1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying something new

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by GentlemanFin, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

jherazob and GentlemanFin like this.
  2. GentlemanFin

GentlemanFin Well-Known Member

P_20181015_212357_vHDR_Auto-3492x1965.jpg i ran into a bit of a problem when i was working on the next part of the building with the floor. I could not do the same as the last building because the floor was constructed differently. I have tried to use photoshop and print it out/ cut it in shape. If this is the way im going i am using a quality printer and maybe laminating it. But before i use any more time on this i would like to know what you guys think?

timberfox, unclesrouce and geo67 like this.
  3. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

I can tell you what not to do, don't try cutting out and gluing down individual hexagon tiles. That ways lies madness. ( Someday I need to start a picture thread of the wrong way to do scenery. )

Remember there are two ways to do tile floors in the real world. Professionally measure and cut. Or like most contractors, eyball it, cut, and fill with grout. I think the second approach would look fine for your buildings. I think you could just print your pattern, and then use a thin brush and opaque whitish paint to paint the grout lines near the walls. In other words just eyeball it, and if it looks off, it just looks like the building was built by shoddy contractors.

Also remember there are two types of graffiti, the professional and awesome looking stuff, and the other 80% crappy looking names and initials. The second type should be easy to do.

4. GentlemanFin

I dont know if the picture is showing the print right. I could take a picture of the print when its not in the building. I made a rough guide by cutting pieses and tapeing them down and after that just tracing the pattern on a generic concrete texture with some shadows and detail added. I didnt want it to be too detailed when the prior floor was painted.

5. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Sorry I guess I didn't look close enough at the picture, I was focusing on the previous page. Actually I think that floor looks really good. I am not sure if I would even laminate it. Even if it gets scuffed or stained, that is just extra free weathering.

6. GentlemanFin

Okay :) thought the reference to hexagons was about the printed floor :) But if i am not laminating it i was thinking about giving it a coating with a mixture of water and white glue? Just to give it some hardness..

7. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Not a bad idea to give it some extra hardness, depends on your needs. I have some scenery made with the cheapest of cheap foamcore that sees the table about once a month ( I play way too seldom, and have way too much scenery ) It has taken some dings, dirt and impressions, but still looks pretty good and is holding up just fine, even for being a couple years old. Will it last another five years? Maybe, maybe not, but I will have new stuff built by then!

8. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Use varnish, some are really tough, it should go fine. You can use it as glue too. You can even do multiple passes, first gloss (to avoid whitening issues) then final matte as needed, leaving spills, blood, etc glossy.

9. GentlemanFin

It is a lot faster to paint now i know what i want with it :) P_20181019_212456_vHDR_Auto-3492x1965_crop_514x460.jpg P_20181019_212412_vHDR_Auto-3492x1965.jpg

10. sacramentofcarnage

sacramentofcarnage Well-Known Member

Impressive work and that paint job is looking cool.

GentlemanFin likes this.
  11. GentlemanFin

P_20181019_213213_vHDR_Auto-3492x1965.jpg Thanks. Im not done painting yet and still have to work on the interior, but it is coming together :)

I know its a bit dark, but the printed floor looks good too!

timberfox, Usashi, Section9 and 6 others like this.
  12. geo67

geo67 Well-Known Member

How did you weather that? I need to weather my stuff. Also is that a wash in the details?

GentlemanFin likes this.
  13. GentlemanFin

It is a wash. Just used a small brush and patience :) i used some foam and just tried different greys and browns. Then i brushed the edges and dabbed it around. I did paint some detail on the frist building, but it wasnt nessesary so didnt do it on the next one.

geo67 and jherazob like this.
  14. GentlemanFin

I was made aware of this little trick. It is just a cheap box, but I would never have thought of this on my own :)

Still working on the other project, but i like to try new things.
    P_20181117_210801_vHDR_Auto-3492x1965.jpg P_20181117_210631_vHDR_Auto-3492x1965.jpg P_20181117_210533_vHDR_Auto-3492x1965.jpg

timberfox, Oni, andre61 and 7 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation