1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Yu Jing

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Greysturm, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Makes me want to print it, soak it in water and throw it at a wall.

How exactly is the Tatenokai managing to blow up police offices? 'cause I can't see it unless they are doing it the mujahideen way, and the kiddos in that piece of fluff don't sound like the suicide type.

And, again, we are expected to take the Imperial Service as a serious and competent fighting force... That lowers its guard in the middle of a terrorist infested territory... And gets blown up...

It actually says "each player must decide whether they are supporting Yu Jing, the JSA or collaborating with the Combined Army" because players playing human factions have to choose which bonus they pick.

Except... we are told noone is helping Yu Jing... And that everyone is helping JSA... And we aren't told that the CA is doing anything in Shentang...

#101 Aldo, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    xagroth and Hecaton like this.
  2. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

Its all very clever, narratively speaking. To build hype for the release of a much-anticipated redesigned sectorial next year, they're doing an event that gives players the choice between three flavours of shasvastii infiltrator.

That or players are being asked It is time to look for justice! What side are you on? when one side is operating under explicit instructions to murder anyone ethnically Japanese, but that would just be silly.

3. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Well, the Far Right is at an all time high in the world (or so do the news tell me), so maybe CB are trying to tape into that wide market of ethnic cleansing aficionados?

xagroth, BenMoss and Hecaton like this.
  4. Hjiryon

Hjiryon Well-Known Member

Emphasis mine. Sigh. This is the background stuff from the last mission.
    The narrative here is downright offensively stupid and largely written to make the JSA look heroic. I'd previously considered people comparing the Imperial Service to the SS hyperbolic, but the argument here really is about ethnic cleansing - And not presented by Psycho-Crane from before. You know, just in case we might think it was an isolated incident with one officer being an idiot.
    Not so, it's all of them, I guess.

Also, I realise that language is a pet peeve of mine, but is the grammar usually this bad in material released by CB? Some of it borders on confusing to read.

5. Antares

Antares Well-Known Member

This will certainly add fuel to the fire. CB, please, who do you expect wants to join the ISS and their genocidal approach? I'm somewhat disappointed to say the least.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J500FN mit Tapatalk

xagroth, Kallas and Aldo like this.
  6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

You're the one who won't engage with people who can prove your viewpoints wrong; looks more like you're the one who's not interested in discussion. What faction am I trying to trash? Yeah I'm "trashing" the fluff, because it's poorly written. But I'm not trying to trash the game, because I think it deserves better.

7. Hecaton

That's just moving the goalposts. They lied, or were mistaken. Admit it.

Henshini and the huanglong like this.
  8. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Yeah, this particular thing really *is* baffling. Even if we assume that Yuandun Division represent only an extreme minority of the YJ troops, then - seriously, would anyone want to play this particular group? "Hey, anyone wants to play the part of the genocidal army division conducting some ethnic cleansing? Come on, it'll be fun!"

I admit I'm a bit reminded here of how Marvel was handling their Civil War event years before... Not a good memory.

And if this *is* the current direction for the YJ faction, then... drat, I really have no idea what to do with a big and costly box of YJ minis that I received today...

*is sad*

xagroth, Kallas, Hecaton and 2 others like this.
  9. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

Well, I think my YJ will remain vanilla Terracotta warriors, and not ISS.

Because I'm all for fighting the CA, and all against being a genocidal nutbag.

xagroth, Space Ghost and Kallas like this.
  10. SpecOps Birolla

SpecOps Birolla Well-Known Member

I think CB is actually reading the forum and went something like

"Flanderization?FLANDERIZATION??? I'll show you fools FLANDERIZATION!!!"*
    (Substitute "Flanderization" with "Stupid Evil" or "Incompetence" as you may see fit)

We are actually approaching 40k-like degrees of grimderp :joy:
    Seriously, I wouldn't play for YJ or JSA in this pack if they paid me

11. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

Man, talk about taking the idiot ball the whole nine yards and spiking it.

Resigned apathy switching to revulsion.

12. Hecaton

Shouldn't have played YJ, then. It's the role Interruptor has chosen for them.

13. Hecaton

Eh, I think it's just apathy towards our complaints combined with an initial bad decision of turning YJ into a villain faction. They made a bad call and Founders Syndrome will prevent them from smartening up.

xagroth and the huanglong like this.
  14. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

@SpecOps Birolla That was actually a real concern of mine as I read through it... the broad strokes here are going to have been decided well before this I'm sure, but there little elements that mapped to some of the critiques and debates we've been having, things like:

"Yu Jing is more than just genocide police!" --> *double-down on Yu Jing being nothing but genocide police*.

"Most of these sources are pro-JSA, maybe Yu Jing voices see things differently?" --> *Yu Jing voices are written to directly shout a repeat of the earlier content*.

"People running counter-insurgencies are trained to know the importance of public and international opinion!" --> *counter-insurgency agents expressly state they don't care about public opinion or international relations*.

I've gone from thinking CB ignoring critiques was the worst approach, to now hoping they've been ignoring us entirely in case this is the result of catching their ear.

15. berynius

berynius Well-Known Member

Okay I have to admit while until now, I have not had a problem with the fluff of the uprising [still missing my book so can't comment on that]. I do think that quote from the Yuandun is in very poor taste and crosses a line of what I would call common decency. As a result my respect for C.B has taken a very large hit.

xagroth, the huanglong and Kallas like this.
  16. Fyeya

Some of us can't afford to faction swap, so I'm in the JSA/YJ camp regardless. I'll just make the most of it by ensuring 'my dudes' are a different unit with different goals.

I've always played that way, and as a writer, I feel no shame whatsoever in carving my own little narrative nest out of the fluff.

17. berynius

berynius Well-Known Member

I like the way you think. :-)

18. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Well, if it's okay to have this kind of head-canon, then I'll be going with that, too. If it's allowed for me to declare that my bunch of ISS troops are the rare case of a division that didn't lose their marbles because of the war, then... great :)

19. Fyeya

It's a miniature wargame. It is ALWAYS ok to headcanon, even if the company won't accept that into their rulebooks, at your table, your dudes are YOUR dudes.

Heck, my space Orks were more like rogue traders in how I wrote their background, wandering around, fighting, treasure hunting, looting old tombs and selling the goods off to the pink gitz for shiny engines wot go faster.

Rizzy and Space Ghost like this.
  20. Hecaton

It seems like CB is trying to head this approach off at the pass with the latest round of fluff, leaving no room for YJ who aren't genocide-happy.

xagroth, the huanglong and Kallas like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation