. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Remember that both Drakios and his bots have Albedo, so you can't force the trick.

The biggest offender at this time is:

Ramah Taskforce
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]5
    KHAWARIJ (Fatality L1, Multispectral Visor L2) Mk12 / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 36)
    NAMURR (Fireteam: Duo) Rifle + Light Shotgun, E/Marat, D-Charges / Heavy Pistol, E/M CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 38)
    GHULAM (NCO) Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher (Normal and Smoke Ammo.) / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 16)
    GHULAM Doctor Plus (MediKit) Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 16)
    NAFFATÛN Rifle + Light Flamethrower, Grenades / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)

1.5 SWC | 118 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Use 1 order (for example, the Lt one...) to place Smoke. Use a second order to expose the Namurr against a single enemy ARO, and if the enemy shoots her, no problem: NWI + Total Inmunnity means you don't care... then shoot with the MSV2 Khawarijj unopposed against the enemy trooper. Move and heal the Namurr, repeat as needed...

Nenyx likes this.
  14. Arkhos94

The initial question was "Vanilla or OSS" so my answer is Vanilla (with Drakios, and Achilles to finish the job once the VMS are gone)

What trick ? I make the bot move first to force ARO from hidden TO then when I'm in range of the Kamau MSR, I hit him with 2 flammer and a red fury. Then the Kamau die and I start munching order with the trio.

MSV based ARO is a gift to drakios

A quick list building on frontline vs Varuna :
    ALEPH
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]10
    ACHILLES Lieutenant Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, EXP CCW. (2.5 | 75)
    ZAYIN Rebot HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
    DRAKIOS Red Fury + Light Flamethrower + 2 Devabots Kydoimos / Pistol,Shock CC Weapon. (1 | 45)
    [​IMG] DEVABOT KYDOIMOS Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (6)
    [​IMG] DEVABOT KYDOIMOS Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (6)
    SCYLLA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device UPGRADE: Maestro) Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser + 2 Devabots Charybdis / Pistol, E/M CC Weapon. (0.5 | 34)
    [​IMG] DEVABOT CHARYBDIS Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (7)
    [​IMG] DEVABOT CHARYBDIS Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (7)
    PROXY Mk.2 Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)
    PROXY Mk.5 (Forward Observer) 2 Submachine Guns, Nanopulser, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    PROXY Mk.1 Engineer Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    NAGA (Minelayer) Boarding Shotgun, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    SHUKRA (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 25)
    LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    PROBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Drakios on first attacker to remove MSV and kill some order turn 1 then let's Achilles kill (with Scylla as a back up).

#34 Arkhos94, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  15. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

The trick of make a synchronized/servant/whatevs (even a coordinated...) to peek so the enemy MSV has to dodge all or shoot against the peeking dude, then shoot from inside the White Noise zone.

For example, an Arjuna from inside the White Noise moving one bot outside, then shooting... or a coordinated of a Dakini with a Proxy and 2 other guys, with only the dakini being "seen" by the enemy MSV...

Arkhos94 likes this.
  16. Arkhos94

I prefer buring the Kamau MSR + 2 or 3 other fireteam member (relatively easy to do with 2 bot with 15 move value) while drakios shoot the MSR

The varuna player now have the choice between dodging with everyone (likely 1 dead + MSR dead) or everyone shoot and he loose most of his fireteam

#36 Arkhos94, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    xagroth likes this.
  17. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

That's why people should not use single ARO pieces, but some complementary ones! XD

Arkhos94 likes this.
  18. Arkhos94

Vanilla answer to non MSV ARO piece is BS15 ODD spitfire (AKA Achilles). Usually do fine with all of them who are not a TAG (for them, there is CC)

xagroth likes this.
  19. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Even TAGs are not safe, especially if Jerkchilles can catch them out of cover, spitfire is decent on medium TAG.

20. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I believe the purpose of using Drakios Bot in the fore wasn't to force AROs from the Kamau, but from other potential AROs

Arkhos94 and xagroth like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation