1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switch on target question

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Ghost_from_warp, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Ghost_from_warp

Ghost_from_warp Classified

So there are few switches like Maximus
    upload_2018-8-5_23-21-21.png

or Massacra
    upload_2018-8-5_23-22-2.png

and another type like laksmee switch
    upload_2018-8-5_23-22-40.png

so, am i right thinking that Maximus and Massacra swithes works only on target of the roll (like massacra disengage and gets trigger, he can only impose that trigger on character that rolls Brawl) and Laksmee can use switch on anything in range?

2. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

I quote the Reference guide:
    1. TARGETS

Most Actions, Attacks and Tactics require you to designate a valid Target for their Effect.

• Unless otherwise stated, all Characters both Allied and Enemy and all Obstacles are valid Targets.

Related topics: Effects.
      So in Maximus's case the Target of Jotum's Shield may be an Enemy Character or an Obstacle. It is an Attack and you cannot choose an Ally as a Target of your Attack. Laxmee's D/BUff3r is an action so you can choose an Ally but an Obstacle cannot receive a state so it is not a valid target. Massacre's general switch is more passive so that whenever he gets to make a roll of the dice he may use his switch. It is also easy to forget the cardinal rule that switches go first. Also that no matter who is the underdog for a given round it is the active player that gets to choose who uses switches first. This can be a big deal such as a clash between two Mushashis.

3. Ghost_from_warp

Thats not the answer for my question. My question is not about "Who can be target of action and switch"

Example.
    Maximus hit someone with the shield, and get his switches. Who can be valid target for switch? Only Target of attack or any target?

I guess i'am already find the answer, since maximus and Massacra switches tell "the target" you have to use switch exact on the target of the roll. While laskmee switches can target "a target" which means she can target with switches different from main roll target.

I just need this proved or explained how it works.

4. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Your understanding is correct and this is mentioned quite clearly in the rules.

Under the reference guide for attacks:
    - The Character that declared an Attack is the Attacker, and its Target is the Defender.
    - During an Attack, the Attacker becomes the Defender’s Target

Using your example:
    Maximus uses Jotums Shield on a target.This is the target for that attack. If he is defending against an attacker the attacker becomes the target of his defense. This means that the selected target (the defender) is the only one that can be affected

Laxmee's D/buff3r switches mention A target not THE target which clearly means that you can choose a valid target within the range specified.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

#4 rag1n, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    -V- and Ghost_from_warp like this.
  5. Ghost_from_warp

Thanks for carification

rag1n likes this.
  6. Miller66

Miller66 New Member

I thought that as effects are mandatory, Laxmee could use an obstacle as a target for D/Buff3r.

In a similar way, I think Taowu can use Hallucinations even if there are no more smoke counters to deploy.

7. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Please read carefully the first item in the Rules Glossary from the Reference Guide entitled Actions and I quote:
    ACTIONS

RULES GLOSSARYSEQUENCE OF AN ACTION

REFERENCE GUIDE

v 1.2

The active Character may use their Action Points to perform any of the Actions described in their Character card. Scenario rules can add more Actions to a Character’s repertoire. Additionally, all Characters may perform the Move Action and the Contender Attack.

All Actions have a name , Type, Cost , Range and Effect .

• Action names are purely descriptive and have no bearing on their Effect.

• Actions are printed on Character cards with a green title.

• Attacks are a special type of Action, and are printed with a

red title.

• In order to perform an Action, the character must first pay

its full cost in Action Points.

• As long as the Character pays the cost, they may repeat the

same Action as many times as they want.

• Characters cannot perform a new Action until they have finished performing their previous Action.

• By default, if an Action calls for a Roll, consider it to mean aSimple Roll.

• Only those Targets inside the Action’s Range are considered valid Targets.

• When applying the Effects of an Action, read and carry out each sentence before moving on to the next.

• Effects denoted by a :6: Symbol always apply, regardless of the number of :2: rolled.

• Effects denoted by a :5: Symbol apply only if you rolled at least one :2:.

• :5: Effects are not mandatory, so you may choose not to apply them even if you rolled one or more :2:.

• Regardless of the number of :2: rolled, Effects apply only once per Action.

• In addition to Effects, Actions may permit one or more Switches. These Switches apply to that Action’s rolls only.
    To resolve an Action, follow this sequence:

NOTE:

The Underdog decides the order In any given step, the Underdog gets to decide the order of resolution of simultaneous actions.

1. REQUIREMENTS

As the active player, you choose which Action you want to perform and check that all requirements are met: you have enough Action Points to pay the Cost, the Target is within Range and Line of Sight, and any other special requirements the Action calls for. If all requirements are met during this step, you may move on to the next. If you fail to meet any of the Action’s requirements, you cannot perform that Action.

2. DECLARATION

You declare the Action you intend to perform and pay the necessary Action Points. Now is the time to declare any intended Targets.

IMPORTANT!

From this step onwards, the Action is completed even if some of the requirements are no longer met. For example, an opponent could play a Tactic that Displaces the Target of your Action out of its Range, but that wouldn’t stop the Action from taking Effect.

3. ROLL

If the Action calls for any Rolls, either Simple or Face to Face, make them now. Check the Roll against your Character’s Switches and decide whether you will activate any of them.

4. EFFECTS

If the Action called for a Roll, you may apply :5: Effects as long as you got at least one :2: in your Roll.

Conversely, :6: Effects are mandatory and always apply.
    If the Action didn’t call for any Rolls, apply its Effects now.

5. RESOLUTION

At the end of this step, the Action is completed.