1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stripping orders

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Swiftage, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

IMO, the vulnerability to order stripping is still there even if you pay for the units with skills that negate it somewhat. It's the hard-counter of counter-intelligence that is the only true protection, particularly since that has the added benefit of having your opponent wasting command tokens.
    If order stripping was done by removing a Regular order per order group (and Counter-Intelligence either protecting the unit's own order group or forcing opponent to pick one order group instead of all of them) instead of allowing you to stack both removals from a single order group it would have a more even effect, I think.

It still matters more what you intent to do with your orders than how many you have. An order group that only has one single order can either be pointless in comparison to a true limited insertion list for order stripping purposes because all it has is basically what Nuada's list three steps above has (an order reserve that won't be spending orders much) or it could be fairly important if it's got the EVO Hacker that's meant to supply your Dakini HMG with Marksmanship or your Santiago with Controlled Jump.

As a last note I found Invincible Army in N3 to be stronger at 11 or 12 orders because you can still do enough on 11-ish effective orders in the primary group if you go first, but if you go second you need to refill the first group to stand a chance because something will die.

#21 Mahtamori, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Waiting until I've played more than a handful of N4 games to decide for sure, but for now I'm very hesitantly happy with the current state.

Given that the alpha strike factor seems like it's going to be pretty strong in N4, spending a command token to either park someone in suppressive or dock two orders may well be necessary to blunt alphas, particularly against certain factions that are capable of strong, order-efficient alpha strike actions. If we lose the option to dock two orders then that's likely to deform list-building around needing to include one or more options for first-turn suppressive fire placement, which would have the knock-on effect of penalizing factions that have weaker options for that trooper role.

I think that there's a meaningful distinction in the impact of order stripping on lists, depending on whether they're built around fireteams. A vanilla/no fireteams list usually has reduced order efficiency in the first place, so going from 10 to 8 orders and lacking the ability to compensate with fireteams sucks. And I don't think I'm anywhere near able to form a valuable opinion yet about how much that difference actually matters.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation