1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To go Sectorial or not for newbie?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by madcore, Feb 17, 2019.

1. madcore

madcore Member

Hi all,

I am very new to the game and I have only played ISS so far but I am wondering if I am not limiting myself by not playing vanilla. I know there are great advantages in fireteams but I am wondering if the sectorials are not limiting me while learning the game. Would like to get the opinion of more experienced players....Should i just drop ISS and play Vanilla?

2. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

On paper Sectorials are easier to work with for a new player due to fireteam bonuses. They're static, you can't really fuck up the application of +1 Burst or +3 BS it's literally point and pull the trigger.

Vanilla's strength is tailoring a list. That requires more indepth knowledge of how units work together and how to get the most out of units for a specific mission. That kind of knowledge is usually what a new player lacks the most as it's accumulated over time.

With that said the difference in strength isn't that great. Play what you think is cool and it'll work out.

ObviousGray likes this.
  3. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

My personal experience is that starting with sectorial works well. It allowed me to learn the game without getting too distracted by different options. Once I felt comfortable with my first army, I could branch out.

Barrogh likes this.
  4. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

This is not true for all sectorials but there are some aspect of the game you can barely play as ISS, so i think it's fair to say they are indeed a bit limiting.

ISS is definitely one of the most "in your face" sectorial in the game, and truth be told it's pretty darn good at it, but the counterpart is that you have very little option to play sneaky: a few holoprojector trick, the lone ninja, eventually a garuda and i guess you could argue the su-jian might be a sneaky unit. Those are mostly unorthodox options and you won't be able to experiment "sneakyness" the same way other factions do with camo shell game, a minelayer screen or going full rambo with a camo trooper equipped with a boarding shotgun.

So yeah I'd highly recommend you to make a few games with vanilla once in a while with something like the typical white banner list (daofei + 2x guilangs + zhencha) as it'll let you experiment first hand how camo tokens and midfield skirmishers operate, what are their strength and weakness, etc...

madcore likes this.
  5. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I think it's better to start the game without using fireteams.

Fireteam rules modify almost all the core Infinity rules, so I think it's better to get the standard rules down solid before adding in Fireteams. You can play a sectorial without fireteams, but that's usually limiting yourself a lot.

6. madcore

madcore Member

So based on what I am reading, opinion are pretty much even....there are arguments on both sides...I guess the next question would be:

In terms of sectorial, is it better to go ISS or IA?

Is Yu jing Vannilla stronger than either of its sectorials?

7. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

They've all got their pros and cons.

colbrook and madcore like this.
  8. madcore

madcore Member

So I guess there are no clear answer, just experimentation...My view of this game is too tainted by the other games I am playing. Will keep playing ISS until I have a clear understanding of the sectorial and the game and will go from there. Tks Guys.

9. Section9

Yeah, Infinity is very unlike any other minis game I have ever played.

Manfred_VR likes this.
  10. Manfred_VR

Manfred_VR Well-Known Member

So, here's my opinion about, I'm primarily a vanilla player and believe that you should play it at first, just to test every units, we've two amazing sectorials but in my opinion they're quite restricted compared to our main faction.
    Anyway welcome to the game and my compliments for your choice ;).

11. Minos

Minos Νίκη ἢ Θάνατος

Sectorial armies were initially thought for confirmed players and generalist for the beginners. But it is worth noticing that at the time, the factions did not have as many profiles as now.

Many players begin with a sectorial because they have more character, consistency, not because of the fireteam rules. And we see more and more veteran players playing generalist armies because of their flexibility and because of this:
    I can not agree more with the following:
    Choose what you want, avoid using the fireteam rules during your first games if necessary.

KestrelM1 and Section9 like this.
  12. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I just think going into a Sectoral might be a way to save some money. The focus helps you to get what you need an play it. With Vanilla there's so much to choose from you might buy something and then never play it. Also, going Sectoral you can always branch out into Vanilla slowly. But a bit harder the other way.

13. REND

REND Well-Known Member

To answer the first question, yes you are limiting yourself. This is in the strict sense that you are choosing not to use the full range of options/models available to the faction. The sectorial lists offer you a somewhat restricted (and potentially adjusted) choice of models in exchange for the benefits of links and different AVA for some models.

When learning the game sectorial lists and in particular fire-teams can be quite helpful. The more restricted choice of models can help with list creation and although it can make learning the rules more complicated, fire-teams offer a more forgiving game experience due to the bonuses the teams provide. There are some indirect consequences of playing fire-teams that be quite impactful. The coherency links demand mean that you usually deploy them in supportive formations where they cover each other from attack, moving multiple models around makes it less likely you will over-extend, leaving valuable pieces alone and unsupported.

The main faction will have more choice (in the case of Yu Jing a lot more) and the combinations of models offers up a wealth options for you to choose from. This can create far more varied and interesting lists than the sectorial lists but without the fire-team benefits.

Fire-teams offer very valuable bonuses but they can also lead to potentially bad habits and in particular crutching on benefits like the burst & BS bonus or sixth sense level 2. This can lead you to rigid thinking about the game, list builds and a brick wall when opponents know how to counter fire-teams effectively.

Starting with a sectorial is, however, a perfectly fine choice. I think it helps a lot for writing cohesive lists and thinking about supportive combinations. It can help you identify a 'core' for your lists that you can then experiment with to test out ideas and new models. This 'core' needn't use links and you could easily play vanilla lists to explore what you do and don't like.

14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Sectorial pros: easier to start collecting, easier to learn rules because there's fewer of them, easier to stop losing as a beginner
    Sectorial cons: may miss learning about attack vectors (solo models) being important, sixth sense is easily the most difficult rule in the game

15. Space Ranger

Just because you are playing sectoral doesn't mean you MUST use fireteams. You can still play everything solo.

16. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

You can, but the risk is that you take advantage of the advantages you have and end up in a tactical rut as a consequence of learning the game that way.

17. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

You can, but there are not that many sectorials which can be run without fireteams while offering anything over vanilla.

Frankly, I don't think there are many people perfectly willing to fulfill a requirement of reading hundreds of pages with rules to get into the game, but who would be scared of applying fireteam rules at the same time.

If these forums are anything to go by, to each his own. For me it was easier to start with sectorial because of how neatly buying like 3 boxes could cover my bases in terms of collecting, and because it was always easier for me to understand what are fireteams than to assemble my lists with so many options vanilla offers.

#17 Barrogh, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  18. Space Ranger

I'm saying that Fireteams are an option. When you are just starting out, it might be something to skip at first. There's not rules that you MUST use fireteams. I also think the "advantage" of sectoral is the higher AVA on some troops. Not the fireteams.

19. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what faction / sectorial we are talking about.

Although if it's a sectorial with AVA 3 of flashbots, that's something to consider! :D

20. Section9

Very much agree with this.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation