1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics list

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by QueensGambit, Jun 26, 2022.

1. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

As a small further addendum on matryoshka deployment: you might be able to do it by deploying the hidden model(s) first since once deployed each model no longer counts as being on the table. It's something you'd want to explain to an opponent beforehand (which poses some problems obviously since we're using hidden deployment) but it might be practical if we assume deployment is sequential, not simultaneous.

2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I think this is probably right. We know deployment is sequential because of the wording of Strategic Deployment.

Also, we know that a model can be deployed on top of a hidden deployed unit, because it can happen accidentally - player A can unknowingly deploy their unit on top of player B's hidden unit. Since it can happen accidentally, it's hard to see why it couldn't happen on purpose.

So arguably you can't keep the Nadhir as your reserve and then decide to deploy it on top of the Daylami. But otherwise it should work.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  3. HeadChime

HeadChime Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Totally respect TOs right to disallow this. As I'm sure you're aware I've spoken to Imp and others about this precise issue over and over again, and have ruled on it for events. However, as of Ian's, 1.2 update I'm reasonably sure the strategy I provided is absolutely legal. In 1.2 - helpfully not in any rules PDF, just online in the forums - Ian said that the position you shoot from is chosen at resolution, not declaration. Therefore if I speculative shoot from behind cover, I don't need to pick the position until resolution (after I move). This change essentially removes lots of positioning weirdness and really further codifies that this is RAW legal. Whether you allow it or not is, of course, up to you and the TO etc.

Maybe I'm weird, but given that they added pre-emptive AROs as well, I HAVE started allowing pre-emptive active turn actions. Though my preference would be they rolled back the entire system and returned to N3, where everything needs to legal immediately.

Methuselah and RobertShepherd like this.
  4. QueensGambit

I'm curious whether you apply this to active turn shots with a DTW as well? Or does ijw's 1.2 clarification that template position must be fixed at declaration mean that the blast focus also has to touch the shooter at declaration?

(I'm not posting it to the rules forum because I don't think that an answer can be found on this one, it's just TO's choice until CB eventually gets around to fixing it. FWIW I think you're right about speculative hit mode shots - but I have no idea re DTW shots).

5. RobertShepherd

I think you're thinking of the position of the target. Here's the relevant section from FAQ 1.2:

Do you need to specify all details of a Skill when declaring it? For example where the target is for a BS Attack, or where the template is being placed for White Noise?

Yes, with the exception of the target’s position, which is chosen in the Resolution step, before measuring Ranges. If the order of declaration is important, the active player chooses who declares first.​

6. QueensGambit

Post-1.2 we have this official clarification: FAQ 1.2 News | Corvus Belli Community Forum

The relevant parts are:
    • The position that a Trooper performs a Skill (for example where the Trooper shoots from) is chosen in the Resolution step, before measuring ranges.
    • You can choose the position of the Short Skill in the Resolution step, but Templates must still be placed on declaration.

RobertShepherd and Methuselah like this.
  7. Methuselah

Methuselah Well-Known Member

You can also just declare an idle for the first short skill which explicitly breaks marker states. Then you get to keep your marker state up to the order you intend to break it and your opponent cannot delay,

8. HeadChime

Warcor

Idle cancels markers? It's a short movement skill, so I thought it didn't. Am I being really daft here?

Diphoration likes this.
  9. QueensGambit

If Idle doesn't work, discover does.

Diphoration likes this.
  10. HeadChime

Warcor

Yeah, a useless discover vs a trooper works. Though I'm leery of declaring discover vs troopers.

11. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

I think it should be valid, because you can do "discover" to reveal if the trouper is in fact, one in disguise with "holomask", so... ;)

Diphoration likes this.
  12. QueensGambit

Eh, that one's pretty unimpeachable. There's no requirement for Discover that the target might be hiding something, and if there were, it would just mean you could use the tactic against any faction that has at least one Holomask unit in its roster, and no other faction.

Robock and Diphoration like this.
  13. RobertShepherd

Thanks mate. By god this game is fucking hard to play sometimes. The other day I had a rules question that could only be answered if you ignored the classified card, and most current english language ITS PDF, but remembered a forum post from 2021. Fuck me dead, what a state.

Diphoration and QueensGambit like this.
  14. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Number 2 makes me want to vomit. Definately think that being forced to pick the position you fire from is much better for the game (as it was before the IJW suggestion). (But we've already discussed this plenty :stuck_out_tongue:)

(Great tactics)

RobertShepherd and Jumara like this.
  15. Methuselah

Methuselah Well-Known Member

Idle has this text: If the Trooper is in Marker form, it is revealed, and its Model is placed where the Marker was.

BUT, its a subpoint for if you're unable to meet the requirements of a skill. So I'm not sure that it works the way I thought it did. But, it does also support the declare discover tactic. Even if it's not actually legal for you to declare the discover, it would turn into an idle at resolution and the result of breaking your marker state will be the same.

16. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

It's def tied to the point that it's a subpoint of. And even if it wasn't, it'd be releaved at resolution, which wouldn't allow to discover yourself to prevent the opponent form delaying anyway.

Discover breaks your camo at the declaration, which is what would allow the interaction of preventing the opponent from delaying.

Jumara likes this.
  17. QueensGambit

When approaching a Jammer with and Irregular such as McMurrough, spend Regular orders first. If he gets Isolated, he can still spend his Irregular order to murder the jammer unit.

18. HeadChime

Warcor

To piggyback off this. It's more generally wise to spend regular orders on your hackable models instead of tactical awareness / LT orders. An Isolated TAG can still spend LT and/or tac aware orders, but not regulars. So if you're piloting any TAG you should save all the non-regular bits for last.

QueensGambit likes this.
  19. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

But Discover requires LoF. so you forfeit your marker state while in plain sight ? Unlike Dodge which can be done while not seen.

Unless combined with a pre-emptive declaration that I'll do a Discover on that Target when I reach that Corner; and then you decide to simply not reach the corner.

20. QueensGambit

Yeah, if you already have LoF on your target and you want to make them declare before you do (i.e. so you can template if they shoot, and hit mode if they dodge), then you declare Discover first to reveal yourself so that they can't delay.

If you don't have LoF, there's no way to fork them in one order. You can Move into LoF but that won't reveal you, so they can delay. You can still shoot them, but you have to choose hit vs. template before they declare their ARO. It'll take two orders to fork them. You can Dodge for your first order so that you're revealed, then on your second order Move into LoF (if the Dodge didn't already get you there) and shoot. You're right, it should also work to declare a preemptive Discover, which is better if you have Stealth and don't want to let them Dodge in ARO. But in either case you lose Surprise Attack for your second order. Better is probably to just Move into LoF with the first order, then on the second order, Discover to reveal yourself and fork them with Surprise Attack.

Best will often be to Move into LoF and template with the first order. You don't get the fork so they have good odds of Dodging, but it reveals you so you can still fork them on the second order. And you still have a chance to hit them if they fail their Dodge on the first order. This may not be best where their Dodge could get them to a better position, though.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation