1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teucer's feubach and a saturation zone

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by kinginyellow, Feb 5, 2018.

1. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

I asked on the infinity facebook group recently and they made it seem to rather unanimous answer but to double check:

Can teucer use marksmanship lvlX through a saturation zone?

2. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Depends on language.
    English: Maybe. Probably not.
    Spanish: Yes. Absolutely.
    (But not when using Nanopulser in Intuitive Attack and not when using Feuerbach in Exp mode. Of course)

4. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Erm wasn't this solved unambiguously on the old forum by pointing out the differences between a Weapon Burst MOD and a Attack Burst MOD? Especially since there is no technical difference from how Marksmanship LVLX works compared to splitting Burst through a Saturation Zone.

Step 1:
    BS Attack is declared with Marksmanship LVLX
    Step 2:
    Determine if requirements for Marksmanship LVLX are met using WEAPON Burst Value.
    Step 3:
    Set WEAPON Burst Value to a fixed 1 (as set MODs apply last) and determine target.
    Step 4:
    Modify the ATTACK's Burst Value by -1 to a minimum of one for the Saturation Zone.

Why is this open for debate again? Saturation Zone Example 2 is pretty clear that allocating Burst preceeds the effects of the Saturation Zone.

xagroth and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that in the old forums, which were basically never visited by the Spanish community, it was settled that Marksmanship LX doesn't work through Saturation Zones because it says "after applying Modifiers" - though no one could properly answer the paradox that is splitting burst and then applying MMSLX.
    I mean, I argued that it should work through Saturation and I'm fairly certain I remember losing that argument.

6. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Yea, I don't see how the above isn't the case.

7. Teslarod

IJW himself proposed MMS LX should work through Saturation
    http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/33500-marksmanship-x-versus-saturation-zone/?page=1

BS Attack Declaration already uses the modified weapon Burst Value. This includes Link Boni the same way it has to include MMS LX, but according to Saturation Zone Example 2, does not include the Saturation Zone Attack Burst MOD. Reminder that examples are rules too, often even a essential part of them - see Protheion for a convincing example.
    As a result the example shows the distinction that a Saturation Zone modifies the Burst of the Attack instead of the Burst of the Weapon is no accident or typo.
    together that does seem pretty airtight.

DukeofEarl and Belgrim like this.
  8. macfergusson

I had forgotten about that thread. However it's a proposed understanding of the situation, not a definitive statement, and nowhere was there a confirmed answer. "Airtight" is not what I'd call it.

DukeofEarl and Belgrim like this.
  9. Teslarod

Lets make it simpler,
    there is a rule that says allocating B to targets happens before applying Saturation Zone MODs.
    Marksmanship Level X happens before allocating B to targets.

The rules establish a clear Order of things.
    (and there still is the Weapon B and Attack B thingie)

For a Saturation Zones to interfere with MMS LX you'd need to find an exception like there is for Discover+Shoot to alter the turn sequence.

Arkhos94 likes this.
  10. macfergusson

I don't think it's as clear cut as you're making it out to be, but I appreciate your stance on the matter.

11. Guardian

Guardian Well-Known Member
    Warcor

@ijw Can you help clarifying this, or should it be FAQed?

12. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I sure hope it gets FAQed, it has been asked at least four times in the forums that I have memories off, and it always boil down to "spanish rulebook lets you, english is not clear".

13. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

I remember reading and writing about this subject a while ago. Conclusion was that it worked. I will looked to see if I find it.

Explainations were mostly like what @Teslarod said : Saturation zone modifiers applies after all other modifier and after burst allocation while marksmanship lvl X happen before all that so no interaction.

14. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Because it's a gag skill. It was purposefully written wrong. As a joke.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation