1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The spirit of the forum

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by andre61, Aug 21, 2018.

1. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

I'm actually wearing a Jim beam shirt now...
    The honey flavour is okay, but red stag is like liquid jolly ranchers and oak shavings...

As far as @Wolf putting ice in a malt...
    My grandfather used to say 'them that made it put enough water in' but I will admit that if I'm drinking a blend (Johnny Walker, Whyte and Mackay or famous grouse if I have any choice... ) and or a bourbon I will have ice in, or occasionally I'll just leave the bottle in the freezer...

Cola is a bit more complicated, generally I prefer Pepsi, but I think coke is better with Jack, or mixed in with a blue slushy...

Rey and jherazob like this.
  2. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I know, I know, and still I can't help myself. :face_with_rolling_eyes:

I also put my bottles in the fridge, and even tried chilling it with pebbles I'd put in the freezer (!), but I ended up realising I liked the way it changes as you work your way through the glass. The knack is to drink it quickly, then pour yourself another one. :wink:

I should come up your way next time I'm in the UK, and we can experiment with different ways of chilling single malt and whether they affect tactical judgement in games of Infinity differently - as a rigorous scientific investigation, I mean ... :grin:

3. Wolf

There was a period at college when I derailed my studies quite successfully by conducting an investigation into the virtues of different rye whiskies. I recall my conclusion was that Wild Turkey was the best rye to enjoy whilst staying up very late indeed watching horror movies and not working in general. :smile: Is it any good as a rye - aside from jokes in our mock dumpster fire, I really wouldn't know?

jherazob likes this.
  4. Niebieskooki

Niebieskooki Blue Sun Lieutenant

Wild turkey is definitely one of the best if not the best product from that price category - which is "affordable at all". I still chose bourbon myself tho.

Granted - I don't come from the country that has great tradition of drinking whisky so propably lot of decent products is plainly not available to me.

#44 Niebieskooki, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Wolf and jherazob like this.
  5. dlfleetw

dlfleetw Well-Known Member

Whisk(e)y!

Heathens.... ;)

6. Wolf

NOW we've got a fire burning! More gas, dammit! :smile:

jherazob likes this.
  7. dlfleetw

How many people notice the spelling difference or the regions of the world that use it?

8. Niebieskooki

Correct me if i am wrong but isn't whiskey like american way of spelling it, while whisky being scottish/irish spelling?

9. dlfleetw

Scots use whisky and Irish use Whiskey.

The heritage of the whisk(e)y making tradition defines the spelling. The US use the (e) while, for example, the Japanese tradition was formed around (and trained by) the Scottish.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Jack and Jim (and Jose, if we're being honest) are not fit alcohols to clean a firearm.

Let alone actually drink. *shudders*

Laphroig? Sometimes. Gotta be in the mood for smokey flavor. Balvenie? Usually Doublewood. But oh, how I wish I could still get Porfidio tequila. That stuff was ... words fail me. Smoother than water, and then you get this peppery kick at the end.

leigen_zero, jherazob and Vakarian like this.
  11. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Hell's bells, not even a good rye can make cola drinkable.

Wolf likes this.
  12. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Seriously. If you are mixing rye, use ginger. If you are drinking rye, there are plenty out there far better than Wild Turkey's offering.

Man, my derailment really went off the tracks :P

Errhile and Vakarian like this.
  13. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Whisky = from Scotland. Whiskey= from Kentucky, or Tennessee. Or scotch and bourbon, if you prefer.

As every schoolboy knows, one always "breaks" a good whisky with a little water.

Knob Creek is a nice accessible bourbon. Life is too short to waste even one moment of it drinking cheap bourbon.

Espolon Silver is a very pleasant tequila. Not crazy expensive either. Drink it neat. Don't waste it in margueritas. Not that margueritas are a waste...

Rum is the Devil. I won't drink rum. Or gin. Or colas. The latter is the vilest of all.

Vakarian, jherazob and Wolf like this.
  14. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Oh? Rum is my personal favourite among distilled spirits (but - a proper sugarcane rum, not any of those beetroot-based contraptions!).

Lothlanathorian likes this.
  15. Darkvortex87

Darkvortex87 Combat jump kamikaze

it really depends on what you have to do with it.
    If you need to remove paint from a fence, maybe. If you need to kill yourself with alcohol poisoning, surely.

But to drink it -enjoying it-?
    God, I'm Italian and I don't understand a thing with wiskey, but you must try something else.

Lagavulin or Macallan for example

Vakarian likes this.
  16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

You've never been face down on the sidewalks of the vieux carre in New Orleans after one hurricane too many at Pat O'Briens.

I don't recommend it, not these days. New Orleans was a far different place 3 1/2 decades ago. And no, not during Mardi Gras.
    I'll repeat. Rum is the devil. Too many unpleasant cogeners.

Say, this forum could use a thread for discussing adult beverages. @andre61, why not repurpose the thread to that end? It's already headed that way.

Wolf likes this.
  17. Wolf

As Chief Dumpster Fire starter (despite @Section9's strong bid for the title with his gun-cleaning post :grin:) let's see if I can return us to OP's original intent with a little personal history to illustrate what I think the spirit of our forum really is, and see if you guys agree.

The Spirit of This Forum - Part I

I came to Infinity a couple of years ago because my routine of playing board games and card games was well established, but I was also looking for a tabletop game. But my experience of Warhammer 40,000 during 5th and 6th Editions was that whilst the factions, models and the universe was exciting and immersive, the game itself was flaky as hell. I saw that not even international standard players could manage a game without arguments. That's no good if you're a competitive person; and I am*.

I feel I know a thing or two about games rules and their wording, because my grandfather taught me chess at age 5, and shortly after Dad bought the family Monopoly and so we discovered house rules and lawyering. By the third game I was arguing that players should have as many hotels on properties as they could afford, and my older sister was loaning money to other players at punitive interest rates! :smile:

Meanwhile, because my father was a sports teacher and a very well-qualified coach, I grew up playing sport, travelling weekly to compete nationally, and returning to a house that was literally filled with sports trophies on every shelf and cabinet. I never reached an olympian or professional standard, but I did do quite well in two different sports at an amateur level, and I think I can fairly call myself a competitive person.

* And my lifelong experience is that being competitive is not the same thing as being 'spiky'.

Yes, a competitive player is usually also an aggressive one, but the aggression is in its rightful place and the players have agreed to compete in that place. The aggression heightens our own efforts, and it can be personal, but it's really only aimed at the other person's competitive personality.

This has nuance. It is a fight; but it's a fight within a sandbox, the rules of which define its fairness. You may well try to harm the other's competitive persona, but not really their inner self - both players have freely elected to enter that sandbox with knowledge aforethought.

When the game is done, the medals are awarded and the dust has settled, one is victorious and others are beaten. An there may well be jealousy between those on the podium, but - especially if the match was hard fought, there's also respect, friendship and loyalty. It was a regular part of my childhood experience that we helped other competitors compete against us.

The movie Rush is really enjoyable, and beautifully encapsulates the competitive spirit as I understand it. It also illuminates how rules and their mediation are integral to the dramas that get played out. The argument about how cancelling a race might change the World Championship series standings is pivotal to the whole story...

So where a game has many complicated rules, there'll be strange and unforseen interactions, or even flaky situations where players can't be absolutely sure how something will play out. Such a game will be less properly competitive, which means there'll be less friendship, less mutual support, less trust and players will stick to their own play group where they know what's what and they can get the game they like.

So I went off looking for a tabletop game that would give me my science fiction fix, but would also hopefully fix the problems I'd encountered in WH40K and other complicated games, and let me enjoy a similarly immersive universe, but also get a properly competitive match against others with all the virtues of good, fair competitive games. And so I came to Infinity... :grin:

Part II coming ... soon!

#57 Wolf, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Vakarian and jherazob like this.
  18. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

I think most alcohol taste like ass... but I do love the way I feel when I massively overindulge. If you can still walk straight after drinking then what was even the point of drinking!

As for the community here. as a community gets bigger it gets more toxic and nasty, lucky for us Infinity is still a pretty small community, unlucky for us we are the most toxic community I have seen in a small game.

Wolf likes this.
  19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Well, when it's something you wouldn't pour into a firearm (you know, something built tough enough to contain explosions), why on earth would you want to pour it into you?!? (I mean, I've seen Diet Pepsi used as gun cleaner before. Guy was competing in a category where you had to carry all your stuff with you through the day, and his shotgun had gummed up. Checks pack, no gun cleaner. Crap. Got a Pepsi. It'll work for the rest of the match, and you can clean the shotgun really well at night when you have all the stuff available to you.)

I'm American, and I have several expensive hobbies. Infinity (well, minis in general) is one of them.

But we really do try to be civil here, and often take people to task for failing to be civil.

I've been grumpy lately, starting in April with the Uprising. It's kinda gotten better since (I do want to keep playing Infinity, at least), but there are some times when I completely lose patience with people. One of those is when I am being misquoted. In fact, that's one of my second-fastest triggers. I don't think anyone here is going to ever get to my fastest trigger.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  20. Niebieskooki

Which are hardly in affordable range with their prices being 3 times as high. As much as I'd lvoed to try them you can;t really compare them price-wise.

I also don't drive Camaro even tho I'd love to :)

Out of curiosity, what sports?

#60 Niebieskooki, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation