1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there be a "Premium" version of Army VI ?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by eciu, May 2, 2018.

?

Would you decide to pay monthly subscription for "ArmyVI PRO" with some additional features

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Go **** yourself you money grabber

33 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

It depends a bit on why the limitations that exist are already in place. Why is there a limit to saved lists or why is X feature missing? Is it that the server has a limit and they don't have the funds to upgrade/expand their servers or because they don't have enough people to implement X feature? In this case I could understand opening an option to pay for more list slots or additional features as they need to upgrade equipment or hire more people.

Either way if everything about army stayed the same but they added some more features behind a paywall that the free users benefit from as a result of faster turnaround on issues that already arise thanks to increased staff/financial incentive, then I'm all for it. If updates, bug fixes and the like maintain the same pace or are bogged down due to bloat, then no, I would not want to see this kind of thing implemented.

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Funny enough, Army used to be maintained by a member of the community, about 2 versions ago.

Then CB hired the man, and they rolled out Army V.

I think the only thing that this version of Army needs but does not have is a way to organize saved lists. It's certainly why I've never saved a list in Army, I always print to PDF and save it on my computer. I appreciate that this potentially takes up a lot of server-space, however, so it might not be very feasible.

eciu, chromedog and loricus like this.
  3. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Given the length of the codes you can use to export your lists, storage space isn't the problem.

Section9, loricus and oldGregg like this.
  4. Section9

True, but I don't know how the saved lists are stored. I'd hope they're stored as code, which keeps any given list well under half a kilobyte. I think it would add more bulk to the serverspace to allow file folders than the stuff inside them! (Not a computer science major)

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Do the codes even work between releases? As in, if you plug in a pre-Uprising code, will it generate a list? Last I tried it when stuff got added, I got all sorts of weird stuff like Moderator icons in a JSA list, and currently lists with Xi won't even load past Xi's position.

oldGregg likes this.
  6. Ieldin Soecr

Ieldin Soecr Well-Known Member

The code works as long as it does not contain any units that have been removed or given another internal ID.
    It should also not work if it has been created for an army that no longer exists (Old JSA) or at least you will get some weird behavior from Army6.

7. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

You know what features I'd like?

1. Better proof reading
    2. The ability to export PDFs on mobile.
    3. Some feature to display/share courtesy lists on mobile. I would like to be able to go to an ITS event without having to print things off. There are always changes I think of after I print my lists!

But yes, as a free app infinity army is great, though could be improved. I'd be willing to pay or donate to improve the support it receives.

8. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

There's not a whole lot of "premium" functionality to add, TBH.

chromedog likes this.
  9. Keyrott

Keyrott Nomad Handyman

I'd like an option to toggle optional charts such as Martial Arts, Guard or Protheion to print out on the army sheet if any troops included have those skills, like a "Print optional charts" button in the options so you can either turn it on or off. Would've helped me a lot when I was first learning the rules and my army list could be my guide instead of having to look on the wiki for the chart every time.

Deltervees likes this.
  10. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

There sort of is, just not for those three. But they'd be useful.

11. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

who voted yes? kill 'im lads

Balewolf, Cothel, loricus and 6 others like this.
  12. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Now now, mob rule is not a healthy way to conduct things. We must be democratic.

I vote we kill them! :D

loricus, chromedog, Stiopa and 3 others like this.
  13. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

The flipocracy has voted

Kill em all

Stiopa, Deltervees and daboarder like this.
  14. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

VIVA LA REVOLUTION

Stiopa and Deltervees like this.
  15. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

NO PASARAN!

Errhile likes this.
  16. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Not an ITS player myself, but - with all due respect - I can't agree with that.
    Because this assumes that:
    1. Everyone else (at an ITS event, or any other game) are comfortable with using a mobile for their opponent's courtesy list.
    2. You can actually share the list on your mobile with whatever standard is their device using.
    For me, both of those do not work.

I have - for a time - used a Kindle reader for army lists, but I stoped when Aleph Toolbox army builder went out of date - the way Army IV/V generate the PDF mean I either see a small part of the list, or the print is way too tiny for my eyes.
    As for a mobile phone - the one I'm using won't cut it at all: everytime some company tells me to "just install an app and it will miraculously cure all your problems with..." I reply with an offer of a bottle of quality booze if they provide a tech to make my mobile run any app. So far, no one decided to pick that gauntlet.

On the other hand, a sheet of paper and Mk.1 Eyeball works every time.

I mean, it is not my business what you find comfortable to have your army list on. If having it on a mobile is what you like, shiny. But as your opponent, I'm not bound to share your preferences.

FatherKnowsBest and chromedog like this.
  17. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Personally I'd love to see pictures or profiles for each unit integrated in to the Army on the list building level even as an optional button or something (for free, mind you ;) ). I know it's time consuming when you are new to the game or not so familiar with certain fraction to browse each entry in another window just to see how do they look like. Getting pictures in the Army would help quite a bit. I think even Bostria mentioned it at some point but somehow this feature was never added.

I remember when I was learning Tohaa units and all I could see was a bunch of weird logos. It was like "Kaeltar, Kamael, Kosuil, Sakiel, Sukeul. Oh wait, how does Taqeul looks like again?"

Deltervees, Section9 and Wolf like this.
  18. Section9

At the very least, a link to the CB store or the image catalog.

I can't keep track of what unit icon is what, I have to hover my mouse over the icon and read the name. And that's for factions I play!

Barrogh, FatherKnowsBest and Wolf like this.
  19. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

I set it vertical for that very reason. It also means "find in page" works.

When it wants to, at least, since on Android Chrome it has a habit of derping out.

Robock likes this.
  20. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

I don't know about under half a KB, but you could assign each army a unique 2 byte identifier, and each unit in the army a two byte identifier, and each profile a 2 byte identifier, and have some null 4 byte identifier to mark combat groups (FFFF probably.)

This is honestly way more space than you need, gives plenty of room to grow (up to 256 units and 256 profiles per unit), and can store a 20 unit list in two combat groups in under 200 bytes.

That's smaller than some file headers.

Allowing folders wouldn't add more overhead in most modern file systems.

Why not handle this on the ITS side instead? You press a button on your phone that says "share list" and they get a notification they've received a list in the app. Also waaaaay easier to setup than establishing an ad hoc network or using infrared because the infrastructure is already there.

Gunmage and Section9 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation