1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The spirit of the forum

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by andre61, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Rizzy

Rizzy Armchair Strategos L3

I've been active on multiple gaming forums in the last 15 years and even with the recent Uprising annoyance this forum is still the least vitriolic I've been to by far. Sure, there are grievances coming up again and again, but let's be fair, Tohaa are on a release drought and Uprising could have been handled a lot better. I'm still reasonably sure, though that I could play a fun game of Infinity against 99% of the people on this forum.

Nah, not even whisky makes cola drinkable.

2. Mruczyslaw

Mruczyslaw AROnaut

Look how positive this topic is.
    Spirit of the forum is fine;)

andre61, Wolf and jherazob like this.
  3. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

As a point of note Bourbon is actually derivation of gold rum in imitation of whisky, that's one of the reasons it tastes better with coke.

In terms of actual whisky, If I'm accompanying my game with a spirit it tends to be a spot of Jura, I seemingly have a backlog of superstition at the moment.

As for the original topic, I think it's a pretty positive forum overall in comparison to some others, possibly room for more community engagement but would that really be what people want? Helicopter parenting and firefighting from CB would be IMO as bad or worse than lack of information. They also clearly pay attention to the forums, I'm pretty sure all the faction quotes on the Gencon seminar slides pre the last sectoral reveal were direct quotes from the forum. This way the discussions that naturally develop on media like this still inform their decisions without their direct influence.

I've been on forums before where the powers that be were too quick to knee jerk change when confronted by discontent to appease a vocal minority, game balance goes skew-wiff and then more people drop out due to not knowing what the rules for this unit are this month, or a unit that was already subjectively good but balanced becoming OP due to changes demanded by the vocal minority

jherazob and Wolf like this.
  4. dlfleetw

dlfleetw Well-Known Member

The US has a large number of distilleries all over the country (Prohibition blowing the market to pieces for a while), and major Whiskey production started in PA area as RYE, bourbon came later (or Tennesse whiskey is Bourbon just has a slightly different legal distinction and mainly charcoal filtering and ... because)

5. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

LOL: I see, Go head, have fun dudes it's all good

6. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

I aim happy to see this.

7. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

You heard it here first folks!

How dare you sir! Rum is a worldly lady, she's cheap, been around, and knows what she wants, which is often to be mixed with others for a good time. There are few things I enjoy more than a good Cuba Libre (Rum, cola and lemon)

I have recently been exposed to the wild and wonderful world of moonshine. It has a bad rep, but it has grown on me with force

8. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Give me that peaty scotch all day every day. Lagavulin is A+.

ransaka, n21lv, Darkvortex87 and 3 others like this.
  9. sonicReducer

sonicReducer Well-Known Member

Smooth Scotch for me. Glenlivet / Aberlour / Aberfeldy, yum. Need a new bottle too ...

10. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I gotta couple of buddies who are well-oriented in this craft. And, as usual, quality is the key.

Moonshine has the bad reputation because of all those cheap, nasty concotions that were made primairly to get the imiber drunk - as fast and as cheap as possible. However, give it attention, time, effort, quality ingredients, quality apparatus, enough distillation & filtration cycles, and perhaps a decent maturing period, and you can have some pretty incredible stuff. Stuff that wouldn't make it to a shop shelf, because all the TLC it got in the production would kick the price sky-high sohuld you try doing it on an market level.
    Same thing we've seen with home-made beers: with TLC and some experience, homegrown brewers can make beers that are unique and great... but cost many times over the cost of a bottle off a shelf in your local store...

Or, to put it in another context... you can buy a cake off a gorcery store's shelf. It might even be not half bad.
    You can order a cake from a bakery, and with a bit of luck, it will be a real craftsman-quality job, a real good cake.
    But either way, it likely can't even hold a candle to the cakes your grandma could bake!

11. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Best 'shine comes from Southwestern Virginia. At least here on the east coast.

Brother Smoke likes this.
  12. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Someone likes to live dangerously... :smiling_imp:

Or from someone who learned their 'shine-making from there. Lady I know in western Washington state makes some very impressive hooch.

I should admit that I am generally impressed with the Japanese whiskys (man, that spelling just does not look right to me...). Quite tasty.

But if I want to really snob it up, Penderyn. Holy crap that stuff is good! Rather bloody expensive to get in the US, though. Need to order 6 bottles to get best shipping prices, and then you're talking $400 or so!

#72 Section9, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Brother Smoke and jherazob like this.
  13. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Somebody's been studying his Swanson Pyramid of Greatness!

Hibiki makes an outstanding sipping whisky for the price.

Yes, that spelling just feels so wrong...

14. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Downhill ski-ing and later, martial arts.

It's hard to know whether there was any serious future in it, but I'm proud of my brother who continued competing, represented nationally, and went on to win a double world championship in a minor discipline. I guess there was some potential.

Unfortunately, I was increasingly distracted from age 11 by the discovery of skateboarding, causing tension with my family, team coaches and event organisers when I missed start times because I was skating...

Eventually, I was confronted by a regional coach named Arnold who sternly admonished me to keep my mind on serious sporting opportunities, and that skateboarding was a craze that would soon pass. I remember knowing he was wrong, but not knowing why or how to say it.

Now I understand that standing sidewise on something and gliding along is an unbeatable feeling, so once the Tony Hawk era established professional athleticism, the technology worked itself out, and it was here to stay.

Anyway, I'd given up competitive ski-ing by age 15 and was spending my weekends at the skatepark. Maybe some potential was wasted, but the competitive spirit re-emerged in a long and moderately successful martial arts career, and much later still in a moderately wretched golfing career. :wink:

And the postscript is that I'm still skating. Here's me 40 years later, in a lazy speed drift on a beautiful 2km stretch of perfect blacktop in the heat of a New Zealand summer. The wheels were breaking away so smoothly I couldn't tell where the carve ended and the slide began. Fuck you, Coach Arnold! :smile:

Precision Toeside Carve.jpg

#74 Wolf, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  15. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

Do you mean Penderyn? If so I live and grew up about 30mins drive from the distillery.

Section9 and DukeofEarl like this.
  16. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Wait a minute, the Welsh make single malt whisky? I had no idea, for shame!

The only rational solution to this lamentable ignorance is for @leigen_zero to stage an ITS event in his town featuring a tour of the distillery and yarns about the daring exploits of your troopers over a generous sampling of their wares. Can anyone fault my thinking?

#76 Wolf, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  17. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

We're starting to build up an international infinity inebriation itinerary here...

18. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Haha that freakin' Parks and Rec joke is the worst. Everyone has since assumed that's where my love of that came from and I constantly have to explain/insist that I liked it before that.

Vakarian and DukeofEarl like this.
  19. dlfleetw

dlfleetw Well-Known Member

Its more the eternal Ardbeg vs Laphroaig vs Lagavulin conversation.

Plus the other 5 Islay distilleries...

n21lv, Vakarian and Wolf like this.
  20. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

Good luck with that buddy I haven't played infinity since my son was born (he's 3 now), @Flipswitch is our warcor so it's his problem not mine :trollface:

Best part is that the world-acclaimed Penderyn Whisky is distilled about 10 minutes away from one of, if not the, shittiest places in Wales

Wolf likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation