1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So... umm... (Defiance)

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Mahtamori, Jul 27, 2019.

1. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

It’s a general problem with S2 heavy infantry in power armor, that there proportions doesn’t work most of the time on most miniatures. If the body underneath the armor would be modeled first, the proportions will be right. But once the power armor is added, the figure won’t be looking too human, as the armor is widening every part of the body, while leaving length more or less untouched. Modeling the armor first, the miniature loos human, but once you try to figure out the person underneath it, things won’t add up.

Even S5 Heavy infantry has this problem, even though you can say that the human inside only covers parts of the arms and legs.

Hecaton likes this.
  2. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

The model looks like a squinting Russian man.

Tibooper likes this.
  3. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Well if he's a leader at least he's got the big brain.

4. Disko King

Disko King Well-Known Member

We are attacked by alliens from all side, guy with biggest gun is literally:

[​IMG]

Stiopa, Spitfire_TheCat and Del S like this.
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I can't find the image (I think it's got lost on the old forum), but at some point Bostria had a diagram showing how the S5 HI designs start with a standard human figure and layer everything on top, with the feet being in the 'shin' of the armour's legs, and the hands being halfway up the armour's forearms.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I think that one was used for the Guijia?

7. ijw

That was another image that came later. This was back when the S5 Azra'il was released.

xagroth likes this.
  8. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

I know. Bostria even talked about it, during the Wildfire presentation. The problem for S5 comes with the head and neck. In general CB covers this up to a great optical extend and you have to take a really close lock.

9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Thing is that the head is off-proportion to the rest of the body, even if the miniature is an S2, the head is too large and very round which makes it more reminiscent of how a non-digital sculptor of slightly less experience might do it. The original render was a bit off size as well (very off given the assumption that it was going to be an S5), but not to this degree.

Unless Defiance offers something extreme in terms of gameplay, this looks like a hard-pass and hopefully they won't make character units out of these ones.

Hecaton likes this.
  10. ijw

The render and the painted model appear to be identical apart from the viewing angle and camera position. My guess (as someone who used to be a professional photographer) is that the render was 'shot' with a longer focal length so that the comparative sizes of the parts is shown better, while the painted model was photographed from a closer viewpoint which will distort the comparative sizes of the parts.

The camera position is clearly much higher for the painted model as you can see the top of the HMG and ammo box.

11. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

Well, the Qiang Gao was sculpted by Javier Urena. I haven't had a single miniature from him that I didn't like (luckily he mostly designs Nomads and YuJing). So even if the head might look a bit big I would wait till we see the miniature in action (maybe at Gencon?). I myself liked the render.

Willen likes this.
  12. Mahtamori

The render's eyebrows seem to be at a more... V-shaped. I'm more than willing to accept that the painter that painted it flattened a lot of details, but I've got Sun Tze v1 in front of me and the proportions are elegant on Sun while on this dude it's... blunt.

13. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

You can see him properly again in the new defiance video from different angles:

I didn't like the render to begin with so for me it is certainly a taste thing.

Mahtamori likes this.
  14. Mahtamori

Looks a lot better in the video, so must be an issue with the photography setup then. So he's essentially an S2 HI with a weird HMG that we haven't seen in regular game (yet)

15. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

It’s a heavy shotgun, according to his game card, anyways.

oldGregg and Forté like this.
  16. Mahtamori

You wut mate?!
    That's a heavy shotgun!? Looks like a shotgun taken from a capital ship.

17. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Well, that’s what his starting Equipment card says anyways, if you look at 1:37 minutes into the video.

This also kinda explains why his, assumed, HMG doesn’t look like a normal YJ HMG.
    The new boarding shotgun from YJ took inspiration from the Spas12 shotgun, so one could argue that the heavy shotgun is (kinda?) like the AA12 Full-Auto shotgun, with a belt-fed ammo, rather than drum but that’s pure speculation from my part.

[​IMG]

Forté likes this.
  18. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Haha he's got an automedkit. Just what we wanted another one of those because Krit wasn't garbage enough as it is.

SKOZZOKONZ, Hecaton and Zewrath like this.
  19. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

He looks much better in the video! :sweat: I was a little worried. This is one of those times I get envious of anyone with money. :money_mouth_face:

20. Mahtamori

Uma has two pistols, though, even though that's blatantly two SMGs...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation