1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Gunnar Trollhunter from Dire Foes

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Ghost_X, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Death

Death Well-Known Member

*Looks again.

Oh, your right lol. Ok so it doesn't have hidden deployment in code 1 but it is still another camo marker. Yu Jing in this battle pack is FULL of camo markers while Pano only has mods that can be ignored by DTWs and mines which Yu Jing also has plenty of.

Right now, I'd much rather be the Yu Jing player, it looks like an uphill batttle for Pano.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  2. Skoll

Skoll Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely feels like odds are stacked against pano in the box.

You dont get newbies into game with unbalanced boxes.

Also dire foes box yu jing side feels like gunnar but better. same bs, same cc stat but with a lot of -3s stacked on top. Breaker combi to ignore the armor our dude is paying for... yay playtesting

3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

CB apparently fixed their communication. Now this is the next goal we need to harp on, I guess.

4. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

I’ve been harping on this issue since HSN3.
    I care little for what awkward role playing Spanish nerds miscommunicate, compared to an insane release speed with little to no play tested armies and/or units.

eciu, Skoll, Pinky and 1 other person like this.
  5. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Just a quick clarification:

I dont care about this right now in the greater scheme of things, but running demos. Stuff like this can put people off really quick and I wanted to use Kaldstrom as my demo set going forward.

6. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

I think you guys are forgetting how big the table is. KoJ spitfire will comfortably catch most things in +3, Gunnar and KoJ can destroy the Dao Fei in CC, Nokken can also shoot apart most anything, including the Dao fei.

the grass is always greener on the other side I suppose

7. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Well-Known Member
    Warcor

You realize the Dao Fei has a spitfire too right? The nokken is going up against a faction that is riddled with template weapons. You can deflect all you like, but theres a basic issue with the perception this will give to new players.

Urobros likes this.
  8. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

This. Especially since YJ players are also complaining about PanO getting cool toys, while they get generic HIs.

The box might be skewed, it might be balanced in practice. It's possible that it's supposed to be balanced in actual Kaldstrom scenarios, not intended for straight 1 on 1 fight. I'd prefer starter to be balanced, and including three camo troops on one side is a reason for concern, but I'm more concerned how the armies will be balanced as a whole.

Urobros likes this.
  9. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I had a conversation with a friend who's been reading the Yu Jing forums this morning (where I fear to tread):

Me: "So I just read a suggestion from the PanO Kaldstrom threads that the box was stacked against PanO and that they wouldn't be able to win Kaldstrom games. I bet if I looked for it I'd find a Yu Jing player with the equivalent complaint."

Him: "...you would win that bet."

10. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

To be fair, Yu Jing players would complain about getting a 0SWC 10 point Heavy Infantry on par with an Orc that had a six-shooter made up of railguns.

PS:
    I'm taking credit if anyone gets a six-shooter made up of railguns.

11. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

We haven't seen either of the new rulesets, and we don't have the full picture on the profiles, and both sides are already complaining about balance.

Yep, checks out.

12. Death

Death Well-Known Member

This is why I hate small teasers like this. It raises more questions than it answers. And concerns over balance on a boxset meant to get new players into the game is a legit concern.

You could say wait till the product comes out before judging but that doesn't help everyone that is preordering this boxset assuming they will be able to use it for demos.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  13. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but what do you expect?

We have full statlines for Code One. People are going to compare them.
    We have an idea of how things are supposed to work from this week's videos. People are going to inevitably draw conclusions, rightly or wrongly, based upon what they see.

The whole issue could be avoided if, like Stiopa suggested, the 'balance' comes in from how you play the scenarios(maybe Yu Jing doesn't ever get to field all of their camo units at once until you're supposed to bring the Beyond pack) in the book and it is expressly spelled out.

14. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

That's barely true, I think most of us know the box is a Yu Jing power fantasy. Probably PanO can win half the matches but it won't be nearly as fun for that player and I don't know how often these units will get used in N3/4, whereas the Hundun, Guilang and Daofei are likely to be all list every list from here on.

I cringe a little when Bostria jokes about how much better the Yu Jing side is during the videos because he's actually right. I'm not going to save much by selling my Blue Boys.

15. Furiat

Furiat Mandarin

Also YJ has 2swc weapons and higher wip for any possible objectives. As much as I want to roleplay salty YJ player, now I just can't. Our side of the box is clearly better. Not saying that this is good because of those intro games. Full C1 roasters look more balanced and maybe beyond kaldstrom will balance thigs out.

16. the huanglong

I guess it will scale a little. In the first mission and probably second missions I think Yu Jing will be at a pretty serious disadvantage.

17. Kilroy

Kilroy Active Member

Word. That joke is getting old.
    I'll wait to see the whole ruleset but I tend to agree that the Yu-Jing profiles are more intresting then PanO and YJ also seems to have complete control over the board, with a more then competent sniper, camo markers, mines and a solid HI with 2W and a BIG template. While i like the Nokk, the other profiles are, to put it mildly... boring: a bread-and-butter HI in the form of an ORC Multi, a powerhouse well-rounded HI that is also quite vanilla with no tricks up her sleeve, a MI Medic with a sword far too sharp for his own good, the lovable nokk and three fusiliers. Visually appealing, but getting them to attack in their sweet-spot rangeband without getting roasted, sniped or surprise-attacked will be a challenge.

18. SpectralOwl

Evidently not powerful enough to price it above 2 Fusiliers. And I don't suspect it will ever see use, since everything above a Zhanshi has great odds to deal multiple wounds with their powerful weapons and negative mods reducing the chance that PanO BS will cancel a few shots. Thanks to the templates I don't think even turtling will work for PanO here. Unless there's some big unexpected changes to how basic combat works that gives raw BS and ARM real parity with easy modifier stacking, this may be the worst intro pack ever for Infinity.

Urobros and Azakel like this.
  19. the huanglong

Although it's bland, the KOJ has decent odds of shredding all the camo units, and the ORC isn't far behind. Four 11s vs one 13. The trick will be not over-committing the Nokia to where it is promptly incinerated by the Jujak and using it to protect the rest of the list against rampaging Dao Fei and Guilang.

Brokenwolf likes this.
  20. St.Craft

St.Craft Active Member

This box, is redemtion, for your help to jsa during uprising.:money_mouth_face:
    P.s soz for bad english.

Tibooper and the huanglong like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation