1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swiss Guard Conversion Help

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Shirley, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

This reminds me I have to find brass refills for a brush pen. I got fiber glass "tips", nice for other things except that you need gloves and glasses and work under water, or suffer "painful itches" next day. That or buy some tips used in minidrills.

That finger looks pretty good.

Golem2God likes this.
  2. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

Is the brush pen used for scratching lines in things? I've heard that some people use them to add detail to bases. The only "Brush pen/pencil" thing I have is a pencil brush, which is a contraption that holds 0.9mm leads in a flat row - used for illustration and shading.

I am not familiar with these fiberglass tips. They work underwater...?

That aside, I am quite happy with the finger, yes. All my ORCs have some weird nickname because none of them are really standard ORC models - I think I'll call this guy "Le Pointe".

Edit: 7 hours later, the Milliput is dry! Might as well showcase Le Pointe one more time before he goes under primer.

Here is Le Pointe with his friends, Mudfish and Unnamed Kamau MSV2 Sniper. He's not much taller than the ORC and looks like one from a distance, which is great. The pointing makes him an obvious Lt. though, so that's a downside. (It's gotta be that guy with the commanding pose, right?)

[​IMG]

And here is Le Pointe on his own. Pegs have been installed onto his feet, which had been damaged by the assembly service used by the previous seller. Milliput, as usual, works wonders in cases like these. As you can see, he is very firmly attached to the base.

[​IMG]

And here is a close up of the base - they're inspired by Secret Weapon 25mm Flagstone. I intend to stuff moss into the cracks as I usually do - they actually don't look too bad, if I say so myself.

[​IMG]

Example of a finished base:

[​IMG]

Le Pointe & Co. will feature in the paint log once I'm done with them! I hope the paint job goes well.

#22 Shirley, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Section9 and Golem2God like this.
  3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This pen. You rotate the black end and the "hairs" go in or out, spreading differently and being harder/softer in the thing. Yes, they work underwater, in the fiber case I suggest that unless you want nasty tiny spikes of glass everywhere. The fiber glass tip looks like a white stick in photos, but believe me, it's a lot of "hairs", and they break easily with use. The shop suggests water both for brass or fiber. I know other places also sell steel tips, those will rust if you don't dry them well later (use oil instead?), and for pewter it's overkill. There are also wheel (disc), cup and point brushes for minidrills, in steel and brass, that can be used by hand in delicate parts.

The "scratching lines" pen is a scriber, single sharp tip of very hard material, like carbide. Normally used to mark things, like "drill hole here", but in miniatures it's useful to mark panels in airplanes, bases, etc.

4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Looks good!

A set of dentist's picks may help get that hard-to-remove primer out, as will brass brushes. Brass brushes are usually cheapest in gun-cleaning supplies.

Yeah, if you get one of those fiberglass scratchers, you do NOT want to use it in open air, those microscopic fibers will get everywhere. In your skin just itches forever, but in your lungs is bad. Asbestos is microscopic fibers, just like fiberglass.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation