1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That plastic Vostok...

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by Lucian, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Today there is a new video on the subject:

redeemer, Uthoroc, saint and 2 others like this.
  2. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Nice video mate, I found using a fresh scalpel was great with any lines, it's precision helped a lot. the only tough bits being the end of a trim, but it was brilliant in comparison to working with the old metal. Nice paint job as well squire.

What I am really happy about with the plastic is that it's goodbye chipped minis I've spent a week painting!

Also, Your narration reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson! haha.

What I will admit about the new plastic though, is that I'm really going to miss picking up heavier miniatures and feeling the weight, BUT that can be sorted by getting miniature lead balls in the underside of the base.

So far, big fan.

3. Rizzy

Rizzy Armchair Strategos L3

I finally assembled my Vostok and looking at some of the pictures in this thread I seem to have been luckier than most. My MK12's barrel is bent slightly(a few degrees) upwards, I had major flash behind the two stubby fins on the back which was easy to cut away, attachment points for MK12 and shield thingy had some flashing. Main body and head came out well with barely any flash. Legs had one with a mould line in front and the other had flash filling in the inset area between armour plates.

[​IMG]
    Overflow between plates and rifle bend.

[​IMG]
    Mould lines on legs. Fuselage butt is okay-ish.
    [​IMG]
    It is okay from the front, but I had to cut a bit from the shield thingy on its right "arm".

If I wasn't comparing it to CB's metal minis, it would be fine, I guess. But having assembled it at the same time as the new PanO remotes and some old YJ ones it falls somewhere in the middle castwise, but the material makes cleanup difficult. I am not really looking forward to the bearpode now. I am hopeful it comes out like the body of my Vostok and not like the arms/legs.

#83 Rizzy, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  4. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Hm... for some reason mispack sent me TWO bodies and heads and some other pieces and now I feel bad for that. And they both arrived with snapped off tail finn thingies. Weird. Guess they'd better adjust their designs with new materials in mind in the future.
    [​IMG]

5. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

how did that quote go?

"just use the replacement service and quit complaining!"
    - @psychoticstorm

6. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Pretty certain if you contact them again they’ll apologise profusely and get it sorted. The service team at CB are incredible.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  7. Nuada Airgetlam

They're nice and will send replacements every time, but they're quite bad at sending the right thing the first time and then, as we can see, can't even package the replacement correctly so that it doesn't break. I'd expect three bodies with broken tails or four bodies, each with melted neck, before I got a correct replacement, at this rate. It's pretty sad to see, they need to sort the shipping QA out.

8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

That is not an accurate quote, but please do contact the replacement service and please include any relevant information of what you think might resulted in parts snapping in transit.

Gwynbleidd and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  9. Gwynbleidd

This has not been my experience with them at all. Every time I’ve contacted them the response has been rapid and the missing/damaged replacements have come well packaged. This would appear to be an aberration and they will rectify it if they are contacted. At the moment, the person in question has some very nice extras to use as scenery/basing bits.

10. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Nah, I don't really want to bother with it anymore. At this point It won't arrive this year and i'm tired of waiting. Other than fins bodies are more or less okay, I'll just put it together and be done with it.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  11. Gwynbleidd

You don’t have to, they will deal with the issue if you contact them again. If you are moving forward with assembly, I’d recommend pinning where possible and a good glue with glue accelerator.

12. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Well information about how it arrived and why would still be useful information even if you do not want replacement parts.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  13. Gwynbleidd

Yes, this is useful information for CB and should be included in any response. It’ll help with working out why it broke in transit and assist in the packing of the next item.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  14. Gwynbleidd

Vallejo Matt varnish is your friend... seriously it makes miniatures unbelievably tough and hard wearing.

My friend dropped an old sister of battle coated in the stuff onto a tile floor. She bounced. No chips at all. The Emperor protects. (God Emperor Vallejo does anyhow.)

15. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

It's a friend that treats me badly and never calls me back, then dates my Mum...Then never calls her back either. :yum:

On the mispacked stuff @Lucian that's a shame bud, I've only had two mispacks in my...8 years of playing Infinity (Guess I'm lucky) And both times I received perfect replacements (But those were metal) It's really weird the plastic broke in transport though.

I've finally got around the painting my Vostok and it looks banging, I'll try and get pics up when I can be arsed.

16. Gwynbleidd

Wow, really? I’ve honestly never seen that varnish mess up. I hope you’ve gotten over the disappointment of it. There are plenty more varnishes out there just waiting to get your number then never call you... :joy:

Seriously though, what went wrong with it for you? I’m intrigued. I hope you didn’t have to repaint the minis after.

17. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

RSG. Replacing ShotGun. Legendary in Spain.
    [​IMG]

18. Nuada Airgetlam

I've seen that varnish snow over and also yellow a lot from sunlight exposure. When it works it's great, when it fails it's horrible.

It's mr hobby super clear gloss/matt varnish or bust for me. Goes on perfectly, dries under 10 minutes and never fails. Yes, it's about the same amount of money for a tiny spray that you'd pay for a large of other brands, but it's easy to apply economically with the nozzle they use and never ever fails.

Morray likes this.
  19. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been using the Mr Hobby varnish for nearly 20 years (long before I started wargaming). I'm very, very happy with the product.

I *have* had breaks/chips, but always when handled by other people handling my minis. Somehow. I've never done it myself, it has never happened in play, and never when I have dropped things, but a rando picks up a mini? Somehow it always ends up broken and/or chipped.

Morray and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  20. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Yea I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong, I use thin layers of Vallejo prime black, then scale artist paints for the job, after I'm done two layers of thin Vallejo matt varnish and I'm still getting chips. I'm wondering if it's my case which is a...Battle foam. The 'Base' of the foam seems a little tough. My Warcor says to gloss varnish first, but I just can't bring myself to gloss varnish something that I've taken a week to paint, sometimes more.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation