1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Units Prone on the roof - visibility

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Stiopa, Dec 19, 2018.

1. mipevo6

mipevo6 Active Member

I would think of this situation cinematicly ...
    1. Sniper is scanning the street below laying prone so almost impossible to see / target as he/she is keeping out of sight.
    2. A target enters the field of view
    3. The sniper leans up to take aim and a shot at the target
    4. The target spots a glint of light off the scope, or senses/observes the movement of the gun barrel
    5. The target dodges, takes a snap shot at the sniper...
    This brings into play the mutual observation thing.

Total newbie so just speculating...

E-Warden likes this.
  2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

@mipevo6 that's all well and good but I'd avoid trying to use fluff like that to interpret the rules.

3. WarHound

WarHound Well-Known Member

I, however, find that fluff helps make sense of rules interactions, and since the game is about having fun with your opponent and enjoying the game I applaud the use of narrative.

You *do* want to have fun don't you Hecaton? Or are you just here to argue minutiae?

mipevo6 and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  4. Hecaton

Trying to argue about whose fluff interpretation is correct will create even more vague and subjective arguments and lead to *less* fun. A clearly delineated ruleset is a good foundation for fun.

Daniel Darko and BLOODGOD like this.
  5. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I mentioned this.

Having had rules conversations in person with Hecaton, he is not the asshole that he frequently comes across here on the forums. His purpose is to create grater clarity with the rules so that the play is cleaner no matter what group you play with. It helps a bit if you read his posts from that point of view.

Mahtamori, E-Warden and inane.imp like this.
  6. Regnator

Regnator Well-Known Member

I agree with hecaton, rules shouldn't try to reflect reality or cinematography so much as providing an efficient framework for interaction.

Envoyé de mon LG-H815 en utilisant Tapatalk

7. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Not to add more fuel onto this fire but it's way easier to "shoot someone in the back from the front" when you are prone on a roof. You can practically do it at any distance (if the Reactive piece's facing allows it).

EDIT: Wrong about at any distance, but point stands. I need to stop posting before I double check excel sheets.

#67 Tom McTrouble, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Save for that cinematic feel explicitly being one of the goals of Corvus Belli in the game, and one of the drivers for the way it's constructed.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  9. Hecaton

"that cinematic feel" doesn't have anything to do with shoddily written rules. If one's trying to get to a "cinematic feel," one should write rules that drive to that point.

But then again, we've established previously that you'll disagree with me just to disagree with me, even when you know I'm in the right, so I have no idea if CB ever said anything like this at any point.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation