1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The lesser used skills

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by prophet of doom, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Marut is a bit more scary when you factor multiterrain in it :) As well as the tikbalank and other mobility TAG. But the problem i have with terrain is that it often penalises MI, while MI is already in a so-so spot between some LI which are proficient, cheap and often as sturdy (having things among arm2, nwi, to hit modifiers, that sort of things) and HI who are often faster and have 2 true wounds.

T. Rex Pushups and Abrilete like this.
  2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Yes, MI are quite impacted, but this give a nice opportunity for terrain special rules to shape the battlefield.

Superfluid and T. Rex Pushups like this.
  3. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

this is how the ECM comes into play. the opponent knows about it and thus does not attack the TAG. Mission accomplished for the ECM.

Zewrath, T. Rex Pushups and Abrilete like this.
  4. prophet of doom

People should get over this fear of terrain. I think in N2 terrain was a bit complicated or too hampering. Now I don't see the problem why terrain rules should not be used.

#44 prophet of doom, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  5. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

If Umbra had terrain skills I wouldn't complain.

Flipswitch likes this.
  6. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

It has more to do with the fact that guided isn't worth the trouble. Of course, ARO ECM is better than trying to dodge at -9n but the real problem here is - on the condition you fielded a guided missile launcher - to target the TAG.

prophet of doom likes this.
  7. prophet of doom

I don't bother with guided, but other people do, and are successful with it. Therefore I should not dismiss it.

8. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

1. Scavenger. Bandits stealing HMGs; it's worth it. Also anytime a Bandit opens a panoply.
    2. Minesweeper. I used it more under the previous rules. I've occasionally tried to use it with a Lunokhod, but more for lols than because it was good. I could see myself using it more often if I played vs Drop Bears. The requirement to discover the Mine is what cruels it.
    3. Baggage bots. Akrylat Kanone Lunokhods.
    4. Regeneration. Regeneration on Morlocks are hilarious fun (it allows you to just throw the smoke where you want it with your first order, and just take the hit; then you Regen with their Irregular order). I've also drew(maybe won?) a game by regening Massacre. I was in an extremely bad way, so I did the riskier equivalent of Avi's 'Dr+ Dodge': Move+Moved across a firing line with his Impetuous Order, went Unc and then Regened. It was vs a Spetz on Suppression Fire, so chances were I wasn't smoking anyway, and certainly not twice: I figured I was more likely to survive a single turn of normal shooting + Regen than 2 of FTFs).

Honestly of the long list Automedkit is the only one I don't think I've seen used. And that's probably down to meta.

9. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

It's more the fact that "no terrain rules" is now a "default" way of playing the game in many metas. Zone of comfort, if you will. Without a push this it unlikely to change.

10. prophet of doom

Agreed. I guess the fact that so many laser cut doll houses have been sold is also a factor. I think it is fairly easy to change that - just use some of the old forest bases you still have lying around from the times you played GW games. Forests are quite useful to limit the power of the sniper nests anyway. Or you could build a pond and place it into your cityscape.

I remember that when I played Paradiso we decided to use non-urban terrain when the mission described that it would take place in the wilderness. The games had a completely different feel to them and they worked out well cover-wise, too. Not only houses provide cover. Just give it a go. The terrain rules are not overly complicated and I don't think it leads to horrible imbalance if there are a few forests, a pond and maybe a rock on the board.

Cry of the Wind and ijw like this.
  11. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

You can also use some mat or something and delimit open terrain (roads ...) and difficult terrain without having scenery items to drop in it.

12. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

That's an easy way. Infinity doesn't work very well with rough terrain surface anyway IMO, so keeping your surfaces flat or "count-as-flat" whenever it doesn't cause LoF confusion while having a way to determine where exactly a terrain zone begins and ends sounds like a pretty natural point to begin from.

13. prophet of doom

I think it is indeed important to know exactly where a terrain zone begins. It was annoying to play the missions where a zone begins 8" from the central line or something and then having to measure every time to figure out when a trooper stepped into the zone. In one game I didn't have forest bases so we decided the direct "invisible lines" between the trees would mark the limits of the forest terrain zone, but that does not work well either. Especially when you constantly knock over the trees.

Zewrath and Barrogh like this.
  14. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Assault ?

Are people using this skill (so that why it hadn't appeared here yet) or did they forgot it exist in general ?

T. Rex Pushups likes this.
  15. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I've used it once or twice. Problem is I have to leave the Haramaki behind, which makes Assault much less useful. If it was an Automatic Skill that simply allowed me to make a CC Short Skill if my second Move landed me in Engaged State, it'd be much more useful.

But yeah, qualifies for this list.

16. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

I've seen it used once or twice when Kornak goes mental, or when a Father Knight goes off on one.

17. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Many times, although I’m also using the Morat Fugitive to a religious degree, I never stop having fun with that guy! :sweatsmile:

T. Rex Pushups likes this.
  18. prophet of doom

Assault is a very useful skill that is also not so uncommon. It did not cross my mind to include this skill into my list of lesser used skills.

19. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Assault is great. I'd use it pretty much every chance I had.

20. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Although I always forget what happens in a link. Do the rest just move once?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation