1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some characters OP/UP?

Discussion in 'Smoke & Mirrors' started by Disko King, Apr 4, 2019.

1. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Gata is unbelievably good, fast, dazzles to shut down ranged players and is surprisingly survivable when engaged thanks to feline reflexes. Just used her in human target and she's perfect for an objective run, especially with "go all out" and quicksilver

treiral likes this.
  2. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

The core characters are definitely more broadly applicable than the expansion characters, but in their niches the expansion characters can feel extremely strong or undertuned. It's actually quite well balanced with that in mind.

3. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

I think the original poster is probably wrong about the characters he points at as underpowered.

Gata is one of my favorite for sure. Such an incredible scorer in assault, capture the flag etc ... And with pain killer she can take one turn punishement, get healed and back to work.

Bu there definitly are some I would evaluate as above the others as musashi (I did 5 attacks in a row on the first activation last game, killing 3 characters ... it was so obnoxious for my opponent) and in a lesser extend Wild bill (as he can be hard countered by smokes)

4. Dayman

Dayman Member

I love coming across these threads re: Aristeia on the forums or on Facebook.

Aside from broadly agreed upon topics such as Mushashi being a human blender, Gata being amazing at scoring, and hexxer being an excellent controller – People’s mileage varies so, so much you might as well be reading discussions about entirely different games.

There seems to be an art to Aristeia of finding the right way of using characters, and finding effective team combinations. Characters can be worth so much more than their individual value. The first 8 characters seem best suited to being solo lone wolves almost, who can excel at one thing. All of the expansions have introduced characters that provide force multipliers – making your roster more valuable than the sum of their individual parts. (Dart becomes more much lethal when working alongside Bachman – Mushashi and Bill LOVE the extra yellow from Laxmee, or the Orange from Hannibal).

The difficulty I think comes from the fact that the game is still relatively fledgling and the collective Metas seems to be fairly localised. Wild Bill might seem Overpowered at times when playing with the Core Box, or using a couple of expansions – but a Silence from Oberon, Shutting him down with Kosmo’s smoke, or Assassinating him with Dart repeatedly will soon dispel that myth.

Likewise, Gata is amazing at scoring until she’s immobilised (a lot more common outside of the Core 8). There’s so much push and pull with the Meta, and I do fear that people are playing a reactionary game (responding to the opponent’s threats with counter-picks) rather than attempting to dictate the game on their own terms.

I’d recommend to those who don’t currently do this, to attempt to use the Tournament rules for selecting a team. The draft selection of the teams is one of the best ideas, and really turns even picking your Rosta into a game of chess with the opponent whereby your selection both must respond to your opponent, and dictate how they must respond to you.

I'd say, to directly respond to the original poster - I feel there are characters who, if left unchecked are very strong - Mushashi, Hammerhead, Dart, to name a few.
    I also think that characters can be very weak if picked for games outside of their skillset, or for teams who don't support them - 8-Ball, or Taiwoo, to name a couple.
    That said, the same two characters can be devastating in the right team and the right mission.

Its a game that rewards picking your team well, based on both the mission and the opponent, and really rewards you for knowing how to solve those problems. It’s a beautiful game, and my favourite I think (and I say that as an Infinity fanatic for the last 6 years!)

5. Chikahiro

Chikahiro Well-Known Member

Parvati and Mendoza got a lot of love from me when playing this past Saturday. Why? Because their status clearing kept Bachman and Hammerhead in check. I loved it :)

csjarrat likes this.
  6. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

I feel like hammerhead will be getting more popular with the minions coming (as conter pick)

7. Chikahiro

Bixie and Gata will like them too, albeit for different reasons. Oberon will too - stopping them from deploying their minions is not an insignificant response :p

Aemaru likes this.
  8. zephen1802

zephen1802 Active Member

Bixie does not bounce off of obstacles, but off of blocked spaces (walls)

9. Chikahiro

True, but the increase of obstacles will make her ability to take alternate routes more valuable IMO. Likewise, Celestial Gift can target the enemy minions. Like I said, different reasons than Gata.

10. Kelthret

Kelthret Usuario

It's quite easy for her to attack an obstacle, specially since minions don't deal damage on defense, to perform a 7 space jump

AdmiralJCJF and Croepoek like this.
  11. Tipzntrix

Tipzntrix Active Member

Here's a couple examples on how to make these characters work:

Gata: Doesn't even really matter if she dies, she's basically the only character who can respawn and immediately walk into a scoring zone without a single tactic (but only if there's an obstacle to free run over). Dazzle state basically makes a ranged character unable to attack for a turn, and her defense roll against melee characters is actually quite good once you consider her switch to remove opposing :2:.

Parvati: Admittedly I also feel like she underperforms, but she has a great synergy with Hannibal, where all of a sudden she's an offensive powerhouse. Without him I don't take her, but she does have a bit of everything.

Oberon: This guy needs a real niche team to make work, but he works as a strong counter to Green action users like Hexx3r, Gata, Laxmee, etc. (including the new Masters of Puppets!). If your opponent went for 2+ pure Green action users, he can fit in as a counter. If they're not threatening with kill pressure, you can use the extra space to draw tactics with his 3 energy action.

Eclypse: Also has the Hannibal trick of being able to shoot twice with a lot of dice, but has a pretty sick combo where she can keep flipping immobilize :G: on melee targets or dazzle :S: on ranged targets for a very inexpensive 1 energy.

Bixie: Can travel even further than Gata, but her movement is more conditional. However, she does have a decent attack and some crazy Tactics that allow you to control the Hexadome by blocking areas or allowing her to move around.

Laxmee: Turns the killing powerhouses into complete engines of death. Adding dice / removing :2: can change the tide of battle in a massive way. If there is no threat around, she can also move quite a fair distance thanks to her movement switches while also contributing to the team. In addition, States are almost pointless against a Laxmee as her Fairy Dust Auto skill makes allies able to remove states on any ally's turn if they have focused, which they usually do. Finally, Atom is just an insane Tactic that can turn a massive dice roll into a terrible one, and Kaleidoscope is also an extremely powerful tactic that can usually stun the opponent's entire team. Try Laxmee with any number of characters that need !: Wild Bill, Mushashi, Maximus, 8-Ball, Eclypse, Kozmo, and the list goes on.

csjarrat and volgo like this.
  12. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Yeah oberon is a great counter pick but I wouldn't have him as one of my go-to pieces. Bachmann or anyone else who depends on a good orange ability is an easy shut-down to him

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation