1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock Army: Out of Retirement for Esprit de Corps ITS.

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by grampyseer, May 21, 2019.

1. grampyseer

grampyseer User of the "ignore" button
    Warcor

Hey All. After a long hiatus, I opted to jump back into an ITS event in one of our neighboring cities. The missions were: Supplies, Transmission Matrix, Highly Classified, and Power pack.

I opted to include some less popular choices, so you'll note the GDA and Teucer. Otherwise, this is a pretty standard build for me. Sniper link, a few toolboxes, redundant hitter, designated hitter.

Here's list 1:
    \
    Working Supplies+Transmission matrix
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    REGULAR Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    REGULAR Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 16)
    REGULAR Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    BAGH-MARI (Minelayer) MULTI Sniper Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)
    DART Submachine Gun, Viral Tactical Bow, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 34)
    NAGA (Minelayer) Boarding Shotgun, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    NAGA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 30)
    AKAL COMMANDO Combi Rifle + E/Mitter / Pistol, E/M CCW. (0 | 24)
    REGULAR Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    GUARDA DE ASSALTO Spitfire + Heavy Flamethrower, D-Charges + AUXBOT_2 / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 51)
    [​IMG] AUXBOT_2 Light Shotgun + Eclipse Light Grenade Launcher / Electric Pulse. (- | 6)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3
    SIERRA DRONBOT HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
    PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    MACHINIST Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
    TRAUMA-DOC Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

And list two

Working power pack+Classified
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    REGULAR Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    REGULAR Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    REGULAR Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    BAGH-MARI (Minelayer) MULTI Sniper Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)
    DART Submachine Gun, Viral Tactical Bow, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 34)
    NAGA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 30)
    TIKBALANG HMG, Heavy Flamethrower, Antipersonnel Mines / AP CCW. (2 | 85)
    [​IMG] CRABBOT Flash Pulse / Knife. ()
    TEUCER (Multispectral Visor L2) Feuerbach, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 48)
    TRAUMA-DOC Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    REGULAR (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 11)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1
    MACHINIST Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
    PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'll post game overviews in the comments as I get a spare moment over the next couple of days.

SirLuisXV, AdmiralJCJF and barakiel like this.
  2. Pyra

Pyra Warmongering Potatoe

I would definitely try to drop the lone machinist group from the second list. It is just weakening your 1st turn in case of winning the initiative. Also, you have way too many order intensive options in that second list - Teucer/Tikbalang/Dart/Naga all of them will strive for orders in one group.
    Also instead of FO regular, the minelayer option is soo much better - it improves your defence and provides an important tech which is a sensor.

As a tryouts list, they are not bad but really subpar to more "standard" lists.

EDIT: I have not realised it is a tournament report - my bad (too much work).

#2 Pyra, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Lesh' and grampyseer like this.
  3. grampyseer

Warcor

Game 1. Supplies Versus vanilla Nomads. (Slipp)

I deployed for second turn with my fire team keeping their heads down on the left flank. The GDA and Sierra were protected near the middle, and my skirmishers were hidden out of reach close to the supply boxes. (Although the BM sniper is a great ARO, I tend to try to leave her very minimally exposed. The thought being to make that Intruder burn 2-3 orders before he's even in her fire lane, THEN roll his dice.)

Turn 1.

The Intruder advanced under Morlock smoke to gun down the sierra, then set up suppression fire near midfield. The Zero cracked open a box, and made a run for his baseline. A couple of camo markers crept near the far Right supply coffin (they were inside an objective room), making a very suspicious ARO presence over the objective. One of the Morlocks sprinted up the center to get in a spot that would prevent the machinist from engaging the downed Sierra. Finally, Mary Problems joined in the Suppression fire bonanza at mid field.

Dart climbed down down from her perch and gunned down the Intruder's backside, before slinking close to the right-hand objective and re-camoing.

The GDA broke cover, had his auxbot scrapped by a long ARO from a second Intruder MSR (gasp!), and shredded the morlock and Mary Problems. (GDA has No F's to give about your -12, Mary Problems: remember that!) He then moved up near the left side supply crate, hoping to cover it from some suspicious camo markers lurking there.

The link inched up, and sniped the Intruder through some trees, re-positioning just a tad towards midfield. The machinist repaired the Sierra.

Turn 2.

A Hellcat with spitfire dropped right next to the link, and gunned down the sniper and Paramedic. She tried to engage the GDA, but I tanked some hits and turned around.

A tomcat landed near the downed Intruder sniper and picked him back up.
    A Heckler revealed on the right flank, and tried to isolate dart without effect. He was joined by another camo marker whom I assumed was a bandit due to the irregular order.

Boom! Dart Kicks the objective room door open, and shreds the Heckler with SMG fire as he tosses out a fast panda. The marker reveals as a Helot, and whiffs his ARO shot. My final Naga, now clear of the Heckler, advances and caps the left side supply box.

The GDA blasts the Hellcat away, then begins to pursue the Zero who'd retreated with a package. He rounds the objective room, just clear of the repeater net from the Heckler's panda. He poured some rounds into the Tomcat doctor and Intruder sniper, killing both with split burst. (BS 15 in +3 range FTW!).

Turn 3.

The Helot attempts to return fire on dart, but eats a viral arrow and 4 rounds from the TR bot, misting him.
    A second zero slinks up to the right-side crate, and withdraws the supply box. (it's 2-1 nomads right now).
    The intruder is able to immobilize the Guarda with a crit, and the Zero is able to gun him down with more crits, ensuring that his box is safe...for now.

Zoom! the Akal walks on from midfield and perforates the zero at midfield, he then pushes into the nomad back lines and drops the other one.

And that's the game.

Results 10-1

Very tight game that was closer than the score implies. I challenged Slipp as I know him to be a great player, and our last tourney encounter saw me playing a very, very weak game. I was glad to perform a bit better this time.

The GDA did a lot of heavy lifting, accounting for Mary Problems, a Morlock, a Hellcat, a Tomcat, and an Intruder. He was very lucky to survive the rear arc shots, and I misplayed him by getting him too close to the hacking network. (He was my primary plan for hunting the running Zero).

All in all, a stellar performance from a piece I haven't used in years.

#3 grampyseer, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    volgo, barakiel, Section9 and 2 others like this.
  4. grampyseer

Warcor

Thanks for your advice.

I understand your suggestions, but we most certainly play the game differently:). As this is a bit of an informal report on a tourney, I'm not able to actually process any list criticism: this already happened, man!

Pyra likes this.
  5. Zsimbi

Zsimbi Well-Known Member

Allways happy to see others running the GDA as well!

Nicely done getting the victory :)

Urobros and grampyseer like this.
  6. grampyseer

Warcor

Game 2. Transmission Matrix. Invincible Army (Majesticmaeric)

This was a game against one of our locals who had traveled down for the tournament with me (ain't that always the way?). The table was on the upper limits of open, with some very wide fire lanes. IA opted to go first, so I deployed with my sniper link castled on my left flank, GDA well hidden on the right. Skirmishers were again in a midfield picket, with no real safe approach to the center objective. (It was very open at center table). My Naga minelayer was deployed as the DT to make a hit on the civilian, and the Sierra was set up near center to give the Mowang some grief if he tried to move it (the mowang was the IA datatracker.)

Turn 1.

Dang. A zencha walked through three members of the regular team, who were all completely prepared for him. It didn't matter. Every other dice rolled was a boarding shotgun crit, so after a few orders it was only the Lt and Spitfire left alive. (I'd also forgotten to deploy the sniper's mine, so that was a serious mistake.)

The Zuyong core walked into the clear open center and opened up on the sierra, dropping it in a couple of orders. All Pan-O board control was out of commission at the end of the IA turn.

The Naga DT counterattacked, spending 3 orders to kill the designated target, his inefficiency leaving him out of gas to make a run for a lightly guarded IA antenna.

The Akal commando dropped behind the Mowang and coordinated orders with Dart and the regular spitfire. After 2 orders, the Mowang was wounded, isolated, and immobilized. (Yaaay for emitters) The spitfire then managed to trade fire with the pesky zencha and achieve nothing.

SAA zones 1
    IA zones 1

Turn 2.

The zuyong core pushed to center, exposing inactive link members with impunity, but occupying the center console. Dart missed 3-4 unopposed viral bow shots as the zuyong link gunned down the akal, discovered the hacker naga, killed the hacker naga, killed the designated target, and finally dealt with Dart herself. (ugggghhhhhh). My inability to even challenge with aros left the zencha enough orders to slip back to midfield, and kill my last naga, who'd just finished with the DT.

The GDA and his plucky auxbot then counterattacked, sliding up to within template range of the zuyong core. After a few orders their MSV sniper, zuyong HMG, baggage bot, and zuyong combi were all unconscious, the center now unclaimed. The Regular Lt then attempted to shoot the zencha in the back, but the shots went wide or bounced off of armor (1 wound down on that little mo-fo).

SAA zones 1
    IA zones 1

Turn 3.

The daoying LT advanced, landing rear arc shots on the poorly positioned GDA, felling him in a single order. The zuyong paramedic, last in his unit, managed to re position at center and pick up the combi rifle member. IA now held the center with 2 HI models, one of whom was un-wounded.

The zhencha then advanced back to my left sided objective, outweighing the remainder of the regular team, and effectively holding the 4th IA objective marker.

I had 1 play and only 1-2 orders to make it after accounting for retreat. The regular spitfire reloaded, stood, and calmly split burst into the wounded zencha, wounded zuyong, and unwounded zuyong. If he could land 4 wounding hits on burst 4 , firing at 3 HI targets, this game was mine!

Saa zones 1
    IA zones 4

Results.
    SAA 5
    IA 5

After working out classifieds, and the fact that I'd made the DT kill with my data tracker, I'd eked out a draw. Wow what a great and bloody game! Those zuyong are real bitches, but nothing compared to the brutal start that the crit happy zencha gave me. As an observation, if I'd protected my GDA better, I'd have had a much better chance of holding the center. As it stood, he was still a stud. That game looked like a done deal until he and T-bot attacked that core. Killing 4 HI in a handful of orders was amazing.

All in all, 2 great games on the day so far. At half time I was doing MUCH better than I'd expected.

#6 grampyseer, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    volgo, barakiel, Section9 and 3 others like this.
  7. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

I'am convinced people play GDA more than most of players could believe.

@grampyseer, thanks for the reports.

grampyseer likes this.
  8. Pinky

Pinky Well-Known Member

I made a mistake of taking a harris of Bagh Mari instead of a GDA on my last ITS and it, alongside a few other mistakes cost me the game. Now that there is no other HI to pump orders into it's either the GDA or the Tik for me.

Urobros likes this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the short batreps!

Well done!!!

Crits happen, but I am very impressed that the Zencha did so well. I agree that not having your mine deployed really hurt you, Zencha drop dead to mines (no Shock Immunity).

grampyseer and Maksimas like this.
  10. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Thanks for the writeups. The style of them is very excellent... It's nice to get a clear understanding of the sequence of events, without reading paragraphs and paragraphs of information. You give a very succinct account of how each unit performs, which is the best part of any Batrep.

Not having that Mine in place is a tough one. I think Acon's defense is one of the best elements of the entire army... Mines can protect against units that even Varuna struggles to defend against, so my own Acon lists tend to have at least 2 Minelayers in the DZ just to get that extra layer of insulation.

Perhaps the highlight for me is seeing the Akalis get to Immobilize/Isolate a seriously juicy, valuable target. A Mowang's right up at the top of the list in terms of awesome things to slap with an E/Mitter shot. Very nice.

Any thoughts on what you would change for the future? I think you have some great units selected. I never want to suggest or overhaul how another person plays the game, but it's nice to remember all the great tools that Acon can use. Dropping even one mid-cost unit would make room for 3 Fugazi, which (in my opinion) is one of the great reasons to play Shock Army in the first place. Might be a nice way to bulk up your 2nd Combat Group...

grampyseer likes this.
  11. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

Personally, not that big a fan of the second list. Would have just tossed the Trauma Doc, moved the Machinist into Group one and up-scaled the Regular Paramedic to a Bagh-Mari Paramedic to make up for the cost. Yes, it makes you lose out on the doc, but at least it maintains that one group cohesion ( I personally don't like going beyond 1 group if the second one doesn't AT BARE MINIMUM have 3 orders of any kind, and even then it's cause for reconsideration until it hits an effective order pool of 5 ( Impetous, Lieutenants, TacAwares, NCOs included ). ).

First list looks great though IMHO. Looks like something I'd myself even try running. Maybe. The report makes it look to me like our play styles differ a lot, so I'll keep that at maybe.
    But it makes logical sense and overall seems solid as a Dragoes ARM stat.

Every time a Mine ends up clipping my Zhencha by the very tippy tip of it's template I get a miniature heart attack.
    Thank superior Yu Jing engineering for the fact at least the ARM gives you a 45% chance of not dying and that's after a PH13-3 Dodge...

Barring the relatively low survival ability of the GDA ( What other 49-51 point HI only has 3 in both ARM and BTS...? ), they always seemed decently solid to me at least:
    Got a nice DTW, got good BS, got an Auxbot that can either be used to set up ''Get flamed if you focus the Aux or get unopposed LSG shots if you focus the GDA. Take your pick.'' questions or for just passive ''Ech, I won't be able to do much good on my second short skill this order anyways, so... opportunistic eclipse 'nade go!''

That seems decently solid.
    Or I'm high on Heavy Infantry again.

That's always a decent idea.

Personally I never even bother having my initial AROs extend beyond the halfway point, barring diagonals, simply for the reason of if I see your DZ, that means you see my ARO, which means that guy is dead faster than I want him dead.
    That, and I find holding dominance over your own half far more important than the enemies half, stuff always go every single dimension of sideways whenever I lose grip on my own table half.

Who ever said you can't solve problems in this game with good old fashioned brute force?

I feel as though this is fitting here.

Flamethrowers man, they're great.

grampyseer likes this.
  12. barakiel

The GdA was pretty hot when he was one of the few 4-4 MOV HI in the game.

I've used him in some ITS setups in the last couple of years. I guess the big issue I had was that I just didn't find myself in that many Close Quarter engagements. And when I did, I didn't find the GdA to be preferable over simply Camo-and-mine fighting with Naga and Dart. This was particularly true since the GdA often caught TO Camo AROs in the teeth (short-range weapons, no neg mods meant that every Noctifier and Posthuman Mk2 Sniper on the continent was revealing to take a shot.) The GdA returning fire vs a TO target out-of-range in cover and needing 3s is pretty ugly. So you have to try and anticipate that kind of stuff with Eclipse Smoke, which can be pretty order-intensive on its own. Not the end of the world, but it feels less efficient than having a Camo Infiltrator in place already.

Not to mention every Hacker on the table being happy to take on a 50 point, BTS3 Heavy Infantry trailing a little Robot that's also Hackable...

That's probably a meta thing though. I don't imagine every player out there needs to worry about such things.

#12 barakiel, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Urobros and grampyseer like this.
  13. Maksimas

Most likely.

The meta here woefully cuts corners on the Infowar aspects of the game. So much so I'd feel safe bringing a Liu Xing against Nomads even, since I know even their famed Infowar will have cut corners-

Might be because people just really goddamn love TR bots here for some odd reason so they only take the barest essentials to get it?

14. grampyseer

Warcor

Thanks man.

barakiel and Maksimas like this.
  15. grampyseer

Warcor

Game 3. Highly Classified. OSS (Forgot his ITS name)

I hate this mission. Our draws were Capture, HVT Espionage, Extreme Prejudice, Test Run.
    My secondary was data scan.

So, a less than auspicious start, drawing 2 objectives that require a null state model while playing against a faction loaded to the nuts with NWI.

I deployed my sniper link on my Right flank, with limited LOF for the BM sniper to work (as is my custom).
    Tuecer was hidden on the left flank, with the Tik and engineer in the middle.
    Dart was positioned on the top floor of the central command bunker, while my Naga hacker was deployed near both HVTs on the far right flank, with a clean run across some catwalks to access the OSS fire base.

A dakini link was turtled near center with a posthuman engineer. An Asura and CSU on a roof above them (connected to the gantries). That was all he deployed. (Count em! 3 Missing models)

Turn 1.
    Naga hacker runs the flank, completing Espionage against the HVT. A dasyu hacker attempts to get him in ARO, but he nukes her with Redrum
    Naga advances further, a second Dasyu reveals, attempting to BSG him. NO dice, son! The naga shreds him.
    Naga runs up, plants a mine near the CSU, completes Data Scan on her, and re camos.

Teucer re-positions to draw a 30-40" LOF to where the asura is cowering. He and the BM are hoping to give her a headache if she stands up.

(Great first turn)

A dakini climbs up, triggering the naga's mine, and getting scrapped. The posthuman then fixes it, scoring one for team robots.
    The asura cybermasks to evade the AROs, then advances on the Naga, eventually killing him.

Turn 2.
    The Tikbalang advances, drawing another revealed ARO from a Dasyu BSG and Posthuman sniper. The Dasyu crits him in the process (boooo). Teucer then re-positions again to nuke the dasyu (WAAY betternumbers than the tik shooting within 8"). The Tik advances, and wastes the sniper.

**Here's where I fowl up. I can retreat the Tikbalang, and repair it for my classified. But I'm distracted by the fact that I've now killed 5 models, and there's not a body in sight. So, I decide to rush the perfectly compacted dakini team**

The Tik rounds the corner on the baseline bunker, and the 2 Dakini with LOF shoot. They score a crit, and two more hits, which I fail to save one of (FFUUUU*&*&%) Well, at least I've hit 5 models with a Heavy flamer template. That's gotta do some work, right?

Wrong! 1 Dakini goes down. The other 4 and posthuman all tank their saves.

(WHAT HAVE I DONE???)

Dart moves nearer to center, hoping to give me some counter play in turn 3.

The posthuman kicks the downed Tik, and now it's game on again. The asura moves up, wounding dart but unable to kill her. She's clearly positioned for a turn 3 run on my HVT.

Turn 3.

Okay. No problem. Dart climbs the bunker, and pours AP SMG shots into the back of the CSU...Who CRITS the second wound off of her., (come on!)

The machinist's palbot sprints across the table, and completes a coup de gras against the downed Dakini.

The BM link advances up the catwalk, and peppers the Asura with combi fire. They can't do more than a single wound to her, so they set up a volley of AROs, knowing they only have one chance to stop her.

...which they fail.

The Asura walks forward, kills two of them, datascans one of them, and completes espionage against the HVT with 3 orders.

...sigh

Results.

I think this one was a 9-3 loss. Great opponent; we had a blast with lots of laughs and jeering along the way. Man did I screw up, and man did the dice give me no leeway to fix it. If I'd only pulled the Tik back, or failing that, if he'd at least killed a couple more Dakinis, then the Asura would have been neutered in the last turn.

Tough to lose on a bonehead play like that, but great to get a fun game in against a super opponent.

volgo and barakiel like this.
  16. barakiel

Ooh. Tricky with the Tik. As you say, hitting all those models is a tempting target, especially since Mimetism helps against incoming unopposed hits.

Any chance of an antipersonnel mine play there? The Tik's already the most competitive TAG imo, thanks to the modest point cost, Mimetism, and all the good support stuff. But when you factor in Antipersonnel Mines... Sometimes you can get most of the effects of a good flamethrower shot, without actually having to step into LoF and take the chance.

It was pretty bolt of your opponent to go for the shots, hoping to tank all those Fire hits. Obviously dropping a TAG is nice, but at the possible risk of 5 models and your Core link, especially when some successful Dodges and Failed Guts might let him spread his team out a bit. Certainly Dakini aren't brilliant at Dodging, but still...

Really interesting interaction.

grampyseer likes this.
  17. grampyseer

Warcor

Yep. I also consider the mine to have been a stronger option than the flamethrower (retrospectively.)

This was pure boneheadedness, but I’m going to hang a portion of that on an atrophied decision making mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. grampyseer

Warcor

Mind you, they were behind one of those slanty-backed warsenal bunkers, so I’m not sure I could have kept out of LOF and still placed a mine where it would actually detonate.

Nevertheless, poor play coupled with worse dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Maksimas

If it's any form of comfort... I would've probably done the same with the Tik TBH. Mostly because I prefer to take the high-risk high-reward approaches when possible.

It may seem suicidal in most cases, but such recklessness has saved me too many games for me to not feel justified in such approaches.

But that's just my two cents.

grampyseer likes this.
  20. grampyseer

Warcor

Yeah, I often refuse the safest play. I didn't drive three hours to "lay it up," I'll tell you that for free.

Maksimas likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation