1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tournament Mods

Discussion in 'Rules' started by tox, Mar 19, 2018.

1. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Are they 1+ or 0+?
    Can we run a Tournament without any Mod?

2. Azrael

Azrael Virtual HexaDome Builder

Yes, you can.

3. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Depends on the type of tournament. The open tournament never mentions mods, while the standard league and standard tournament say you can choose more than 1 mod, implying that you need to choose at least 1.

I could be entirely wrong though, it just seems like that how it's worded and that's what me and my friends concluded after some back and forth.

4. PirateCaptain

PirateCaptain Member

new to this game, and a friend and I are working on getting our local community going, but I would agree that for standard events 1 seems to be required. From what we can tell, the Zlavin Mod appears to be the best default.

Reasons being:
    1. the start playing guide ends with a "draft" system for new players. If 2 new players split an individual box they will end up drafting quite a bit, and it is the logical step to include that aspect in tournament play.
    2. It adds an important tactical dimension to list construction
    3. It prevents mirror matches, not only does this make for more interesting games, it also helps prevent "optimal" teams from arising.

5. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Nice to see that people are championing the game! :D

Anyways, I'm not too fund of the Zlavin mod, at least not before at least 20 Aristos have been released. As of now, when you're creating a Starting Lineup, there're simply too few champions to not create several overlaps and although there're so few Aristos released at this point, it's still surprisingly restrictive to only chose from 8 different Aristos. If you're creating a Starting Lineup for 3 different maps, you may rely on certain team combos and synergy. It would rob much of the fun, if one is left with the feeling that they lost at the coin toss and not due to being outplayed, because they didn't get to choose first and several of their Aristos got picked and now left you with a remaining Starting Lineup, that is much better suited for King of the Hill or Conquest, rather than say Assault.

Call me old fashioned but I'd much prefer Koorie Queen Mod, as I think it keeps the tactical element creating a Starting Lineup while banning certain champions you think you'll have a hard time handling. Furthermore, it also avoids the "first pick" issue with some champions, where you get to pick a strong champion for a certain map (Hexx3r on conquest is borderline broken) while the opponent gets to basically eat dirt.

6. PirateCaptain

PirateCaptain Member

Very good points, I'll have to try playing just the KQMod tonight when we get together. I think my ideal would be KQMod and Zlavin, but that definitely needs all 24, and can create weird situations where you'd have to have an overlapped character, or couldn't ban the same character. Either way, I'm excited to try it out and see what direction people take it for events when the time comes.

Zewrath likes this.
  7. Fathi Amirmoez

Fathi Amirmoez Active Member

Vassily seems pretty cool, if only for the last-minute surprise counter-pick potential.
    Honestly, the only one I wouldn't feel great running in a competitive setting is Semy (and even that could be a good laugh casually).

8. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

One question that was brought to my attention with Vassily is, how does it actually work:
    Is the replacement character card you pick from the starting line up, or the roster you have drafted? @-V-

9. PirateCaptain

PirateCaptain Member

My reading of this would be that you can replace it with any model from your starting lineup.

Flipswitch likes this.
  10. Flipswitch

Yeah, that's the way I assumed but would like some clarification just incase. Cheers mate.

11. Fathi Amirmoez

Fathi Amirmoez Active Member

You replace it with a character from the From the Shadows line-up.

12. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

You can replace one character with any of the four chars (from initial 8 that you bring to the event) that you didn't pick. It's a mod that offers you a second chance when you know the team of your opponent:

-Oh, no! It's control. I'd better replace Hannibal with Laxmee.

:wink:

volgo and Flipswitch like this.
  13. Flipswitch

Gotcha. Cheers!

I just realised my question didn't even make sense. I kept seeing the word tactic cards when it wasn't there. Sleep help Flip, durr.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation