1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The power level of Vanilla YJ post Uprising

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Zewrath, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

I would like to add a little bit to what @banthafodder says here.

Personally, I'm very upset about the way Uprising was handled and how it has affected my enjoyment of my faction. That may not be the same for everyone (which is why BF is pointing out that they're not being an asshole), and it certainly won't be to the same degree for everyone.

For myself, I have massively reduced my interactions with my local group, and I tend to only lurk in the YJ forum - this is to actually minimise the impact of my own negativity.

2. Ten Thousand Arrows

Ten Thousand Arrows Imperial Sage

This is something that I've felt too. I've taken a step back from playing because it's shaken up my experience of getting into the hobby. Not only have I had to try and sell about a third of my collection AND buy models to replace them in lists, the learning curve has increased significantly. My vanilla YJ lists all feel the same now, with the most effective ones around 50% identical to each other. I've even stopped posting on these forums as much because most of my posts would be bitter and full of grievances.

3. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I can only think of what my mom used to say, “This too shall pass”. Heavens Mandate will return to the Middle Kingdom. Meanwhile, I still have ISS and Combined to play.

4. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

Oh, for sure. But a wound heals better when your doctor does not rub salt in it! :stuck_out_tongue:

5. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Quoted because I have but one like to give...

When I was getting Infinity started in Boise, we literally used every single tree in the store to make ONE table. We bought probably $100 a person worth of nice model railroad trees, and another $25 worth of cheaper ones, plus bases, and donated all the cheap trees to the store for general use. Then we used the nice trees for our Infinity tables.

This.

This is so fucking important.

I am still seriously pissed off at CB, because they can do (and have done) better. This game has been my primary tabletop gaming since 2006. I have thousands of dollars piled up in various models, terrain, etc. Hell, I have over a thousand dollars in civilian models alone (3x36count trays, ~$10 a model). This exceeds my investment in GW games, and probably also my investment in Flames of War.

I do not want CB to fail.

I am deathly afraid that CB is losing track of what made them a great company 10 years ago, and I do not want CB to go the way of Rackham/Confrontation.

So will kidney stones, but until they do pass they hurt worse than anything you can imagine. Even a fatal myocardial infarction (heart attack) apparently hurts less, and I know several female nurses that swear up and down they'd rather give birth without painkillers than pass another kidney stone.

6. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ Well-Known Member

Ive spent more money on terrain than I have on models, maybe even as much as I spent on my 40k army that I never use.

Alphz and Dragonstriker like this.
  7. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

#MeToo

Dragonstriker likes this.
  8. Furiat

Furiat Mandarin

Yeah. Memes are funny and we all appreciate them but for once, I want CB to look at this problem seriously. I don't have heart (nor money) to change system again and this one is too good to leave because of bad communication.

9. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

LOL unfortunately I know this! Been to the emergency room and all.

I try to look at it this way. I can’t change CB, but I can tell them, especially Carlos when I see him next time at Gen Con or Adepticon, that what they did was a bad business move and to please think a bit more about how they are affecting their customers in the future. Done that’s all I can do. For now, I’m going to adapt and change to go with the flow. I’ll play CA for a bit since I haven’t done them in years anyway. Then when I feel the time is right I’ll go back to YJ even if it’s just ISS. If my saying something to them doesn’t work, then I can only hope that when they see sales slide and people not taking them to tournaments, then that might change their attitude.

WaciQ likes this.
  10. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Actually, BS 11 + MSV 1 is often better than a BS 12 sniper. I would consider using a Guilang Sniper. You really don't need to take two FO Guilangs all the time.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

While I hate counter-saying someone providing nuance, but a Guilang has to make camo state and/or infiltration work for it to be better against most target. Against a standard dodging Myrmidon Guilang has 32% chance to wound while Lunah has 27% to kill. Against a Dakini MSR a Guilang has 28% vs Lunah's 45% (with Guilang running a significantly higher risk of dying at 26% while Lunah only runs a 15% risk)

#191 Mahtamori, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  12. Death

Death Well-Known Member

The pure math also ignores situational advantages from having an infiltrating sniper. Sometimes having a Sniper in the right place is more important than Lunah's statistical advantages.

Neither target is what I'd want my Guilang sniper (Lunah for that matter) shooting at. I'd want to leverage the sniper range vs targets that are at a clear disadvantage. Though snipers are always more a defensive piece than an offensive one so infiltration is a very nice skill to have.

Daemon of Razgriz likes this.
  13. Mahtamori

Precisely what I wrote; you'd have to make the two distinct advantages that aren't MSV work for the Guilang or Lunah will statistically be better in a fair number of situations. The two targets were chosen because they would give the Guilang an advantage from MSV that Lunah would have to overcome.

Of course, neither is Armand.

Not sure I've seen many snipers that gets to be defensive, tbh, mostly they're defensive by hiding and forcing more cautious end-of-turn positions.

14. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Again, neither is a target I'd want a sniper shooting at anyway so its a bad comparison. Snipers should pick on the weak, like combi rifle units with Minemtism. By defensive I mean they are primarily ARO pieces. So having a Guilang over looking an objective I know my opponent has to take is quite useful. Lunah is not a unit I want for ARO. Once her limited camo is gone I think shes too easy to remove. The guilang can just go back to marker state.

Daemon of Razgriz likes this.
  15. Mahtamori

Neither are unrealistic targets and sometimes you have to shoot something that can shoot back. Hell the Myrmidon should be golden, unable to shoot back and with visibility MODs, but turns out isn't for the Guilang. Going back to the post I reacted to, no MSV1 really isn't usually better than higher BS, a usually stronger weapon, and MMSLX which is why I wrote Infiltration and Camo are the abilities that need to be put to work to make Guilang better and without that opportunity or investment Lunah really is a better choise.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation